Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D80 vs Nikon D200

Nikon D80 vs Nikon D200

davek57

I have a D50 and love its light weight and stellar metering. But I'm
not sure it's a combat-ready body. I'm considering the D80 for its
better metering, or the D200 so I don't have to worry about bonking it
about. Any thoughts, opinions, watch-outs would be helpful.

Thanks.

-CD

nsag

The D200 may survive a tad more abuse than a D50 but that is not why most
users would consider the upgrade.
If you are satisfied with your D50 the two main differences you will find in
the D80/200 are the vastly, vastly improved viewing system (worth the
upgrade to me) and the larger sensor (which is not necessarily so
overwhelmingly better for most uses that it justifies the upgrade).
Focusing and metering systems will not be better if you are already
satisfied with what you get in your D50. The options for jpeg processing are
more sophisticated in 80/200s but if you shoot raw then you don't care about
that either.

Scott Schuckert

In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
davek57 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a D50 and love its light weight and stellar metering. But I'm
> not sure it's a combat-ready body. I'm considering the D80 for its
> better metering, or the D200 so I don't have to worry about bonking it
> about. Any thoughts, opinions, watch-outs would be helpful.

The largest difference between the D50 and the 80/200 is the improved
viewfinder. The biggest plus to the D200 is a sturdier body, but it's
at the cost of about 1/2 lb. weight - and somewhere around 300 bucks.

You really shouldn't be banging them around anyway; much as I like the
D200 I think the D80 is a better value.

M-M

In article <150620071142266094%(E-Mail Removed)>,
Scott Schuckert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The largest difference between the D50 and the 80/200 is the improved
> viewfinder. The biggest plus to the D200 is a sturdier body, but it's
> at the cost of about 1/2 lb. weight - and somewhere around 300 bucks.

The D200 also has a faster continuous.

--
m-m

Oliver Costich

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 11:42:26 -0400, Scott Schuckert <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
>davek57 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have a D50 and love its light weight and stellar metering. But I'm
>> not sure it's a combat-ready body. I'm considering the D80 for its
>> better metering, or the D200 so I don't have to worry about bonking it
>> about. Any thoughts, opinions, watch-outs would be helpful.

>The largest difference between the D50 and the 80/200 is the improved
>viewfinder. The biggest plus to the D200 is a sturdier body, but it's
>at the cost of about 1/2 lb. weight - and somewhere around 300 bucks.
>
>You really shouldn't be banging them around anyway; much as I like the
>D200 I think the D80 is a better value.

And if you are wearing it around your neck for long, the weight
difference is noticeable.

David Ruether

"Scott Schuckert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:150620071142266094%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
> davek57 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I have a D50 and love its light weight and stellar metering. But I'm
>> not sure it's a combat-ready body. I'm considering the D80 for its
>> better metering, or the D200 so I don't have to worry about bonking it
>> about. Any thoughts, opinions, watch-outs would be helpful.

> The largest difference between the D50 and the 80/200 is the improved
> viewfinder. The biggest plus to the D200 is a sturdier body, but it's
> at the cost of about 1/2 lb. weight - and somewhere around 300 bucks.

The D200 can also meter with MF Nikkors, important for those of
us with large collections of these (unlikely true for the OP, though - but
there are many fine used MF Nikkors available at good prices).

> You really shouldn't be banging them around anyway; much as I like the
> D200 I think the D80 is a better value.

And I prefer its smaller size and lower weight in addition to its "lighter"
price...
--
David Ruether
http://www.donferrario.com/ruether

frederick

davek57 wrote:
> I'm considering the D80 for its
> better metering.

Does the D80 have "better metering" than the D50?
I thought that they had the same system.
Perhaps the D200 has a slightly better system for matrix / 3d colour
matrix with more sensors.
Perhaps the D80/D200 is better than the D50/70 for spot metering as it
has more focus points (measured spot follows focus point selection with
Nikon - depending on AF mode).
Certainly the D200 has better metering for use with old MF AI lenses.
I have read some negative comments about the D80 overexposing - but
don't know if this is because default exposure is less conservative than
for the D70/D200 (therefore more like the D50), or whether there's some
reliability problem in some situations. If the former, then that's
easily adjusted for. If the latter (which I doubt), then that's perhaps
another reason to consider the D200. Testing with a borrowed D80, I
couldn't see any problem at all.
I've been using a D70, and as much as I'd like a D200, the faster frame
rate, AF-s / AF-c selector, and metal body etc is of no benefit to me at
all. The D70 has survived over two years of use/abuse with never a hint
of a problem. But the higher res rear LCD with faster zoom/preview,
shutter delay mode, and much better viewfinder are compelling reasons to
get either the D80 or D200. Reviewing raw D70, D80, and D200 images,
the D200 and D80 are AFAICT the same - and with good lenses they are
very good indeed at low ISO, and options for NR in PP are better than
two years ago for occasional high iso shooting. There's almost nothing
at all in extra detail captured over the D70, but the almost complete
absence of moire, aliasing, and demoisaicing artifacts seems to justify
the higher resolution when printing large.

Don Wiss

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, David Ruether <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Scott Schuckert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> The largest difference between the D50 and the 80/200 is the improved
>> viewfinder. The biggest plus to the D200 is a sturdier body, but it's
>> at the cost of about 1/2 lb. weight - and somewhere around 300 bucks.

>The D200 can also meter with MF Nikkors, important for those of
>us with large collections of these (unlikely true for the OP, though - but
>there are many fine used MF Nikkors available at good prices).

I have a D200 and I do not have any old lens. The camera is heavy. Because
of this I'm considering downgrading to a D80. Or wait for the D80
successor. My suggestion to the OP is to only buy a D200 if you have old
lens.

David. I was up in Ithaca this past weekend. I did take some pictures.
Eventually I'll get them on the web. I tried getting some birds in
Sapsucker Woods, but 300 equivalent is not enough when out in the woods.

Joan

The sensor is the same size, just more pixels.

--
Joan

"nsag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:57yci.3983$(E-Mail Removed) ...
: The D200 may survive a tad more abuse than a D50 but that is not why
most
: users would consider the upgrade.
: If you are satisfied with your D50 the two main differences you will
find in
: the D80/200 are the vastly, vastly improved viewing system (worth
the
: upgrade to me) and the larger sensor (which is not necessarily so
: overwhelmingly better for most uses that it justifies the upgrade).
: Focusing and metering systems will not be better if you are already
: satisfied with what you get in your D50. The options for jpeg
processing are
: more sophisticated in 80/200s but if you shoot raw then you don't
care about
: that either.
:
:

Don Wiss

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 14:57:03 -0000, davek57 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm considering the D80 for its
>better metering, or the D200 so I don't have to worry about bonking it
>about. Any thoughts, opinions, watch-outs would be helpful.

I've come across another advantage to a D80 over a D200. I have a new
laptop. The laptop has an Express Card slot instead of the usual PCMCIA
slot. See: http://www.expresscard.org/web/site/

In summary the slot is smaller and faster. The laptop came with a card that
reads SD and similar memory cards. But Compact Flash cards are too big (the
laptop has to read through a USB card reader). So a good reason for me to
switch to an SD camera.