Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Com Port 1 unstable

Com Port 1 unstable

jim fisher

I am running a DELL Dimension 8200 and XP Pro with 1 gig memoey, 2 ghz
board. I have an XP program to control a TNC for digital
communications. The program uses the serial port (Com 1). All too
frequenly, when I boot up and attempt to open the contro program, my
computer shuts down. The only solution so far is to reboot. go to
Device Manager and unistall COM PORT 1 and rebooot. After the computer
is up again, the control program works fine. I have tried to find out
if there is a newer driver for COM1 with no success.

Could there be something wrong with my COM 1 ?? The computer says it
is working fine. My computer is 6 years old. Would a new one have the
same problem ??

Sure would appreciate any helpful thoughts re "stabilizing" COM 1. My
digital work is with a emergency network and having to reboot a couple
of times is a real problem timewise in an actual emergency.

TIA

Dr. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=A7=A4=A4=A7?= =?iso-8859-1?Q?

"jim fisher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am running a DELL Dimension 8200 and XP Pro with 1 gig memoey, 2 ghz
> board. I have an XP program to control a TNC for digital
> communications. The program uses the serial port (Com 1). All too
> frequenly, when I boot up and attempt to open the contro program, my
> computer shuts down. The only solution so far is to reboot. go to
> Device Manager and unistall COM PORT 1 and rebooot. After the computer
> is up again, the control program works fine. I have tried to find out
> if there is a newer driver for COM1 with no success.
>
> Could there be something wrong with my COM 1 ?? The computer says it
> is working fine. My computer is 6 years old. Would a new one have the
> same problem ??
>
> Sure would appreciate any helpful thoughts re "stabilizing" COM 1. My
> digital work is with a emergency network and having to reboot a couple
> of times is a real problem timewise in an actual emergency.

Narrow down the list of suspects:
1) Get a USB > Serial port adapter and plug it in, then run your TNC program
through that to see if the problem can be replicated with a different COM
port.

2) Install the program on another computer, and run from there to see if the
problem can be replicated on a different computer.

If both of the above work fine, it's your COM port that's causing the
problem. Since you'll have a USB > Serial port adapter, you'll also have the
solution to the problem.

If the problem can be replicated in both situations above, it's the TNC
program that's causing the problem.

meerkat

"jim fisher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am running a DELL Dimension 8200 and XP Pro with 1 gig memoey, 2 ghz
> board. I have an XP program to control a TNC for digital
> communications. The program uses the serial port (Com 1). All too
> frequenly, when I boot up and attempt to open the contro program, my
> computer shuts down. The only solution so far is to reboot. go to
> Device Manager and unistall COM PORT 1 and rebooot. After the computer
> is up again, the control program works fine. I have tried to find out
> if there is a newer driver for COM1 with no success.
>
> Could there be something wrong with my COM 1 ?? The computer says it
> is working fine. My computer is 6 years old. Would a new one have the
> same problem ??
>
> Sure would appreciate any helpful thoughts re "stabilizing" COM 1. My
> digital work is with a emergency network and having to reboot a couple
> of times is a real problem timewise in an actual emergency.

A look in your Event Viewer, might throw some light on
the problem Jim.

pcbutts1

From the device manager check or increase the port speed.