Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > list server

Reply
Thread Tools

list server

 
 
MaPi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-14-2007
I just set up 'simple' mailing list server, I'm not sure if anyone is
familiar with that. Anyways, I have over 500 clients and most mail servers
will not allow me to send that many emails at once. I also have no idea
what good server software are available.

The mailing list i'm using right now runs on a MySQL server and it's all
php. It uses the email account that I got with the hosting package which
only allows me to send 250 emails per day. I can set up a cron process to
have the emails sent one by one but I've no idea how to do that. I'm
hosted on godaddy if that helps any.

So I really need to get my newsletter out to my client, my only solution
right now is to send them from my mail client and that really sucks.

Any suggestions, documentation and stuff.. well that'd be really
appreciated.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Evan Platt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-14-2007
On 14 Jun 2007 23:16:05 GMT, MaPi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just set up 'simple' mailing list server, I'm not sure if anyone is
>familiar with that.


http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

No.


>Anyways, I have over 500 clients and most mail servers
>will not allow me to send that many emails at once. I also have no idea
>what good server software are available.


500 'clients' or potential spam victims?

>The mailing list i'm using right now runs on a MySQL server and it's all
>php. It uses the email account that I got with the hosting package which
>only allows me to send 250 emails per day.


That's a good thing.

>I can set up a cron process to
>have the emails sent one by one but I've no idea how to do that. I'm
>hosted on godaddy if that helps any.
>
>So I really need to get my newsletter out to my client, my only solution
>right now is to send them from my mail client and that really sucks.
>
>Any suggestions, documentation and stuff.. well that'd be really
>appreciated.


You could either use the smtp server you use in your mail client, or
send direct to max.
--
To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
WhzzKdd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-14-2007
"MaPi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4671cc35$0$4336$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> So I really need to get my newsletter out to my client, my only solution
> right now is to send them from my mail client and that really sucks.
>

What sucks about it? BCC them all.


 
Reply With Quote
 
MaPi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-14-2007
Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 14 Jun 2007 23:16:05 GMT, MaPi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I just set up 'simple' mailing list server, I'm not sure if anyone is
>>familiar with that.

>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...software&btnG=
> Google+Search
>
> No.
>
>
>>Anyways, I have over 500 clients and most mail servers
>>will not allow me to send that many emails at once. I also have no
>>idea what good server software are available.

>
> 500 'clients' or potential spam victims?


Clients.. for the Small Fry Herald, they can subscribe and unsubscribe as
well. But it covers local news that isn't covered by other local media.
You can find it at http://www.edmundstonlocals.com/sfh1.6.html

So why would someone want to subscribe to Spam?


>>The mailing list i'm using right now runs on a MySQL server and it's
>>all php. It uses the email account that I got with the hosting
>>package which only allows me to send 250 emails per day.

>
> That's a good thing.


I think flood timers would be a better idea, I mean, I don't even pay for
Gmail and it has a much higher limit. If I'm going to pay this much for
webhosting and emails, I'd expect to be able to send more than 250 emails
per day.

>>I can set up a cron process to
>>have the emails sent one by one but I've no idea how to do that. I'm
>>hosted on godaddy if that helps any.
>>
>>So I really need to get my newsletter out to my client, my only
>>solution right now is to send them from my mail client and that really
>>sucks.
>>
>>Any suggestions, documentation and stuff.. well that'd be really
>>appreciated.

>
> You could either use the smtp server you use in your mail client, or
> send direct to max.


I use the gmail server and it's quite slow and I'm not sure what you mean
by sending direct to max

With a listserver you can have people subscribe and unsubscribe, without
one, I have to do the requests by hand and it's a lot of work.

 
Reply With Quote
 
MaPi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-14-2007
"WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in news:X7kci.60$tF2.26
@newsfe12.lga:

> "MaPi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4671cc35$0$4336$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> So I really need to get my newsletter out to my client, my only solution
>> right now is to send them from my mail client and that really sucks.
>>

> What sucks about it? BCC them all.
>
>
>


I could carbon copy it but the server takes forever to send them all and
I'm left without the option of having a field on the webpage that allows
them to subscribe and unsubscribe.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Easter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-14-2007
MaPi wrote:
> I just set up 'simple' mailing list server,


I'm concerned about your mailing list management strategy.

Here's one set of best practices guidelines about that
http://www.mail-abuse.com/an_listmgntgdlines.html Guidelines for proper
mailing list management

Some elements in that say... No one should ever have to unsubscribe from
a list they did not intentionally subscribe to. -- mailing lists are
also vulnerable to misuse through a variety of means. -- when a list
owner or manager receives a subscription request, they send a
confirmation message which requires some affirmative action on the part
of the owner of the email address before that email address is added to
the mailing list.

> Anyways, I have over 500 clients


.... and how in the world did you come to have 500 so-called 'clients'
who specifically and revokably requested by means of a unique token
which you confirmed that you email them some kind of regular emailing?
I seriously doubt it.

> So I really need to get my newsletter out to my client,


You are way more interested in getting out your emails than you are in
demonstrating that you know the first thing about mailing list
management which is not spam.

> Any suggestions, documentation and stuff.. well that'd be really
> appreciated.


I suggest that you start out by 'proving' that you have a clean list of
people who requested to receive the specific mailing which you are
interested in sending and not a mailing list of addresses which might be
interested in your mailing and which might not be interested in your
mailing.

--
Mike Easter

 
Reply With Quote
 
Evan Platt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-15-2007
On 14 Jun 2007 23:45:06 GMT, MaPi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I use the gmail server and it's quite slow and I'm not sure what you mean
>by sending direct to max
>
>With a listserver you can have people subscribe and unsubscribe, without
>one, I have to do the requests by hand and it's a lot of work.


Damn spell checker.. Direct to MX.

Basically, you'd need to install a SMTP server on that machine, and
that machine would connect directly to the other mail servers to send
your mail.

Of course, there's a lot of if's.. If that machine is on a dynamic IP,
other mail servers may reject mail from it, if that IP is blacklisted,
etc..
--
To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Easter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-15-2007
Mike Easter wrote:
> MaPi wrote:
>> I just set up 'simple' mailing list server,

>
> I'm concerned about your mailing list management strategy.
>
> Here's one set of best practices guidelines about that


Hopefully your system works as adverised:

http://www.edmundstonlocals.com - Subscribe to the Small Fry Herald! -
All subscribe/unsubscribe requests must be confirmed via email.


--
Mike Easter

 
Reply With Quote
 
MaPi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-15-2007
"Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:4671d44e$0$97232$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net:

> MaPi wrote:
>> I just set up 'simple' mailing list server,

>
> I'm concerned about your mailing list management strategy.
>
> Here's one set of best practices guidelines about that
> http://www.mail-abuse.com/an_listmgntgdlines.html Guidelines for
> proper mailing list management
>
> Some elements in that say... No one should ever have to unsubscribe
> from a list they did not intentionally subscribe to. -- mailing lists
> are also vulnerable to misuse through a variety of means. -- when a
> list owner or manager receives a subscription request, they send a
> confirmation message which requires some affirmative action on the
> part of the owner of the email address before that email address is
> added to the mailing list.
>
>> Anyways, I have over 500 clients

>
> ... and how in the world did you come to have 500 so-called 'clients'
> who specifically and revokably requested by means of a unique token
> which you confirmed that you email them some kind of regular emailing?
> I seriously doubt it.
>
>> So I really need to get my newsletter out to my client,

>
> You are way more interested in getting out your emails than you are in
> demonstrating that you know the first thing about mailing list
> management which is not spam.
>
>> Any suggestions, documentation and stuff.. well that'd be really
>> appreciated.

>
> I suggest that you start out by 'proving' that you have a clean list
> of people who requested to receive the specific mailing which you are
> interested in sending and not a mailing list of addresses which might
> be interested in your mailing and which might not be interested in
> your mailing.
>


some people do have a social life outside the internet. I promote
shows, I collect people's email to send them to the list and I do the
same with my band. Most of the people on the list are locals and people
in the music industry.

So, your paranoia is justified but there's no need to get aggressive.
www.edmundstonlocals.com for the main page and the newsletter is found
at www.edmundstonlocals.com/sfh1.6.htm

Does it look like spam to you, or information that both bands and fans
of music would be interested in reading? Does it seem like I'm going to
make any type of money off of this?

Seriously, all you've done is tell me that you're concerned for the
internet community, something you could have summed up in a few words.

 
Reply With Quote
 
MaPi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-15-2007
Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 14 Jun 2007 23:45:06 GMT, MaPi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I use the gmail server and it's quite slow and I'm not sure what you
>>mean by sending direct to max
>>
>>With a listserver you can have people subscribe and unsubscribe,
>>without one, I have to do the requests by hand and it's a lot of work.

>
> Damn spell checker.. Direct to MX.
>
> Basically, you'd need to install a SMTP server on that machine, and
> that machine would connect directly to the other mail servers to send
> your mail.
>
> Of course, there's a lot of if's.. If that machine is on a dynamic IP,
> other mail servers may reject mail from it, if that IP is blacklisted,
> etc..


So basically; run a mail server on my machine use a bounce would be
ideal?

Now that sounds quite simple enough, I'm sure setting that setting it up
won't be so easy, though. I'm sure I could script something but I'm sure
there's software out there that does all that **** already. I just can't
find anything decent.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Memory issues when storing as List of Strings vs List of List OW Ghim Siong Python 2 11-30-2010 12:22 PM
Appending a list's elements to another list using a list comprehension Debajit Adhikary Python 17 10-18-2007 06:45 PM
Why does list.__getitem__ return a list instance for subclasses ofthe list type? dackz Python 0 02-06-2007 04:44 PM
Server to server = Server client to server? - Java 2 07-29-2005 10:46 PM
Difference Between List x; and List x(); , if 'List' is a Class? roopa C++ 6 08-27-2004 06:18 PM



Advertisments