Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > A Photo Made Possible by Modern Camera Technology

A Photo Made Possible by Modern Camera Technology

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

Rich wrote:

>> I agree! Us unfortunate souls have to suffer with a 70-200mm VR and
>> a 2x Torque Converter. Sadly Nikon doesn't make a 400/2.8VR or
>> 500/4VR.
>>
>> <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2007/watching.htm>

> People who buy the 70-200mm are spoiled. When they go to get
> something else, it never seems as sharp.

You're not kidding. This is one of the reasons why people that own the
18-200mm VR call it a great lens. They never used a real lens like the
70-200mm VR before. The addition of the 2x TC softens the 70-200 up a bit,
but it still gives usable images.

Rita

Mike Russell wrote:

>> No other post-processing except cropping and resizing:

>> http://www.mhmyers.com/d80/CSC_5940n.jpg

> Good job! Here's my version after using sharpening and curves:
> http://mike.russell-home.net/tmp/tweet/

Looks nice, but I think it lost a lot of details in the shadows and is a bit
on the dark side. The sharpening was a nice touch.

Rita

M-M

In article <iG4di.16755$(E-Mail Removed) >,
"Mike Russell" <(E-Mail Removed)-MOVE> wrote:

> > http://www.mhmyers.com/d80/CSC_5940n.jpg

> Good job! Here's my version after using sharpening and curves:
> http://mike.russell-home.net/tmp/tweet/
> --
> Mike Russell - www.curvemeister.com

Big difference! When do we get a Mac version of Curvemeister?

--
m-m

M-M

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:

> The addition of the 2x TC softens the 70-200 up a bit,
> but it still gives usable images.

How does the TC affect the aperture?

--
m-m

John McWilliams

M-M wrote:
> In article <iG4di.16755$(E-Mail Removed) >,
> "Mike Russell" <(E-Mail Removed)-MOVE> wrote:
>
>>> http://www.mhmyers.com/d80/CSC_5940n.jpg

>> Good job! Here's my version after using sharpening and curves:
>> http://mike.russell-home.net/tmp/tweet/

> Big difference! When do we get a Mac version of Curvemeister?

Heh, Mike will have to do some work....

I think a lot of answers might come if you posted also the same photo,
but running "convert to profile" and choosing sRGB.

Some will be amazed to see the difference side by side.

--
john mcwilliams

Paul Furman

A 2x TC makes f/2.8 into f/5.6 @ 400mm
A 1.4x TC makes f/2.8 into f/4 @ 280mm

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://www.edgehill.net/1

Paul Furman

Rita Berkowitz wrote:

> Mike Russell wrote:
>
>>> No other post-processing except cropping and resizing:

>>> http://www.mhmyers.com/d80/CSC_5940n.jpg

>> Good job! Here's my version after using sharpening and curves:
>> http://mike.russell-home.net/tmp/tweet/

> Looks nice, but I think it lost a lot of details in the shadows and is a
> bit on the dark side. The sharpening was a nice touch.

I don't see any significant shadow detail loss. The sharpening is good
but that also brings out the grain from ISO 400... the way around that
is to sharpen a duplicate layer & mask out the OOF background areas to
keep them smooth.

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://www.edgehill.net/1

M-M

In article <ouedi.4519$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> A 2x TC makes f/2.8 into f/5.6 @ 400mm
> A 1.4x TC makes f/2.8 into f/4 @ 280mm

Still not too bad!

--
m-m

M-M

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> M-M wrote:

> >> Good job! Here's my version after using sharpening and curves:
> >> http://mike.russell-home.net/tmp/tweet/

> > Big difference! When do we get a Mac version of Curvemeister?
> >

> Heh, Mike will have to do some work....
>
> I think a lot of answers might come if you posted also the same photo,
> but running "convert to profile" and choosing sRGB.
>
> Some will be amazed to see the difference side by side.

OK, but I cannot find "convert to profile..." in the Elements menus.

--
m-m

Mike Russell

"M-M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <iG4di.16755$(E-Mail Removed) >,
> "Mike Russell" <(E-Mail Removed)-MOVE> wrote:
>
>> > http://www.mhmyers.com/d80/CSC_5940n.jpg

>> Good job! Here's my version after using sharpening and curves:
>> http://mike.russell-home.net/tmp/tweet/
>> --
>> Mike Russell - www.curvemeister.com

> Big difference! When do we get a Mac version of Curvemeister?

I'd love to have a Mac version - Dan Margulis could use it then, as well as
yourself!
--
Mike Russell - www.curvemeister.com