Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > A Photo Made Possible by Modern Camera Technology

A Photo Made Possible by Modern Camera Technology

soulis

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 11:37:58 -0400, Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04
@aol.com> wrote:

>maria wrote:
>
>> I took the liberty of playting with the image a little.
>> I will delete it in a couple of hours.
>>
>> http://www.soulis.org/image.jpg

>It looks like you got a bit too aggressive in PS. Here's a version with a
>bit more life in it. I will delete it in several hours.
>
><http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2007/pics/CSC_5940nn.jpg>
>

>Rita

I made the image sharper and more contrasty.
I consider it copyrighted by its owner. That is why
I deleted it. If you want to see my work, over 800 images, total,
please go to

http://www.pbase.com/soulis/soulis_c..._impressionism

I think that you won't be disappointed.
Thank you guys.

soulis

George Kerby

On 6/16/07 10:37 AM, in article http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), "Rita
Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:

> maria wrote:
>
>> I took the liberty of playting with the image a little.
>> I will delete it in a couple of hours.
>>
>> http://www.soulis.org/image.jpg

> It looks like you got a bit too aggressive in PS. Here's a version with a
> bit more life in it. I will delete it in several hours.
>
> <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2007/pics/CSC_5940nn.jpg>
>

> Rita

Pretty damn good.

M-M

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > I also inset the original underexposed image with the histograms showing
> > how the camera changed the levels:
> >
> > http://www.mhmyers.com/temp/CSC_5940ps.jpg
> >

> What color space are you working in? What was it exported to for the web?

I wish I understood that concept better. I did get some sort of warning
in Photoshop when I flattened it.

What do I look for to get you your answer?

--
m-m

ASAAR

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:33:20 -0400, M-M wrote:

>> What color space are you working in? What was it exported to for the web?

> I wish I understood that concept better. I did get some sort of warning
> in Photoshop when I flattened it.
>
> What do I look for to get you your answer?

The EXIF shows that the color space used was sRGB. The D80 has
two sRGB menu options, Ia and IIIa. I'm not familiar enough with
the EXIF to know if it has any info. buried within it to distinguish
between Ia and IIIa. The manual indicates that Ia is preferable for
portraits and IIIa is better used for nature or landscape shots.

John McWilliams

ASAAR wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:33:20 -0400, M-M wrote:
>
>>> What color space are you working in? What was it exported to for the web?

>> I wish I understood that concept better. I did get some sort of warning
>> in Photoshop when I flattened it.
>>
>> What do I look for to get you your answer?

> The EXIF shows that the color space used was sRGB. The D80 has
> two sRGB menu options, Ia and IIIa. I'm not familiar enough with
> the EXIF to know if it has any info. buried within it to distinguish
> between Ia and IIIa. The manual indicates that Ia is preferable for
> portraits and IIIa is better used for nature or landscape shots.

The image, tho, is untagged, and for whatever reason, shows just like an
aRBG image does in a color-UNmanaged browser; but it also shows poorly
in Safari, which is color managed.

However, it displays just right in PS, and then, by *assigning* the sRGB
space, it displays right in Safari, but not Firefox.

By *"converting"* it to sRGB, it displays right in both above browsers.
The assigning and converting do not gainsay that it was done in sRGB all
the way; just reporting what occurred here.

--
John McWilliams

John McWilliams

M-M wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> I also inset the original underexposed image with the histograms showing
>>> how the camera changed the levels:
>>>
>>> http://www.mhmyers.com/temp/CSC_5940ps.jpg
>>>

>> What color space are you working in? What was it exported to for the web?

> I wish I understood that concept better. I did get some sort of warning
> in Photoshop when I flattened it.
>
> What do I look for to get you your answer?

I think a lot of answers might come if you posted also the same photo,
but running "convert to profile" and choosing sRGB. Yes, I do believe
that that's the space you've been working in, but on the web site, it's
showing that it's "untagged"; therefor no "official" color space.

--
John McWilliams

M-M

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
ASAAR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:33:20 -0400, M-M wrote:
>
> >> What color space are you working in? What was it exported to for the web?

> > I wish I understood that concept better. I did get some sort of warning
> > in Photoshop when I flattened it.
> >
> > What do I look for to get you your answer?

> The EXIF shows that the color space used was sRGB. The D80 has
> two sRGB menu options, Ia and IIIa. I'm not familiar enough with
> the EXIF to know if it has any info. buried within it to distinguish
> between Ia and IIIa. The manual indicates that Ia is preferable for
> portraits and IIIa is better used for nature or landscape shots.

The color mode on my camera is IIIa. Now what?

--
m-m

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

RichA wrote:

> I wish I had VR. 1/125sec, handheld 300mm (600mm equivalent).
> http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/80148044

I agree! Us unfortunate souls have to suffer with a 70-200mm VR and a 2x
Torque Converter. Sadly Nikon doesn't make a 400/2.8VR or 500/4VR.

<http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2007/watching.htm>

Rita

Rich

On Jun 16, 9:10 pm, Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
> RichA wrote:
> > I wish I had VR. 1/125sec, handheld 300mm (600mm equivalent).
> >http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/80148044

> I agree! Us unfortunate souls have to suffer with a 70-200mm VR and a 2x
> Torque Converter. Sadly Nikon doesn't make a 400/2.8VR or 500/4VR.
>
> <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2007/watching.htm>
>
> Rita

People who buy the 70-200mm are spoiled. When they go to get
something else, it never seems as sharp.

Mike Russell

From: "M-M" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> The technology that saved the day:
> Nikon VR: The exposure was 1/30 handheld at 300mm (450 equiv)!
> Nikon D-Lighting: It was underexposed and corrected in-camera. I know it
> is possible to produce the same effect with Photoshop, but I couldn't
> with Elements. I think you need to use curves.

> No other post-processing except cropping and resizing:

> http://www.mhmyers.com/d80/CSC_5940n.jpg

Good job! Here's my version after using sharpening and curves:
http://mike.russell-home.net/tmp/tweet/
--
Mike Russell - www.curvemeister.com