Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Make images only available to intranet

Make images only available to intranet

royend@gmail.com

Is it possible to hide images from the internet, and only have a image
available for users that are logged into the intranet? I am hoping to
avoid a database-solution as the number of images will be to many for
my database-size.

Looking forward to your reply.

Mike

You could make a user control and only show that control based on IP
addresses.
So if someone reaches your web site and is within your IP range then show
the control, if they are not then hide the control.

Mike

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Is it possible to hide images from the internet, and only have a image
> available for users that are logged into the intranet? I am hoping to
> avoid a database-solution as the number of images will be to many for
> my database-size.
>
> Looking forward to your reply.

royend@gmail.com

I am not sure if I understand your solution.
Will this control ensure that an image published at "http://
www.mydomain.com/image.jpg" only be available to users with correct
IP?

If so I believe it might be the solution as I can save the IP
(temporarily) of the users logged on to the intranet, and let them
download the images. Therefore I would appreciate some more info about
"user control".

royend.

Mike skrev:
> You could make a user control and only show that control based on IP
> addresses.
> So if someone reaches your web site and is within your IP range then show
> the control, if they are not then hide the control.
>
> Mike
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > Is it possible to hide images from the internet, and only have a image
> > available for users that are logged into the intranet? I am hoping to
> > avoid a database-solution as the number of images will be to many for
> > my database-size.
> >
> > Looking forward to your reply.

Mike

if you have a user control (not the actual image) and put all of your images
in that control you *should* be able to hide it.
so for example if you have a range of IP address 190.0.0.1 to 190.0.0.999
and if anyone accesses your site within that range show the control. If they
are not within that range hide the control. If you want to do it at an image
level then that could more work on your end.

why do you want to hide the images from an internet user though? What if
someone from the office hits the site and wants to see the images? Do you
have the users logging in when they are on the office network or no?

I had to do something similiar to this but with documents.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I am not sure if I understand your solution.
> Will this control ensure that an image published at "http://
> www.mydomain.com/image.jpg" only be available to users with correct
> IP?
>
> If so I believe it might be the solution as I can save the IP
> (temporarily) of the users logged on to the intranet, and let them
> download the images. Therefore I would appreciate some more info about
> "user control".
>
> royend.
>
> Mike skrev:
>> You could make a user control and only show that control based on IP
>> addresses.
>> So if someone reaches your web site and is within your IP range then show
>> the control, if they are not then hide the control.
>>
>> Mike
>>

>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> > Is it possible to hide images from the internet, and only have a image
>> > available for users that are logged into the intranet? I am hoping to
>> > avoid a database-solution as the number of images will be to many for
>> > my database-size.
>> >
>> > Looking forward to your reply.

royend@gmail.com

The pictures are private and not meant for public viewing - therefore
I must find a good way to hide them from the public internet. I guess
I will have the same problem with documents in just a while, but for
now my biggest concern is the pictures.

One thing that worries me concerning your solution:
Must the IP-range be predefined?
I do not know what IP the different users have, but I know they will
vary more than the range you suggest. I was hoping I could add
temporarily IP adresses to check if the person is logged at the moment
of the image download.

Thanks for your help so far.
royend.

On 14 Jun, 16:26, "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> if you have a user control (not the actual image) and put all of your images
> in that control you *should* be able to hide it.
> so for example if you have a range of IP address 190.0.0.1 to 190.0.0.999
> and if anyone accesses your site within that range show the control. If they
> are not within that range hide the control. If you want to do it at an image
> level then that could more work on your end.
>
> why do you want to hide the images from an internet user though? What if
> someone from the office hits the site and wants to see the images? Do you
> have the users logging in when they are on the office network or no?
>
> I had to do something similiar to this but with documents.
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>

> >I am not sure if I understand your solution.
> > Will this control ensure that an image published at "http://
> >www.mydomain.com/image.jpg" only be available to users with correct
> > IP?

> > If so I believe it might be the solution as I can save the IP
> > (temporarily) of the users logged on to the intranet, and let them
> > download the images. Therefore I would appreciate some more info about
> > "user control".

> > royend.

> > Mike skrev:
> >> You could make a user control and only show that control based on IP
> >> addresses.
> >> So if someone reaches your web site and is within your IP range then show
> >> the control, if they are not then hide the control.

> >> Mike

> >> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >>news:(E-Mail Removed) groups.com...

> - Vis sitert tekst -

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> The pictures are private and not meant for public viewing - therefore
!> I must find a good way to hide them from the public internet.
!> I do not know what IP the different users have, but I know they will
!> vary more than the range you suggest.

This was answered by Mark a few days ago.

Assuming your network uses the 192.xxx.xxx.xxx range of IP addresses :

{
if
(!Request.ServerVariables["REMOTE_ADDR"].ToString().StartsWith("192"))
{
Response.Redirect ("/Login/entry_denied.aspx", false);
}
}

If your network uses the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx range, substitute a "10" for the "192".
If the network uses both, use an OR statement to include both starting addresses.

That will only allow IP addresses within your local network to access your files/images.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/