Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Catalyst 3560 DHCP on 1 VLAN...

Catalyst 3560 DHCP on 1 VLAN...

Rich

Hi,

Can I configure one of the VLANs on my 3560 to be a DHCP server? For
example is it possible to have a VLAN say 192.168.11.x, and when a client
connects to that VLAN they are given an IP address in the range
192.168.11.20 to 192.168.11.254? Have configured the switch via network
assistant, can't seem to find any reference to DHCP in it.

I'm using inter VLAN routing if that affects anything.

Thanks in advance.

--
Rich

http://www.badangling.com -= Sea fishing badly explained =-

Chad Mahoney

Rich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can I configure one of the VLANs on my 3560 to be a DHCP server? For
> example is it possible to have a VLAN say 192.168.11.x, and when a
> client connects to that VLAN they are given an IP address in the range
> 192.168.11.20 to 192.168.11.254? Have configured the switch via network
> assistant, can't seem to find any reference to DHCP in it.
>
> I'm using inter VLAN routing if that affects anything.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Do you already have a DHCP server in your network? If so you can use the
ip helper command to direct clients to that DHCP server even though it
is on a different VLAN. You could just create another scope on the
existing DHCP server for the VLAN 192.168.11.X.

Just a thought>?

Rich

"Chad Mahoney" <(E-Mail Removed)0ney.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rich wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can I configure one of the VLANs on my 3560 to be a DHCP server? For
>> example is it possible to have a VLAN say 192.168.11.x, and when a client
>> connects to that VLAN they are given an IP address in the range
>> 192.168.11.20 to 192.168.11.254? Have configured the switch via network
>> assistant, can't seem to find any reference to DHCP in it.
>>
>> I'm using inter VLAN routing if that affects anything.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

> Do you already have a DHCP server in your network? If so you can use the
> ip helper command to direct clients to that DHCP server even though it is
> on a different VLAN. You could just create another scope on the existing
> DHCP server for the VLAN 192.168.11.X.
>

> Just a thought>?

I've got a couple of Windows Server 2003 DHCP servers on different VLANs,
does the helper command act as a DHCP relay?

--
Rich

http://www.badangling.com -= Sea fishing badly explained =-

Its me Earnest T.

yes it will. Just place the ip helper-address my.dhcp.server.ip

news:f4n3ev$1g2r$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Chad Mahoney" <(E-Mail Removed)0ney.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Rich wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Can I configure one of the VLANs on my 3560 to be a DHCP server? For
>>> example is it possible to have a VLAN say 192.168.11.x, and when a
>>> client connects to that VLAN they are given an IP address in the range
>>> 192.168.11.20 to 192.168.11.254? Have configured the switch via network
>>> assistant, can't seem to find any reference to DHCP in it.
>>>
>>> I'm using inter VLAN routing if that affects anything.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>

>> Do you already have a DHCP server in your network? If so you can use the
>> ip helper command to direct clients to that DHCP server even though it is
>> on a different VLAN. You could just create another scope on the existing
>> DHCP server for the VLAN 192.168.11.X.
>>

>> Just a thought>?

> I've got a couple of Windows Server 2003 DHCP servers on different VLANs,
> does the helper command act as a DHCP relay?
>
> --
> Rich
>
> http://www.badangling.com -= Sea fishing badly explained =-

Scott Perry

This is how you configure DHCP on a Cisco IOS device:

Start by going to the Cisco website,
click on support
click on documentation
click on Cisco IOS software
click on any IOS family that you desire
click on Configuration Guides
click on Cisco IOS IP Configuration Guide
click on "New Feature: DHCP Server - On-Demand Address Pool Manager
(12.2(T document)" under "Chapter: Configuring DHCP"

Scott Perry
Indianapolis, Indiana

news:f4mukk$16ve$(E-Mail Removed)...