Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Computer Name to IPAdress probs on Home Network

Computer Name to IPAdress probs on Home Network

MickyMick

I am attempting to setup a wireless network using 2 Win XP Home (SP2)
laptops and a Belkin wireless router.

PC1 is known as MGRLap1 and has an IP address of 192.168.2.2, it also
has a printer attached to it.
PC2 is known as PCBLap1 and has an IP address of 192.168.2.4
The router has an IP address of 192.168.2.1

The PC's belong to workgroup MRHOME.

My problem is that i can view the shared folders on both laptops and
use PC1's printer without any problems if i enter the IP address in
windows explorers address bar but when trying to use the PC's name
i.e. MGRLap1 i cannot do so unless i add it the 'hosts' file under c:
\windows\system32\etc\hosts. I have set up the router to have its
'DHCP Server' function enabled. I am under the assumption that this
means that i could have a different ipaddress for each laptop each
time it connects and thus using the hosts file is not advised as it
should only be used for static IP addresses. if this assumption is
correct how do i access each laptop using it's computer name, is this
achievable using a wireless DHCP home network?

In addition, using the netview command with the computer name returns:

C:\Documents and Settings\Michael(Jnr)>net view \\PCBLap1
System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.

although with the ipaddress it returns:

C:\Documents and Settings\Michael(Jnr)>net view \\192.168.2.4
Shared resources at \\192.168.2.4

Pauls New Toy

Share name Type Used as Comment

Documents Disk
MR Shared on PCBLap1 Disk
Printer Print EPSON Stylus Photo R200 Series
Printer2 Print Epson Stylus COLOR 640 ESC/P 2
The command completed successfully.

I look forward to any help that can be given,
cheers,
Mick

Chuck

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 09:49:12 -0700, MickyMick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am attempting to setup a wireless network using 2 Win XP Home (SP2)
>laptops and a Belkin wireless router.
>
>PC1 is known as MGRLap1 and has an IP address of 192.168.2.2, it also
>has a printer attached to it.
>PC2 is known as PCBLap1 and has an IP address of 192.168.2.4
>The router has an IP address of 192.168.2.1
>
>The PC's belong to workgroup MRHOME.
>

>My problem is that i can view the shared folders on both laptops and
>use PC1's printer without any problems if i enter the IP address in
>windows explorers address bar but when trying to use the PC's name
>i.e. MGRLap1 i cannot do so unless i add it the 'hosts' file under c:
>\windows\system32\etc\hosts. I have set up the router to have its
>'DHCP Server' function enabled. I am under the assumption that this
>means that i could have a different ipaddress for each laptop each
>time it connects and thus using the hosts file is not advised as it
>should only be used for static IP addresses. if this assumption is
>correct how do i access each laptop using it's computer name, is this
>achievable using a wireless DHCP home network?
>
>In addition, using the netview command with the computer name returns:
>
>C:\Documents and Settings\Michael(Jnr)>net view \\PCBLap1
>System error 53 has occurred.
>
>The network path was not found.
>
>although with the ipaddress it returns:
>
>C:\Documents and Settings\Michael(Jnr)>net view \\192.168.2.4
>Shared resources at \\192.168.2.4
>
>Pauls New Toy
>
>Share name Type Used as Comment

>Documents Disk
>MR Shared on PCBLap1 Disk
>Printer Print EPSON Stylus Photo R200 Series
>Printer2 Print Epson Stylus COLOR 640 ESC/P 2
>The command completed successfully.
>
>I look forward to any help that can be given,
>cheers,
>Mick

Mick,

Most DHCP servers will assign a given IP address to a given MAC address,
persistently. Some you can even set to manually assign a given IP address to a
specific MAC address. But dynamic or fixed, you have to have name resolution
working for you to reference a computer by name.

Look at IP Configurations of the computers.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/address-resolution-on-lan.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...on-on-lan.html

And look at NetBT settings, and personal firewalls.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

If you're going to manually address each computer using a local file on each,
using LMHosts is a better choice than Hosts.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/07/local-name-and-address-resolution-on.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...lution-on.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
A good way to avoid some of thses trepadtion is to map the computers Drive.
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing#map
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...