Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > 500GB LaCie external HD problem

500GB LaCie external HD problem

WCH

Have had a 500GB LaCie external for about two years. Based on its size
I'd guess it's the kind that has two 250GB drives inside the enclosure.
I've read about how many LaCie drives fail and how their 2-drive
externals fail a lot (read it too late, unfortunately). But my problem
seems a little different. When I plug in the power cable and the USB
cord the drive no longer is detected by the PC and powers up (some power
supplies go on LaCies). OK. But if I press the power button the drive
DOES power up. And the flashing light blinks for a bit while I hear
hard drive noises and then settles into a steady blue glow (I read that
if your power light keeps blinking it means something bad). So I have
power, I have hard disk activity, but the drive isn't recognized (I've
tried it in three PCs with the same result). The drive has firewire
connections too but I don't have a firewire cable. Would it be worth
going out to get the cable to try that option or is there something here
that tells me my drive is toast no matter what?
WC

Meat Plow

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 09:10:15 -0400, WCH wrote:

> Have had a 500GB LaCie external for about two years. Based on its size
> I'd guess it's the kind that has two 250GB drives inside the enclosure.
> I've read about how many LaCie drives fail and how their 2-drive
> externals fail a lot (read it too late, unfortunately). But my problem
> seems a little different. When I plug in the power cable and the USB
> cord the drive no longer is detected by the PC and powers up (some power
> supplies go on LaCies). OK. But if I press the power button the drive
> DOES power up. And the flashing light blinks for a bit while I hear
> hard drive noises and then settles into a steady blue glow (I read that
> if your power light keeps blinking it means something bad). So I have
> power, I have hard disk activity, but the drive isn't recognized (I've
> tried it in three PCs with the same result). The drive has firewire
> connections too but I don't have a firewire cable. Would it be worth
> going out to get the cable to try that option or is there something here
> that tells me my drive is toast no matter what?
> WC

i would switch to fire, usb and xp have some issues with removable/usb
external drives than sometimes can't be fixed.

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
#8 AUK Hate Machine Cog