Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > can I install a complete internet explorer "on top" of a previos version?

can I install a complete internet explorer "on top" of a previos version?

freestonew

hi all.

How "safe" is it to install a higher version of internet explorer, the
complete install, on top of an earlier version?!

I have a win98se machine and I have no internet connection for it, and
there is an important program, that I now have, that needs internet
explorer 5.1, but I have explorer 5.0!

I have downloaded 5.1 and 5.5, from an internet archive into a
folder; each is an entire install-from-scratch, apparently, explorer.

I *could* just install one of the versions "on top of" the 5.0 that I
have now, but is this OK and safe to do?!
Are there any precautions that I should take?

I am not going to use this machine for the internet, but oh dear,
windows is so interlaced with explorer.

which of the two versions should i install? the 5.1 or the 5.5?

thanks...freestone

Ikannz Bantisls

I have expirienced the same problem.

Simply install Internet Explorer 5.5 and do not worry.

IE 5.1 is not a good thing in my opinion... never tried it.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

freestonew wrote:

> which of the two versions should i install? the 5.1 or the 5.5?

6.0 should work on Win98SE.

At the very least use 5.5; forget about 5.1 ...

--
-bts

Plato

freestonew wrote:

> How "safe" is it to install a higher version of internet explorer, the
> complete install, on top of an earlier version?!

Not safe at all in your internet browser is working. One can always use
Firefox.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/