Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Bayer Filter Obsolescence?

Bayer Filter Obsolescence?

David J Taylor

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
> "David J Taylor"

[]
>> It wasn't. It was invented, not discovered. <G>
>>

> Yeah, whatever.I will keep that in mind, though.
> Thanks for the correction.
>> Cheers,
>> David

You're welcome. I keep making the same mistake when I speak German!

David

jpc

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:05:19 -0500, "Eric Miller"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/L/LOW_LIGHT_PHOTOS?SITE=LAALE&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE= DEFAULT>
>
>Eric Miller
>www.dyesscreek.com

Marketing hype from the looks of it.

Must be a bayer sensor with one of the green filters missing.

So what will happen. If for the sake of easy math we say the
polychromatic sensors fill up with photoelectrons in a quarter the
time it takes the green sensors they've upped the effective ISO by two
stops. But now the red, blue and green sensors have only a quarter of
their normal photoelectons. So three of the four sensor types have
twice the noise they normally would have.

So the trade off is higher effective ISO but a more noisy image, which
is the same as running up the gain in the camera.

But I'm sure it will confuse the masses

jpc

Kevin McMurtrie

In article <6Pcci.6386$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Eric Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> <http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...ALE&SECTION=HO
> ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT>
>
> Eric Miller
> www.dyesscreek.com

I can't help thinking of the Hyperbolic Chamber right now.

Didn't some sensors in the early 90s using uncolored pixels to improve
low light sensitivity? Of course, nature was doing this long before
Kodak.

What's missing here is a demonstration of what the photo looks like in
good light. The cool technology would be not damaging the color
resolution too much or getting highlight blowouts when some pixels are
unfiltered.