Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Leica lens on Panasonic subcompact - any good?

Leica lens on Panasonic subcompact - any good?

Chris Malcolm

In rec.photo.digital Irwin Peckinloomer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> <snip>
>> No, the question here was whether "their" is valid when used
>> with an singular pronoun, which I pointed out was fine
>> according to M-W. I made absolutely no comment about "lense"
>> until you challenged me by claiming that my dictionary
>> source for the use of "their" also allowed the use of
>> "lense". It doesn't.
>>
>> End of discussion.
>>

> Not the end of discussion. The dictionary you quote says "their" is
> plural. Can't be used correctly as object of a singular noun.
> THAT is the end of the discussion.

Unless you have a bigger dictionary which knows about the proper
singular use of "their".

Anyone want sugar in their coffee?

--
Chris Malcolm (E-Mail Removed) DoD #205
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

John Bean

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 08:01:23 GMT, Irwin Peckinloomer
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
><snip>
>> No, the question here was whether "their" is valid when used
>> with an singular pronoun, which I pointed out was fine
>> according to M-W. I made absolutely no comment about "lense"
>> until you challenged me by claiming that my dictionary
>> source for the use of "their" also allowed the use of
>> "lense". It doesn't.
>>
>> End of discussion.
>>

>Not the end of discussion. The dictionary you quote says "their" is
>plural. Can't be used correctly as object of a singular noun.
>THAT is the end of the discussion.

Read it again, especially the part that says "used with an
indefinite third person singular antecedent <anyone in their
senses -- W. H. Auden>"

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=their

You can read?

--
John Bean

John Bean

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 07:55:12 GMT, Irwin Peckinloomer
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 10:08:59 GMT, Irwin Peckinloomer
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Because "a person" is singular, and "their" is plural, so can't be used
>> >together in the same statement. The correct usage is "a person ... his
>> >(or her, or his or her) postings. Or "several persons ... their
>> >postings"

>> Merriam-Webster disagrees with you.
>>
>> http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=their
>>
>> >Trying to be politically correct does not trump being grammatically
>> >correct.

>> It was gramatically correct usage according to a
>> well-respected dictionary.
>>

>Your dictionary citation says "their" is plural, so it should not be
>used the singular "person"

1. Learn to read.
2. Read that dictionary definition again.

Clue: the part that says "used with an indefinite third
person singular antecedent <anyone in their senses -- W. H.
Auden>"

--
John Bean

Rob Morley

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Irwin
Peckinloomer
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> Your dictionary citation says "their" is plural, so it should not be
> used the singular "person"

It shouldn't be, but it is commonly used. A dictionary has to reflect
how language /is/ used, as well as how it /should/ be used (for some
value of 'should'). Living languages evolve, most users are ignorant or
dismissive of grammatical 'rules', sometimes changes enrich or add
convenience but sometimes they reduce the precision of communication.
In this case I think the use of 'their' as a third person singular
pronoun is ugly, but as the English language lacks anything to use in
its place (the old convention of using 'his' having fallen out of
favour, "his or her (or its)" being cumbersome) it's an obvious
convenience and will doubtless gain greater acceptance.

Alan Browne

Garrot wrote:

> just to scam gullible dumb ****s like yourself. Either that or you are

*PLONK* -for being an abusive a-hole.

Alan Browne

Richard Polhill wrote:

> No need for my regular diatribe on the subject of the use of the
> non-existent word "lense" in place of "lens".

You're not even involved in this thread but had to post this usual crap?

Who cares if some spell it wrong?

You had it right when you said "No need"

Frank ess

Alan Browne wrote:
> Richard Polhill wrote:
>
>> No need for my regular diatribe on the subject of the use of the
>> non-existent word "lense" in place of "lens".

> You're not even involved in this thread but had to post this usual
> crap?
> Who cares if some spell it wrong?
>
> You had it right when you said "No need"

Just as I feel no need to apologize for wishing "lense" out of
existence while understanding it in its use, nor for asserting
"person - their" is not correct while acknowledging its widespread
use.

My point was: if Mr Pretentious Allen had a point beyond
self-aggrandizement—which I don't doubt—dragging spelling quirks and
their influence on reader attitude into the arena of Usenet
discussions on the subject of—I forget what—leaves one vulnerable to
the same slings and arrows.

I regard use of "lense" and "person - their" as indicative of a
certain character trait or ignorance. My history includes experience
that validates that regard. With or without conscious consideration,
it is an influence on my attitude toward the producer of the document.
Really grates on my nerves, like "differnt than". Ick.

Some more liberal or flexible folks may not respond like that. If you
don't match my standards, so what? I don't match yours, so what? No
big deal. Other than the occasional whinge about it, not much we can
do, ne?

Boy Allen started it. I hope this finishes it.

Resp'y,

--
Frank ess

Les

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:20:08 -0700, "=\(8\)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Leica sets the specifications that Panasonic must follow in order to claim
>it is a Leica lens. However, Leica does not make the lens Panasonic does.
>Having owned both a FZ20 and I still own an FZ30 the lenses are very
>impressive. The same is true for the FZ50, however for it the higher
>resolution, small sensor and totally crappy noise reduction makes that
>camera total junk. However, the Leica lenses are fantastic.

As the owner of a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5, I disagree. I have been
taking photos for 65 years on this camera has produced some of the
best photos I have ever taken. It's not perfect and I hate the zoom
control - but I have never owned a perfect camera. The lens is superb
and having experienced the lens stabilisation, I will never buy a
camera without it from now on.

Have a look at the reviews rather than believe everything in this
thread. This is a good starting point:
www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Panasonic/

Les

Chris Malcolm

In rec.photo.digital Irwin Peckinloomer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 10:08:59 GMT, Irwin Peckinloomer
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Because "a person" is singular, and "their" is plural, so can't be used
>> >together in the same statement. The correct usage is "a person ... his
>> >(or her, or his or her) postings. Or "several persons ... their
>> >postings"

>> Merriam-Webster disagrees with you.
>>
>> http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=their
>>
>> >Trying to be politically correct does not trump being grammatically
>> >correct.

>> It was gramatically correct usage according to a
>> well-respected dictionary.
>>

> Your dictionary citation says "their" is plural, so it should not be
> used the singular "person"

Child abuse by ignorant grammar teachers is one of the major
unrecognised scandals of our time.

--
Chris Malcolm (E-Mail Removed) DoD #205
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Bill Funk

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:30:12 +0100, Richard Polhill
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The words "colour", "color" are perfectly acceptable spellings. "Lense" is not.

Why not?
I can use any of a number of current dictionaries, and find "lense" in
them.
Here's just one:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lense

United Nations chief nuclear weapons inspector
Mohamed ElBaradei tried to cool tensions between
the U.S. and Iran Thursday. He said it would be
an act of sheer madness to attack Iran over its
refusal to freeze their nuclear program.
So it's a go.