Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > windows license details - how to change :-(

Reply
Thread Tools

windows license details - how to change :-(

 
 
dave thomas
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-14-2007
a friends ex installed her windows xp for her, and used a rude name as the
license holder. now she needs to do a powerpoint presentation to her
bosses, and when powerpoint loads, it says licensed to *******

she's asked me to sort it for her. and i cant

ive found a little prog on the net that i used, but that just changes
registration details, and renames some folders etc.

i uninstalled office, and installed it again, and it said registered to
vicky, as i wanted. but still when you open the prog, it says licensed to
*******

so theres obviously a difference between registered to and licensed to.
anyone kow how i can change it? i suspect its in the registry somewhere,
but its on her laptop, and when i type regedit into 'run', it says windows
cannot find this file.

im struggling here. anyone know how to solve it?

thanks a lot

dave



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-14-2007
dave thomas wrote:
> a friends ex installed her windows xp for her, and used a rude name as the
> license holder. now she needs to do a powerpoint presentation to her
> bosses, and when powerpoint loads, it says licensed to *******
>
> she's asked me to sort it for her. and i cant
>
> ive found a little prog on the net that i used, but that just changes
> registration details, and renames some folders etc.
>
> i uninstalled office, and installed it again, and it said registered to
> vicky, as i wanted. but still when you open the prog, it says licensed to
> *******
>
> so theres obviously a difference between registered to and licensed to.
> anyone kow how i can change it? i suspect its in the registry somewhere,
> but its on her laptop, and when i type regedit into 'run', it says windows
> cannot find this file.
>
> im struggling here. anyone know how to solve it?


When you type in regedit click on the Browse button to have it look in
the Windows directory. In some cases you need to type in regedit.exe to
get it to run. It should be there if the asshole didn't delete the
program. When it opens look for the offensive name by doing a search
(Ctrl + F). Hit F2 to look for more instances, replace each one.

If regedit isn't there, you can replace regedit from the Windows disk or
another machine.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John Holmes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-14-2007
dave thomas "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> a friends ex installed her windows xp for her, and used a rude name as
> the license holder. now she needs to do a powerpoint presentation to
> her bosses, and when powerpoint loads, it says licensed to *******
>
> she's asked me to sort it for her. and i cant
>
> ive found a little prog on the net that i used, but that just changes
> registration details, and renames some folders etc.
>
> i uninstalled office, and installed it again, and it said registered
> to vicky, as i wanted. but still when you open the prog, it says
> licensed to *******
>
> so theres obviously a difference between registered to and licensed
> to. anyone kow how i can change it? i suspect its in the registry
> somewhere, but its on her laptop, and when i type regedit into 'run',
> it says windows cannot find this file.
>
> im struggling here. anyone know how to solve it?
>
> thanks a lot
>
> dave
>
>
>


Follow Roger's (can't be arsed to include the hyphens) advise. If that
fails, try start>run>regedt32.exe which is pretty much the same. Cross your
fingers the ass****er didn't delete that, too. But then again, it's always
possible to recover the files from the installation CD or another computer,
like Roger (can't be arsed to include the hyphens) suggested.
HTH

--
Your mother was a terrifying fast-food restaurant worker who used to do
unmentionable things to chickens in a home for the terminally short of
cash.












 
Reply With Quote
 
Stephan.R.Fowler@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-14-2007
you'll need to navigate to:
HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Cu rrent Version

Once you have reached the Current Version key take a look in the Right
Hand Pane and look for 'Registered Owner'
Right click the Registered Owner key to edit it
To edit the key Right click the entry and select Modify

You may simply have lost regedit.com, so typing regedit.exe as
previously suggested should sort that out.

 
Reply With Quote
 
dave thomas
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-14-2007
thanks chaps

unfortunately i cant find it still. not in the windows folder on laptop,
and i cant find it on xp cd either

put in the search and point it at cd, but it seems to want me to keep going
through folders until i find it. looked in system, setup and windows
folders but nothing. also done a search for it on the whole cd but nothing.

reckon i might have to transfer the file from my pc to a cd mebbes?

thanks


"John Holmes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). nl...
> dave thomas "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> a friends ex installed her windows xp for her, and used a rude name as
>> the license holder. now she needs to do a powerpoint presentation to
>> her bosses, and when powerpoint loads, it says licensed to *******
>>
>> she's asked me to sort it for her. and i cant
>>
>> ive found a little prog on the net that i used, but that just changes
>> registration details, and renames some folders etc.
>>
>> i uninstalled office, and installed it again, and it said registered
>> to vicky, as i wanted. but still when you open the prog, it says
>> licensed to *******
>>
>> so theres obviously a difference between registered to and licensed
>> to. anyone kow how i can change it? i suspect its in the registry
>> somewhere, but its on her laptop, and when i type regedit into 'run',
>> it says windows cannot find this file.
>>
>> im struggling here. anyone know how to solve it?
>>
>> thanks a lot
>>
>> dave
>>
>>
>>

>
> Follow Roger's (can't be arsed to include the hyphens) advise. If that
> fails, try start>run>regedt32.exe which is pretty much the same. Cross
> your
> fingers the ass****er didn't delete that, too. But then again, it's always
> possible to recover the files from the installation CD or another
> computer,
> like Roger (can't be arsed to include the hyphens) suggested.
> HTH
>
> --
> Your mother was a terrifying fast-food restaurant worker who used to do
> unmentionable things to chickens in a home for the terminally short of
> cash.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
dave thomas
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-14-2007
no, tried everything, regedit, regedit.exe, regedit32, and regedit32.exe.

nothing. not even on the cd!!!!

ill transfer it onto my cd now, then stick it in laptop and try.

cheers
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> you'll need to navigate to:
> HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Cu rrent Version
>
> Once you have reached the Current Version key take a look in the Right
> Hand Pane and look for 'Registered Owner'
> Right click the Registered Owner key to edit it
> To edit the key Right click the entry and select Modify
>
> You may simply have lost regedit.com, so typing regedit.exe as
> previously suggested should sort that out.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Stephan.R.Fowler@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-14-2007
http://www.kwakkelflap.com/regxplor.html
Download and install that program.

Once it's installed, run "Registry" from your desktop, then copy and
paste "Registry\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Wi ndows NT
\CurrentVersion" into the address bar (no quotes).

Scroll down to the bottom and locate "RegisteredOwner" then right
click and edit.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Stephan.R.Fowler@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-14-2007
http://www.kwakkelflap.com/regxplor.html
Download and install that program.

Once it's installed, run "Registry" from your desktop, then copy and
paste "Registry\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Wi ndows NT
\CurrentVersion" into the address bar (no quotes).

Scroll down to the bottom and locate "RegisteredOwner" then right
click and edit.

 
Reply With Quote
 
John Holmes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-14-2007
dave thomas "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>
>
> "John Holmes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). nl...
>> dave thomas "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>>
>>> a friends ex installed her windows xp for her, and used a rude name
>>> as the license holder. now she needs to do a powerpoint
>>> presentation to her bosses, and when powerpoint loads, it says
>>> licensed to *******
>>>
>>> she's asked me to sort it for her. and i cant
>>>
>>> ive found a little prog on the net that i used, but that just
>>> changes registration details, and renames some folders etc.
>>>
>>> i uninstalled office, and installed it again, and it said registered
>>> to vicky, as i wanted. but still when you open the prog, it says
>>> licensed to *******
>>>
>>> so theres obviously a difference between registered to and licensed
>>> to. anyone kow how i can change it? i suspect its in the registry
>>> somewhere, but its on her laptop, and when i type regedit into
>>> 'run', it says windows cannot find this file.
>>>
>>> im struggling here. anyone know how to solve it?
>>>
>>> thanks a lot
>>>
>>> dave
>>>
>>>
>>>

>>
>> Follow Roger's (can't be arsed to include the hyphens) advise. If
>> that fails, try start>run>regedt32.exe which is pretty much the same.
>> Cross your
>> fingers the ass****er didn't delete that, too. But then again, it's
>> always possible to recover the files from the installation CD or
>> another computer,
>> like Roger (can't be arsed to include the hyphens) suggested.
>> HTH
>>
>> --
>> Your mother was a terrifying fast-food restaurant worker who used to
>> do unmentionable things to chickens in a home for the terminally
>> short of cash.
>>

> thanks chaps
>
> unfortunately i cant find it still. not in the windows folder on
> laptop, and i cant find it on xp cd either
>
> put in the search and point it at cd, but it seems to want me to keep
> going through folders until i find it. looked in system, setup and
> windows folders but nothing. also done a search for it on the whole
> cd but nothing.
>
> reckon i might have to transfer the file from my pc to a cd mebbes?
>
> thanks


It's right there on the XP installation CD, in the folder I386 unless you
have some flaky or pirated XP installation CD. Copy the file
"regedit.exe" to the HD in %windir% or %windir%\system32.

--
Your mother was a fornicating computer programmer who copulated with
anyone and anything in an industrial mining complex.



















































 
Reply With Quote
 
John Holmes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-14-2007
"contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> http://www.kwakkelflap.com/regxplor.html
> Download and install that program.
>
> Once it's installed, run "Registry" from your desktop, then copy and
> paste "Registry\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Wi ndows NT
> \CurrentVersion" into the address bar (no quotes).
>
> Scroll down to the bottom and locate "RegisteredOwner" then right
> click and edit.
>


IMHO, I wouldn't advise newbies to use a program like that.

--
Your mother was a big-nosed block of concrete who spent most of her life
in shopping centres.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How include a large array? Edward A. Falk C Programming 1 04-04-2013 08:07 PM
Sun Releases Details of new Distro License for Java jvsoft.org@gmail.com Java 0 05-18-2006 05:31 AM
Request for a downgrade from x64 OEM license to 32-bit OEM license =?Utf-8?B?SmVyZW15IFdvbmcg6buD5rOT6YeP?= Windows 64bit 58 09-22-2005 11:33 PM
What license to choose for Python programs? (PSF License vs. GPL/LGPL) Volker Grabsch Python 2 07-25-2005 12:06 PM
Pix 501 VPN License Issue - Not freeing License Jens Haase Cisco 1 01-29-2004 08:29 PM



Advertisments