Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > DIMM memory question

DIMM memory question

I have a question about Dimm memory boards. I bought a computer at garage
sale. It is an HP Pentium 4 with a 1.5 Ghz processor, Windows XP. When I got
it home I found that it runs much slower than my Pentium 2 with 500 Mhz
processor and 256 k of memory that I am currently using. In fact, it takes
around 3 minutes to boot up and when it boots up it takes over one minute
for all the icons to appear on the screen. The longer I use the computer the
slower it gets which makes me suspect insufficient memory. I ran virus and
spyware/adware checks with recently updated Symantec and Zonealarm and it is
clean of them.

I opened it up and found one 256k memory board installed that looks like it
may not be the original one that came with the computer. I pulled it out and
installed a 512K memory board and the computer refused to boot up with it. I
pulled it out and installed two 128K memory boards and it booted up but
still slow. I pulled them out and installed a 256K memory board and it
booted up a little faster but still very slow. I noticed that several of the
spare Dimm memory boards that I have have labels on them that tell the size,
such as 128K, 256K, etc., but some also say "100 Mhz", "150 Mhz", etc.

Does the 100 and 150 Mhz matter? Is it okay to mix/mismatch the 100 & 150
Mhz memory boards in the computer? Also, some of my Dimm boards say "Dell",
some say "HP", and some are off brands. Does that matter? I tried to run the
XP version of scandisk and it says that it cannot check the disk because the
drive or a program has exclusive use of the drive. I wonder if that is due
to the memory boards. Thanks for helping out on this.

- Bobb -

"j" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4eYci.19816$(E-Mail Removed) t...
>I have a question about Dimm memory boards. I bought a computer at garage
> sale. It is an HP Pentium 4 with a 1.5 Ghz processor, Windows XP. When I
> got
> it home I found that it runs much slower than my Pentium 2 with 500 Mhz
> processor and 256 k of memory that I am currently using. In fact, it
> takes
> around 3 minutes to boot up and when it boots up it takes over one
> minute
> for all the icons to appear on the screen. The longer I use the computer
> the
> slower it gets which makes me suspect insufficient memory. I ran virus
> and
> spyware/adware checks with recently updated Symantec and Zonealarm and
> it is
> clean of them.

What does event log show - any errors under system or application log ?
( right-click My Computer - Manage - Event Viewer.) What app and what
version of Symantec ? Turn OFF NAV - PC run OK now ? I can tell you
neighbor had NAV2006 and 128mb mem - was fine - upgraded to NAV2007 and
became a dog until added memory to it. NAV2007 needs 256mb to run. If you
have on CD - uninstall it from the PC and reboot.( it's mb not K )

> I opened it up and found one 256k memory board installed that looks like
> it
> may not be the original one that came with the computer. I pulled it out
> and
> installed a 512K memory board and the computer refused to boot up with
> it. I
> pulled it out and installed two 128K memory boards and it booted up but
> still slow. I pulled them out and installed a 256K memory board and it
> booted up a little faster but still very slow. I noticed that several of
> the
> spare Dimm memory boards that I have have labels on them that tell the
> size,
> such as 128K, 256K, etc., but some also say "100 Mhz", "150 Mhz", etc.

Mixing mem speeds generally will slow down the faster ones. So a 150mhz +
100Mhz mixed will run at 100mhz.
Control Panel - system will show CPU speed and mem total size. Since ( IF)
XP is seeing the memory, I'd say they're OK. Also, since you've tried a
LOT of combos, I'd lean toward application issue rather than memory issue.
Run Crapcleaner ( from download.com) and let it clean up outdated/unused
registry items.
Go here and have HP size up your PC
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/...plit%2Fsupport
DO you have / can you order from that website, the restore CD's for your
PC ?

> Does the 100 and 150 Mhz matter? Is it okay to mix/mismatch the 100 &
> 150
> Mhz memory boards in the computer? Also, some of my Dimm boards say
> "Dell",
> some say "HP", and some are off brands. Does that matter? I tried to run
> the
> XP version of scandisk and it says that it cannot check the disk because
> the
> drive or a program has exclusive use of the drive. I wonder if that is
> due
> to the memory boards. Thanks for helping out on this.

Report back here with HP scan if more help needed.

Capheind

On Jun 16, 2:03 pm, "j" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a question about Dimm memory boards. I bought a computer at garage
> sale. It is an HP Pentium 4 with a 1.5 Ghz processor, Windows XP. When I got
> it home I found that it runs much slower than my Pentium 2 with 500 Mhz
> processor and 256 k of memory that I am currently using. In fact, it takes
> around 3 minutes to boot up and when it boots up it takes over one minute
> for all the icons to appear on the screen. The longer I use the computer the
> slower it gets which makes me suspect insufficient memory. I ran virus and
> spyware/adware checks with recently updated Symantec and Zonealarm and it is
> clean of them.
>
> I opened it up and found one 256k memory board installed that looks like it
> may not be the original one that came with the computer. I pulled it out and
> installed a 512K memory board and the computer refused to boot up with it. I
> pulled it out and installed two 128K memory boards and it booted up but
> still slow. I pulled them out and installed a 256K memory board and it
> booted up a little faster but still very slow. I noticed that several of the
> spare Dimm memory boards that I have have labels on them that tell the size,
> such as 128K, 256K, etc., but some also say "100 Mhz", "150 Mhz", etc.
>
> Does the 100 and 150 Mhz matter? Is it okay to mix/mismatch the 100 & 150
> Mhz memory boards in the computer? Also, some of my Dimm boards say "Dell",
> some say "HP", and some are off brands. Does that matter? I tried to run the
> XP version of scandisk and it says that it cannot check the disk because the
> drive or a program has exclusive use of the drive. I wonder if that is due
> to the memory boards. Thanks for helping out on this.

Could you install SIW* and post a report from that with your memory in
each configuration? I have a suspicion but I can't be sure yet.

*SIW can be found here. Its freeware and very useful so I'd just keep
it installed.
http://download.softpedia.com/dl/f60...m/info/siw.exe

- Bobb -

also, for just memory info: