Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Images do not display.

Images do not display.

Dave Kelly

Would someone look here and tell me why these images do not display.
http://www.texasflyfishers.org/images/HarryCCI.htm
Thanks.
Dave

--
A little rum in the morning coffee. Just to clear the cobwebs, ya know.

Dave Kelly

Dave Kelly wrote:
> Would someone look here and tell me why these images do not display.
> http://www.texasflyfishers.org/images/HarryCCI.htm
> Thanks.
> Dave

Let me clarify that a little more. Most of the images seem to be doing
just fine. Three do not display.

A little rum in the morning coffee. Just to clear the cobwebs, ya know.

Jonathan N. Little

Dave Kelly wrote:
> Would someone look here and tell me why these images do not display.
> http://www.texasflyfishers.org/images/HarryCCI.htm
> Thanks.
> Dave

Maybe the embedded carriage returns and punctuation like "?" in the
image names!

"Bill demonstrates how to cast a whopper. This was number two.
The first one was much nicer. David's slow reaction missed it.JPG"

try "BillCastsWhopper.JPG" as a better file name!!!

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Neredbojias

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 22:37:42 GMT Dave Kelly scribed:

> Would someone look here and tell me why these images do not display.
> http://www.texasflyfishers.org/images/HarryCCI.htm
> Thanks.
> Dave

Regarding the non-functional images, you've got line-feeds embedded within
the file name.

--
Neredbojias

dorayme

In article <9f27b$46747238$40cba7a8$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> Dave Kelly wrote:
> > Would someone look here and tell me why these images do not display.
> > http://www.texasflyfishers.org/images/HarryCCI.htm
> > Thanks.
> > Dave
> >

> Maybe the embedded carriage returns and punctuation like "?" in the
> image names!
>
> "Bill demonstrates how to cast a whopper. This was number two.
> The first one was much nicer. David's slow reaction missed it.JPG"
>

> try "BillCastsWhopper.JPG" as a better file name!!!

Well, OPs names are quite a blast. Op should try at the least
removing the full stops in the ones that do not load. They
confuse the issue badly. The others load fine in some browsers
inspite of the prolixity of the names

--
dorayme

Dave Kelly

Dave Kelly wrote:
> Would someone look here and tell me why these images do not display.
> http://www.texasflyfishers.org/images/HarryCCI.htm
> Thanks.
> Dave

Would like to thank everyone for reminding an old man to do his homework
before raising his hand and asking for help.

Also to chastise me sternly for forgetting that I had almost the same
problem last week and figured it out myself.

Do have a question. Is it the 'html' code that has trouble reading the
file name with the embedded line feed? I ask that because on a linux
system, both 'gwenview' and 'display' read and displayed those images
without any problems.

--
A little rum in the morning coffee. Just to clear the cobwebs, ya know.

Blinky the Shark

Dave Kelly wrote:
> Dave Kelly wrote:
>> Would someone look here and tell me why these images do not display.
>> http://www.texasflyfishers.org/images/HarryCCI.htm
>> Thanks.
>> Dave
>>

> Would like to thank everyone for reminding an old man to do his homework
> before raising his hand and asking for help.
>
> Also to chastise me sternly for forgetting that I had almost the same
> problem last week and figured it out myself.
>
> Do have a question. Is it the 'html' code that has trouble reading the
> file name with the embedded line feed? I ask that because on a linux
> system, both 'gwenview' and 'display' read and displayed those images
> without any problems.

In simple terms, technical language aside: four-sentence paragraphs used
as filenames are just plain silly.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2007-06-17, Dave Kelly wrote:
> Dave Kelly wrote:
>> Would someone look here and tell me why these images do not display.
>> http://www.texasflyfishers.org/images/HarryCCI.htm
>> Thanks.
>> Dave
>>

> Would like to thank everyone for reminding an old man to do his homework
> before raising his hand and asking for help.
>
> Also to chastise me sternly for forgetting that I had almost the same
> problem last week and figured it out myself.
>
> Do have a question. Is it the 'html' code that has trouble reading the
> file name with the embedded line feed? I ask that because on a linux
> system, both 'gwenview' and 'display' read and displayed those images
> without any problems.

While any character except a slash and NUL (ASCII 0) are
permissible in a Unix file name, portability is not guaranteed
unless only characters in the Portable Filename Character Set
(letters, numbers, underscore, hyphen and dot) are used:

<http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/basedefs/xbd_chap03.html#tag_03_276>

Author:

Jonathan N. Little

Dave Kelly wrote:
> Dave Kelly wrote:
>> Would someone look here and tell me why these images do not display.
>> http://www.texasflyfishers.org/images/HarryCCI.htm
>> Thanks.
>> Dave
>>

> Would like to thank everyone for reminding an old man to do his homework
> before raising his hand and asking for help.
>
> Also to chastise me sternly for forgetting that I had almost the same
> problem last week and figured it out myself.
>
> Do have a question. Is it the 'html' code that has trouble reading the
> file name with the embedded line feed? I ask that because on a linux
> system, both 'gwenview' and 'display' read and displayed those images
> without any problems.

Don't beat yourself up too much. Many Windoweans have been caught by
Windows' case-insensitivity and then upload to a *nix server and the
pictures|pages are missing!

But just a a practical level a paragraph seems a bit excessive for a
file name.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Neredbojias

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 20:25:50 GMT Dave Kelly scribed:

> Dave Kelly wrote:
> Do have a question. Is it the 'html' code that has trouble reading the
> file name with the embedded line feed? I ask that because on a linux
> system, both 'gwenview' and 'display' read and displayed those images
> without any problems.

It's the parser of the markup that counts.

--
Neredbojias