Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP shutdown dialog

XP shutdown dialog

Paul B

Hi,

I've got two Windows XP Home computers, both fully updated. On
one, when I go to shutdown I get a graphic box with three icons
on it, for stand by, turn off, and restart.

On the second machine I instead get a dialog box with a drop-down
box containing the three choices. I'd like to have the second
machine behave like the first, because I frequently turn it on
without its monitor on, just to use it for backups. I'm familiar
enough with the first computer's behavior to shut it down without
visual aid. Is there some way to control which shutdown dialog
displays?

Thanks,
p.

WhzzKdd

"Paul B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I've got two Windows XP Home computers, both fully updated. On
> one, when I go to shutdown I get a graphic box with three icons
> on it, for stand by, turn off, and restart.
>
> On the second machine I instead get a dialog box with a drop-down
> box containing the three choices. I'd like to have the second
> machine behave like the first, because I frequently turn it on
> without its monitor on, just to use it for backups. I'm familiar
> enough with the first computer's behavior to shut it down without
> visual aid. Is there some way to control which shutdown dialog
> displays?
>
> Thanks,
> p.

Check your settings for "classic logon screen" and fast user switching -
maybe that has something to do with it.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...switching.mspx
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291559

Paul B

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:59:05 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:

> "Paul B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've got two Windows XP Home computers, both fully updated. On
>> one, when I go to shutdown I get a graphic box with three icons
>> on it, for stand by, turn off, and restart.
>>
>> On the second machine I instead get a dialog box with a drop-down
>> box containing the three choices. I'd like to have the second
>> machine behave like the first, because I frequently turn it on
>> without its monitor on, just to use it for backups. I'm familiar
>> enough with the first computer's behavior to shut it down without
>> visual aid. Is there some way to control which shutdown dialog
>> displays?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> p.

> Check your settings for "classic logon screen" and fast user switching -
> maybe that has something to do with it.
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...switching.mspx
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291559

That did it perfectly, thanks much. I had to turn on the Welcome
screen. That also got rid of the logon, which kept coming back
every time I updated windows, despite being turned off with
TweakUI.

Thanks again,
p.

olfart

"Paul B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I've got two Windows XP Home computers, both fully updated. On
> one, when I go to shutdown I get a graphic box with three icons
> on it, for stand by, turn off, and restart.
>
> On the second machine I instead get a dialog box with a drop-down
> box containing the three choices. I'd like to have the second
> machine behave like the first, because I frequently turn it on
> without its monitor on, just to use it for backups. I'm familiar
> enough with the first computer's behavior to shut it down without
> visual aid. Is there some way to control which shutdown dialog
> displays?
>
> Thanks,
> p.

shutdown.....windows key then U then U
restart.........windows key then U then R