Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > How can I fix a CAB archive that is corrupted?

How can I fix a CAB archive that is corrupted?

=?Utf-8?B?RGVuaXNl?=

Hi, I have Windows XP Pro X64, SATA. I ran an Avast scan last night and one
of the findings was: "msi.dll - Unable to scan. CAB archive is corrupted."

What can I do about this?

--
Denise

~ If you don't know where you came from, you won't know where you're going.

Tony Sperling

The *.CAB files are left on the CD/DVD after installation completes, I think
Avast is having trouble analyzing the content from that disk, nothing save
physical damage to the disk could corrupt your data there. The good reason
to scan CD's is if you have compilations of more or less unknown origin,
usually the process is lengthy, and official installation disks come with
almost no risk, so I take those out when I make a scan.

I would ignore this altogether.

Tony. . .

"Denise" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, I have Windows XP Pro X64, SATA. I ran an Avast scan last night and

one
> of the findings was: "msi.dll - Unable to scan. CAB archive is

corrupted."

> What can I do about this?
>
> --
> Denise
>
> ~ If you don't know where you came from, you won't know where you're

going.

=?Utf-8?B?RGVuaXNl?=

Hi Tony . . . thanks for responding. I didn't have any CD's or DVD's in my
ROM drive when I ran the scan. I have installed programs/data from CD's and
DVD's but I remove the disks as soon as the installation is complete.

Maybe I'm reading you wrong?
--

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> The *.CAB files are left on the CD/DVD after installation completes, I think
> Avast is having trouble analyzing the content from that disk, nothing save
> physical damage to the disk could corrupt your data there. The good reason
> to scan CD's is if you have compilations of more or less unknown origin,
> usually the process is lengthy, and official installation disks come with
> almost no risk, so I take those out when I make a scan.
>
> I would ignore this altogether.
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "Denise" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi, I have Windows XP Pro X64, SATA. I ran an Avast scan last night and

> one
> > of the findings was: "msi.dll - Unable to scan. CAB archive is

> corrupted."
> >
> > What can I do about this?
> >
> > --
> > Denise
> >
> > ~ If you don't know where you came from, you won't know where you're

> going.

Tony Sperling

No, I eat my words. I have CAB files on my HD's too, but I still think this
is an issue of Avast not being able to resolve it's analysis of the file,
which could mean that it is corrupt, but it may just trip on something
because it's in an archived format.

I would try and identify what app the file belongs to and whether or not you
have that app currently installed or uninstalled, this will let you decide
if you can delete it or copy/burn it to another medium and wipe it off the
HD or leave it where it is. But I doubt it is serious. Avast simply fails to
finish it's analysis of this file, and since it is an archive, you most
likely will not need it or miss it - corrupt or not, deleted or left or
whatever.

Tony. . .

"Denise" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Tony . . . thanks for responding. I didn't have any CD's or DVD's in

my
> ROM drive when I ran the scan. I have installed programs/data from CD's

and
> DVD's but I remove the disks as soon as the installation is complete.
>
> Maybe I'm reading you wrong?
> --
> Denise
>
> ~ If you don't know where you came from, you won't know where you're

going.

> "Tony Sperling" wrote:
>
> > The *.CAB files are left on the CD/DVD after installation completes, I

think
> > Avast is having trouble analyzing the content from that disk, nothing

save
> > physical damage to the disk could corrupt your data there. The good

reason
> > to scan CD's is if you have compilations of more or less unknown origin,
> > usually the process is lengthy, and official installation disks come

with
> > almost no risk, so I take those out when I make a scan.
> >
> > I would ignore this altogether.
> >

> > Tony. . .
> >

> > "Denise" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi, I have Windows XP Pro X64, SATA. I ran an Avast scan last night

and
> > one
> > > of the findings was: "msi.dll - Unable to scan. CAB archive is

> > corrupted."
> > >
> > > What can I do about this?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Denise
> > >
> > > ~ If you don't know where you came from, you won't know where you're

> > going.

=?Utf-8?B?RGVuaXNl?=

Thanks . . . I'll run another scan and see what it comes up with. It listed
the location of the files in a report after the scan. If they're that big of
a gulp, I'd like them out of there anyway. I just reformatted my hard drive
about a month ago so I'm surprised that this happened so fast.