Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > IRQ conflict results in beeps and noises while playing mp3s

IRQ conflict results in beeps and noises while playing mp3s

hannes

Hello,

I love listening to music, but whenever i use my soundcard and my
harddisk together the music starts to beep, crack or stops for very
short periods.. It hasn't anything to do with the quality of the music
(movies and wav files result in the same noises).

I tried to use 100% of CPU with some nasty calculations and i tried to
use my memory at a maximum.. but it seems this hasnt anything to do
with it either..

So I figured out it may have to do something with my IRQ settings.

O IRQ 9 9 the following hardware is listed:

pci - creative audio pci (soundcard)
pci - realtek rtl8139 (lan)
pci - via rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (???)
pci - via rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (???)
isa - microsoft ACPI compliant system (???)

what can i do is isolate my soundcard; remove it to another irq or
something else..??

Hope you guys can help me..

Hannes

meerkat

"hannes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hello,
>
> I love listening to music, but whenever i use my soundcard and my
> harddisk together the music starts to beep, crack or stops for very
> short periods.. It hasn't anything to do with the quality of the music
> (movies and wav files result in the same noises).
>
> I tried to use 100% of CPU with some nasty calculations and i tried to
> use my memory at a maximum.. but it seems this hasnt anything to do
> with it either..
>
> So I figured out it may have to do something with my IRQ settings.
>
> O IRQ 9 9 the following hardware is listed:
>
> pci - creative audio pci (soundcard)
> pci - realtek rtl8139 (lan)
> pci - via rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (???)
> pci - via rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (???)
> isa - microsoft ACPI compliant system (???)
>
> what can i do is isolate my soundcard; remove it to another irq or
> something else..??

Creative likes IRQ 5.
What have you got using 5 ?.

hannes

On 12 jun, 20:48, "meerkat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "hannes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>

> > Hello,

> > I love listening to music, but whenever i use my soundcard and my
> > harddisk together the music starts to beep, crack or stops for very
> > short periods.. It hasn't anything to do with the quality of the music
> > (movies and wav files result in the same noises).

> > I tried to use 100% of CPU with some nasty calculations and i tried to
> > use my memory at a maximum.. but it seems this hasnt anything to do
> > with it either..

> > So I figured out it may have to do something with my IRQ settings.

> > O IRQ 9 9 the following hardware is listed:

> > pci - creative audio pci (soundcard)
> > pci - realtek rtl8139 (lan)
> > pci - via rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (???)
> > pci - via rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (???)
> > isa - microsoft ACPI compliant system (???)

> > what can i do is isolate my soundcard; remove it to another irq or
> > something else..??

> Creative likes IRQ 5.
> What have you got using 5 ?.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

irq 5 is empty... how can i change this?

meerkat

"hannes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> On 12 jun, 20:48, "meerkat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "hannes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>>

>> > Hello,

>> > I love listening to music, but whenever i use my soundcard and my
>> > harddisk together the music starts to beep, crack or stops for very
>> > short periods.. It hasn't anything to do with the quality of the music
>> > (movies and wav files result in the same noises).

>> > I tried to use 100% of CPU with some nasty calculations and i tried to
>> > use my memory at a maximum.. but it seems this hasnt anything to do
>> > with it either..

>> > So I figured out it may have to do something with my IRQ settings.

>> > O IRQ 9 9 the following hardware is listed:

>> > pci - creative audio pci (soundcard)
>> > pci - realtek rtl8139 (lan)
>> > pci - via rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (???)
>> > pci - via rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (???)
>> > isa - microsoft ACPI compliant system (???)

>> > what can i do is isolate my soundcard; remove it to another irq or
>> > something else..??

>> Creative likes IRQ 5.
>> What have you got using 5 ?.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet
>> weergeven -
>>
>> - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

> irq 5 is empty... how can i change this?

Try moving the sound card to a different PCI slot, this should change it's
IRQ. What os are you using? If 9X you could try setting it manually in
device manager or in the plug and play section of your BIOS.

hannes

On 13 jun, 15:49, "meerkat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "hannes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>

> > On 12 jun, 20:48, "meerkat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> "hannes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...

> >> Creative likes IRQ 5.
> >> What have you got using 5 ?.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet
> >> weergeven -

> >> - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

> > irq 5 is empty... how can i change this?

> Try moving the sound card to a different PCI slot, this should change it's
> IRQ. What os are you using? If 9X you could try setting it manually in
> device manager or in the plug and play section of your BIOS.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

I'll try this. But I thougt Windows is organising this by itself and
so moving hardware doesn't influence these settings.

Brian Whiting

"hannes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On 13 jun, 15:49, "meerkat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > irq 5 is empty... how can i change this?

>> Try moving the sound card to a different PCI slot, this should change
>> it's
>> IRQ. What os are you using? If 9X you could try setting it manually in
>> device manager or in the plug and play section of your BIOS.- Tekst uit
>> oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -
>>
>> - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

> I'll try this. But I thougt Windows is organising this by itself and
> so moving hardware doesn't influence these settings.

There may be some switch settings that are overriding the IRQ. Check the
troubleshooting part of the manual for your soundcard. It's an antiquated
way of doing things, but depending on how old your components are, they may
have done this. I don't have Creative soundcard, but have the rest of your
setup. My Realtek is on IRQ 19 and my USB stuff uses 21. Only my ACPI
stuff is using 9.

--
Brian J. Whiting
(E-Mail Removed)

hannes

On 13 jun, 15:49, "meerkat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "hannes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>

> > On 12 jun, 20:48, "meerkat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> "hannes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...

> >> Creative likes IRQ 5.
> >> What have you got using 5 ?.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet
> >> weergeven -

> >> - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

> > irq 5 is empty... how can i change this?

> Try moving the sound card to a different PCI slot, this should change it's
> IRQ. What os are you using? If 9X you could try setting it manually in
> device manager or in the plug and play section of your BIOS.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

I tried to move the card.. but it continues to stay at irq 9 while 5
is empty. What should I do now?

hannes

On 13 jun, 17:59, hannes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 13 jun, 15:49, "meerkat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > "hannes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> > > irq 5 is empty... how can i change this?

> > Try moving the sound card to a different PCI slot, this should change it's
> > IRQ. What os are you using? If 9X you could try setting it manually in
> > device manager or in the plug and play section of your BIOS.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

> > - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

> I tried to move the card.. but it continues to stay at irq 9 while 5
> is empty. What should I do now?- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

I read about changing irq settings in windows XP. But this is only
possible if you change ACPI driver to standard PC. Then you're able to
change irq settings in BIOS. Is that right? and would it be a solution
if i don't have a real irq-conflict according to my computers logs..?

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

hannes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > Try moving the sound card to a different PCI slot, this should change it's
>> > IRQ. What os are you using? If 9X you could try setting it manually in
>> > device manager or in the plug and play section of your BIOS.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

>> > - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

>> I tried to move the card.. but it continues to stay at irq 9 while 5
>> is empty. What should I do now?- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -
>>
>> - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

>I read about changing irq settings in windows XP. But this is only
>possible if you change ACPI driver to standard PC. Then you're able to
>change irq settings in BIOS. Is that right? and would it be a solution
>if i don't have a real irq-conflict according to my computers logs..?

Start | Run <type in>
devmgmt.msc
<enter>

Goto your sound card, properties and look at the resource tab - if you
can change the IRQ this is where you would do it.

Some BIOS allow you to select legacy/PCI for an IRQ change 5 to
Legacy, then change the IRQ in the properties.

As Mentioned tho Your sound card should of picked up IRQ 5.

Some BIOS also allow you to reset the settings, not to default, but to
reset the hardware as it sees it.
--

http://static.flickr.com/81/218257045_101486a26c_o.jpg

Plato

hannes wrote:

> what can i do is isolate my soundcard; remove it to another irq or
> something else..??

Try moving it to another slot on the motherboard. Windows assigns
resources on the fly, perhaps moving the sound card to another slot will
free up some resources used by another card on your mobo.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Fixing XP Pro IRQ Conflict Jack Jernigan Computer Support 1 12-06-2006 03:22 AM
Playing MP3s with Firefox Jim Firefox 2 01-02-2005 02:22 PM
IRQ conflict problem Slacker Computer Support 3 04-13-2004 05:21 PM
IRQ shared/conflict problem Hambonz Computer Support 6 02-03-2004 01:47 AM
IRQ Conflict Silvester Computer Support 1 09-04-2003 07:09 PM

Advertisments