Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > date time difference

date time difference

bbawa1@yahoo.com

Hi,

I have a table which has a field ItemsReceived of type datetime. I
have a grid view which has two columns.

In first column i have to show the data from field ItemsReceived and
in second column I have to show
difference between Currenttime and date from ItemReceived. How can I
do that.

e'g

ItemRecieved Difference
6/13/2007 12:38am 1d 21h 45m
6/13/2007 3:54pm 1d 06h 10m
6/15/2007 12:26pm 34m

So the second coulmn displays the difference of current time minus
ItemRecieved. the format shouild be <mintues>m,

How can I do that.

Thanks in advance

Hi there,

I prepared an example that you get you on the right track:

<script runat="server">

{
gridView.DataSource = GetData();
gridView.DataBind();
}

private System.Data.DataTable GetData()
{
System.Data.DataTable table =
new System.Data.DataTable();

table.Columns.Add("Id", typeof(int));
table.Columns.Add("ItemRecieved", typeof(DateTime));
table.Columns.Add("Difference", typeof(TimeSpan));
//t.ColumnChanged += new DataColumnChangeEventHandler(t_ColumnChanged);
table.ColumnChanged +=
new System.Data.DataColumnChangeEventHandler(table_Col umnChanged);

for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++)
{
System.Data.DataRow row = table.NewRow();
row[0] = i;
row[1] = DateTime.Now.AddDays((double)i);
table.Rows.Add(row);
}

return table;
}

private void table_ColumnChanged(object sender,
System.Data.DataColumnChangeEventArgs e)
{
if (e.Column.ColumnName == "ItemRecieved")
{
DateTime date = (DateTime)e.Row["ItemRecieved"];
e.Row["Difference"] = DateTime.Now - date;
}
}
</script>

<asp:GridView runat="server" ID="gridView"
AutoGenerateColumns="false">
<Columns>
<asp:BoundField DataField="Id" />
<asp:BoundField DataField="ItemRecieved" />
<asp:BoundField DataField="Difference"
DataFormatString="{0:-d.hh:mm:ss}" />
</Columns>
</asp:GridView>

Hope this helps

--
Milosz

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a table which has a field ItemsReceived of type datetime. I
> have a grid view which has two columns.
>
> In first column i have to show the data from field ItemsReceived and
> in second column I have to show
> difference between Currenttime and date from ItemReceived. How can I
> do that.
>
> e'g
>
> ItemRecieved Difference
> 6/13/2007 12:38am 1d 21h 45m
> 6/13/2007 3:54pm 1d 06h 10m
> 6/15/2007 12:26pm 34m
>
> So the second coulmn displays the difference of current time minus
> ItemRecieved. the format shouild be <mintues>m,
>
> How can I do that.
>
> Thanks in advance

bbawa1@yahoo.com

On Jun 15, 4:16 pm, Milosz Skalecki [MCAD] <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I prepared an example that you get you on the right track:
>
> <script runat="server">

> {
> gridView.DataSource = GetData();
> gridView.DataBind();
>
> }
>
> private System.Data.DataTable GetData()
> {
> System.Data.DataTable table =
> new System.Data.DataTable();
>
> table.Columns.Add("Id", typeof(int));
> table.Columns.Add("ItemRecieved", typeof(DateTime));
> table.Columns.Add("Difference", typeof(TimeSpan));
> //t.ColumnChanged += new DataColumnChangeEventHandler(t_ColumnChanged);
> table.ColumnChanged +=
> new System.Data.DataColumnChangeEventHandler(table_Col umnChanged);
>
> for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++)
> {
> System.Data.DataRow row = table.NewRow();
> row[0] = i;
> row[1] = DateTime.Now.AddDays((double)i);
> table.Rows.Add(row);
> }
>
> return table;
>
> }
>
> private void table_ColumnChanged(object sender,
> System.Data.DataColumnChangeEventArgs e)
> {
> if (e.Column.ColumnName == "ItemRecieved")
> {
> DateTime date = (DateTime)e.Row["ItemRecieved"];
> e.Row["Difference"] = DateTime.Now - date;
> }}
>
> </script>
>
> <asp:GridView runat="server" ID="gridView"
> AutoGenerateColumns="false">
> <Columns>
> <asp:BoundField DataField="Id" />
> <asp:BoundField DataField="ItemRecieved" />
> <asp:BoundField DataField="Difference"
> DataFormatString="{0:-d.hh:mm:ss}" />
> </Columns>
> </asp:GridView>
>
> Hope this helps
>
> --
> Milosz
>

> "(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:
> > Hi,

> > I have a table which has a field ItemsReceived of type datetime. I
> > have a grid view which has two columns.

> > In first column i have to show the data from field ItemsReceived and
> > in second column I have to show
> > difference between Currenttime and date from ItemReceived. How can I
> > do that.

> > e'g

> > ItemRecieved Difference
> > 6/13/2007 12:38am 1d 21h 45m
> > 6/13/2007 3:54pm 1d 06h 10m
> > 6/15/2007 12:26pm 34m

> > So the second coulmn displays the difference of current time minus
> > ItemRecieved. the format shouild be <mintues>m,

> > How can I do that.

> > Thanks in advance- Hide quoted text -

Here I am grabbing Itemrecieved and ID from the tables. I am using
the following query. In your code where should I use that query to get
other fields.

select tck.tcktreceived, tck.ticketid, tckmsg.tcktmessage
from tbtickets tck inner join tbticketsmessages tckmsg
on tck.ticketid = tckmsg.ticketid.

Howdy,

Pseudocode:

DataTable table = new DataTable();

table.Columns.Add("Difference", typeof(TimeSpan));
table.ColumnChanged +=
new System.Data.DataColumnChangeEventHandler(table_Col umnChanged);

using (SqlConnection connection = new SqlConnection(ConnectionString))
{
SqlDataAdapter adapter = new SqlDataAdapter(query, connection);
adapter.Fill(table);
}

You should be fine from this point.
--