Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows XP freezes when USB mouse/keyboard are attached but not when a serial set is attached

Windows XP freezes when USB mouse/keyboard are attached but not when a serial set is attached

John Dalberg

Windows XP SP2 freezes when it's rebooting and the desktop starts showing.
Up to this point I can move the mouse and then the computer freezes. This
happens only when I am connected using a USB mouse and keyboard (through a
hub). The system reboots fine when there's another set of serial mouse and
keyboard attached. At this point there are two sets of mice and keyboards.
One USB and one serial.

I am trying to find out why the system freezes when the USB only set is
attached.

John Dalberg

Plato

John Dalberg wrote:

> Windows XP SP2 freezes when it's rebooting and the desktop starts showing.
> Up to this point I can move the mouse and then the computer freezes. This
> happens only when I am connected using a USB mouse and keyboard (through a
> hub). The system reboots fine when there's another set of serial mouse and
> keyboard attached. At this point there are two sets of mice and keyboards.
> One USB and one serial.
>
> I am trying to find out why the system freezes when the USB only set is
> attached.

Using a standard mouse and keyboard is ALWAYS best with any OS.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

JANA

You should not use a USB keyboard and mouse through a USB hub. The system
cannot see the confirmations for these devices when used through a hub.

It is actually best to use a standard keyboard for best results, and use a
USB mouse directly with no hub. I have seen a number of problems with USB
keyboards. Some applications in some systems will freeze with a USB
keyboard.

--

JANA
_____

news:20070616012052.528$(E-Mail Removed)...

Plato <|@|.|> wrote:
> John Dalberg wrote:
> >
> > Windows XP SP2 freezes when it's rebooting and the desktop starts
> > showing. Up to this point I can move the mouse and then the computer
> > freezes. This happens only when I am connected using a USB mouse and
> > keyboard (through a hub). The system reboots fine when there's another
> > set of serial mouse and keyboard attached. At this point there are two
> > sets of mice and keyboards. One USB and one serial.
> >
> > I am trying to find out why the system freezes when the USB only set is
> > attached.

> Using a standard mouse and keyboard is ALWAYS best with any OS.

To use a multifunction mouse, it needs to be using USB.

John Dalberg

Kraftee

John Dalberg wrote:
> Plato <|@|.|> wrote:
>> John Dalberg wrote:
>>>
>>> Windows XP SP2 freezes when it's rebooting and the desktop starts
>>> showing. Up to this point I can move the mouse and then the
>>> computer freezes. This happens only when I am connected using a
>>> USB mouse and keyboard (through a hub). The system reboots fine
>>> when there's another set of serial mouse and keyboard attached.
>>> At this point there are two sets of mice and keyboards. One USB
>>> and one serial.
>>>
>>> I am trying to find out why the system freezes when the USB only
>>> set is attached.

>> Using a standard mouse and keyboard is ALWAYS best with any OS.

> To use a multifunction mouse, it needs to be using USB.
>
> John Dalberg

Try taking a good look at the market, there are plenty out there which
don't have to be USB. Now whether you choose to use USB or not is
your decision....