Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Subnetting

Subnetting

Jimbo

How important is subnetting on the exams? I have never used
it does this matter?

Jimmy MCP

Rowdy Yates

"Jimbo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:135101c4f660$8abd4690
$(E-Mail Removed):

> How important is subnetting on the exams? I have never used
> it does this matter?
>
> Jimmy MCP

It is important to know. If you don't learn it - you will be a FUGGIN'
IDIOT your entire life.

--
Rowdy Yates, MCNGP #39
http://www.mcngp.com/

beoweolf

It was a big part of the W2K test for 216, maybe some of the others...I
forget.

The thing is, you can get a calculator or an online program to give you the
answers, but that doesn't help you very much and it definitely will drop
your cert score if its still on the exam...are you so good that you can give
up 10% - 20% of your possible score?

Even if you just memorize the CIDR tables for the more common set ups, it
will be Bette than nothing. I will say this,...I know a few hiring managers
that will ask a few questions on subnetting during an interview...just to
see of the guy has a clue. Wheat from the chaff...

"Jimbo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:135101c4f660$8abd4690$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How important is subnetting on the exams? I have never used
> it does this matter?
>
> Jimmy MCP

Who Goes There

In news:135101c4f660$8abd4690$(E-Mail Removed),
Jimbo <(E-Mail Removed)> somehow managed to typed:

> How important is subnetting on the exams? I have never used
> it does this matter?
>
> Jimmy MCP

Yes you will need to know how to subnet and not just for exams

http://www.3com.com/other/pdfs/infra..._US/501302.pdf

www.learntosubnet.com

Jmbo

Thanks Bob,

What are CIDR tables?

Jimmy MCP

billyw

cidr is an alcoholic drink made from apples

no need to thank me

"Jmbo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1d7701c4f687$f0abdf30$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Bob,
>
> What are CIDR tables?
>
> Jimmy MCP

catwalker63

"Jmbo" <(E-Mail Removed)> prattled ceaslessly in
news:1d7701c4f687$f0abdf30$(E-Mail Removed):

> Thanks Bob,
>
> What are CIDR tables?
>
> Jimmy MCP

You really need to study this and know it cold 'cause it's gonna creep
into questions about dns, dhcp, routing, ras, wins, tci/ip -- all over.
It's not just going to be straight subnetting questions. To find out
about CIDR, you need to study tcp/ip and subnetting. The reply from Who
Goes There should give you a good start for resources.

--
Catwalker
aka Pu$$y Feet

"I'm not bossy! I just know what nerdbunchanumbers should be doing!"

Ben

"Who Goes There" <wgt@nowhere> wrote in message
news:41e17a4e$0$16573$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:135101c4f660$8abd4690$(E-Mail Removed),
> Jimbo <(E-Mail Removed)> somehow managed to typed:
>
> > How important is subnetting on the exams? I have never used
> > it does this matter?
> >
> > Jimmy MCP

> Yes you will need to know how to subnet and not just for exams
>
> http://www.3com.com/other/pdfs/infra..._US/501302.pdf
>
> www.learntosubnet.com

Jimmy

I would recommend www.learntosubnet.com, I used it when I first started my
MCSE training (think someone here pointed me to it), and found it an
invaluable source of information, not just on subnetting but tcp/ip as a
whole, I would also recommend reading the 'How the OSI model works' if your
a newbie to networking.

--
Ben

IT Professional, MCP 70-210, 70-214, 70-215
"On my way to becoming fully certifiable!"

"The internet - where men are men, women are men and children are FBI
agents."

=?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=

billyw wrote:
> cidr is an alcoholic drink made from apples
>
> no need to thank me

Let's don't be silly. CIDR is an acronym for Consulting In Dominican
Republic

Kurt

Subnetting is the heart and soul of tcp/ip. I don't remember how many exam
questions there were on it, but in the real world you'll be considered just
this side of worthless if you don't understand it.

....kurt