Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > sites and usage

sites and usage

=?Utf-8?B?Y29sbGlucw==?=

1) if one wants to create and maintain a single site & have a domain tree of
multiple child domains. do they add a domain controller from each domain to
the site. if so do they need to configure each as a bridgrhead server.

2) if one wants to create a forest root domain with multiple child domains.
if the company has offices in different countries and wants the child domains
to represent these branches. where do they create the child donains. is it on
the domain controllers off-site or on-site. should they always also have vpn
connection establish when they decide to create the child domain.

3)if my network id is 192.168.0 and my subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, how
should one come up with the subnet number.could the subnet be any number for
the site.

Nerd32768

"collins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> 1) if one wants to create and maintain a single site & have a domain tree

of
> multiple child domains. do they add a domain controller from each domain

> the site. if so do they need to configure each as a bridgrhead server.
>
> 2) if one wants to create a forest root domain with multiple child

domains.
> if the company has offices in different countries and wants the child

domains
> to represent these branches. where do they create the child donains. is it

on
> the domain controllers off-site or on-site. should they always also have

vpn
> connection establish when they decide to create the child domain.
>
> 3)if my network id is 192.168.0 and my subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, how
> should one come up with the subnet number.could the subnet be any number

for
> the site.

www.learntosubnet.com

Kurt

"collins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
1) if one wants to create and maintain a single site & have a domain tree
of
multiple child domains. do they add a domain controller from each domain to
the site. if so do they need to configure each as a bridgrhead server.

--Yes. Only one site, all DCs for child domains in the site.

2) if one wants to create a forest root domain with multiple child domains.
if the company has offices in different countries and wants the child
domains
to represent these branches. where do they create the child donains. is it
on
the domain controllers off-site or on-site. should they always also have
vpn
connection establish when they decide to create the child domain.

--The DCs shold be at the remote locations. Only minimal replication should
be required between the parent and child domains. Delegate the DNS zones to
the child domains. You'll need a connection to create toeh domains. Whether
VPN, Private (T1, E1, etc) or whatever is up to you.

3)if my network id is 192.168.0 and my subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, how
should one come up with the subnet number.could the subnet be any number
for
the site.

--If your network is 192.168.0 and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, there
are no subnets, your mask encompasses the whole Class C network. You can use
CIDR addressing to increase the size (i.e. 192.168.0 mask 255.255.254.0
creates a network from 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.1.254 with 512 addresses
instead od 256). Since you are using private addressing, you can just choose
networks at random. Leave as much room between them for growth as you want.
Note that VPNs can be routed or bridged, so you don't necessarily need
subnets to connect sites. Obviously if you have a domain tree structure
between sites subnetting is desirable.