Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > McAFee Virusscan Enterprise and Emails

McAFee Virusscan Enterprise and Emails

Lorenzo

Just has Virusscan Enterprise installed (version 8.5i). This was to replace
my old Norton which was way too slow.

My worry is that Virusscan does not scan emails arriving via Outlook
Express. I cannot find out if this is a problem or not.

The "On Access" scan does scan files when "writing to disk" or "reading from
disk" so does that mean any email virus would be detected before it was
activated?

There is an "On Delivery Email Scan" option but that only works with
Outlook. This is what makes me wonder if this type of scan is necessary for
complete protection.

Many thanks for any advice.

David H. Lipman

From: "Lorenzo" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| Just has Virusscan Enterprise installed (version 8.5i). This was to replace
| my old Norton which was way too slow.
|
| My worry is that Virusscan does not scan emails arriving via Outlook
| Express. I cannot find out if this is a problem or not.
|
| The "On Access" scan does scan files when "writing to disk" or "reading from
| disk" so does that mean any email virus would be detected before it was
| activated?
|
| There is an "On Delivery Email Scan" option but that only works with
| Outlook. This is what makes me wonder if this type of scan is necessary for
| complete protection.
|
| Many thanks for any advice.

That is NOT a problem. Any malware that is attached to emails will be scanned via the "On
Access" disk scanner as soon as the file is extracted from the email.

Otherwise, switch to MS Outlook tfrom the MS Office suite so you can use the MAPI scanning
capabilities of v8.5i.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Lorenzo

..

> That is NOT a problem. Any malware that is attached to emails will be
> scanned via the "On
> Access" disk scanner as soon as the file is extracted from the email.
>
> Otherwise, switch to MS Outlook tfrom the MS Office suite so you can use
> the MAPI scanning
> capabilities of v8.5i.

Thanks, that is very helpful.

L.