Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Leica lens on Panasonic subcompact - any good?

Leica lens on Panasonic subcompact - any good?

David J Taylor

Robert A. Cunningham wrote:
[]
> Question: I also own the FZ30, but was thinking about getting the
> FZ50. Based upon your comments regarding the FZ50, I guess you are
> saying the FZ30 is a better camera overall. Is that correct?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Robert A. Cunningham

It depends on what makes the camera "better" for you. There is no single
absolute measure.

David

John Bean

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 07:06:06 GMT, Irwin Peckinloomer
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...

>> > ...and of course you have irrefutable proof of all these accusations
>> > and are going to share them with us, right?
>> >
>> > nb

>> The proof is in the results you see. Leica sells a real West German
>> made 50mm lens for around $3,000. Do you honestly think anything
>> remotely related to that kind of engineering and production ends up in
>> a Chinese made Panasonic?
>>

>The Panasonic cameras are made in Japan. (check it out)

Don't confuse Rich by introducing facts to one of his
worthless rants.

--
John Bean

Allen

Irwin Peckinloomer wrote:
> In article <4670a4e5$0$8073$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>
>> Not in regard to this specific issue, but why would anyone ever believe
>> that a person who can't spell "lens" is much of an expert on lenses?
>> Allen
>>

> If you took everybody who can't spell (or use a spell checker) off
> Usenet you'd lose 85% of the morons, and 75% of the posters.

To me, the issue isn't spelling in general, but in consistently
misspelling a word that is a vital part of the area of expertise of the
subject. Anyone can maker typos, but consistency is the issue here.
Let's say that a person who claims to be an expert in the chemistry of
combustion consistently spells "oxygen" as "oxagen". Would you respect
their postings?
Allen

Richard Polhill

Allen wrote:
> Irwin Peckinloomer wrote:
>> In article <4670a4e5$0$8073$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>
>>> Not in regard to this specific issue, but why would anyone ever
>>> believe that a person who can't spell "lens" is much of an expert on
>>> lenses?
>>> Allen
>>>

>> If you took everybody who can't spell (or use a spell checker) off
>> Usenet you'd lose 85% of the morons, and 75% of the posters.

> To me, the issue isn't spelling in general, but in consistently
> misspelling a word that is a vital part of the area of expertise of the
> subject. Anyone can maker typos, but consistency is the issue here.
> Let's say that a person who claims to be an expert in the chemistry of
> combustion consistently spells "oxygen" as "oxagen". Would you respect
> their postings?
> Allen

My word, the world is turning to my POV.

No need for my regular diatribe on the subject of the use of the non-existent
word "lense" in place of "lens".

Saves my fingers and my blood pressure.

Vic Dura

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 08:45:27 -0500, Allen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote Re
Re: Leica lens on Panasonic subcompact - any good?:

>To me, the issue isn't spelling in general, but in consistently
>misspelling a word that is a vital part of the area of expertise of the
>subject. Anyone can maker typos, but consistency is the issue here.
>Let's say that a person who claims to be an expert in the chemistry of
>combustion consistently spells "oxygen" as "oxagen". Would you respect
>their postings?

No.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

EOS

On Jun 13, 4:24 pm, Garrot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 21:09:40 -0700, "=\(8\)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >What's the difference between a crack in the plastic and a dent in the
> >metal. In the end the result is the same. You case is damaged and the guts
> >maybe as well. People that think plastic cased cameras are cheap are just
> >idiots. I can you are unaware of it we have plastic now that can stop
> >bullets. Besides you drop just about any camera and you have most likely
> >trashed it. Of course there are some rare miracles but not many.

> >=(

> Yep, definitely an employee of Panasonic.

Panasonic Cameras are actually made of metal, at least my FX01

EOS

On Jun 13, 4:34 pm, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jun 13, 2:43 pm, notbob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On 2007-06-13, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Schneider on Kodaks, Zeiss on Sony's. It's the use of names for names
> > > sake, and has nothing to do with the actual quality or design of the
> > > lenses on those cheap cameras.

> > ...and of course you have irrefutable proof of all these accusations
> > and are going to share them with us, right?

> > nb

> The proof is in the results you see. Leica sells a real West German
> made 50mm lens for around $3,000. Do you honestly think anything
> remotely related to that kind of engineering and production ends up in
> a Chinese made Panasonic?

You've got to be over 60. You think like my dad. EVERYTHING is made in
China today- iPods, Macs, medical equipment and many cameras and
lenses. When you build a new factory, the soil you build it on has
very little to do with the quality of the products it will end up
producing. Most high tech factories in China are new, well built and
maintained and are manned with talented, hardworking people. The
result is a lot of quality products we use every day. Not admitting it
is maintaining the old western superiority complex, or worse plain
racism. To the matter itself, Leica like any other brand, know very
well that the brand name is all they have. if they sell the German
factory (another hint of the age is your reference to "West Germany"-
an entity that doesnt exist, at least not in the past 17 years) they
will not get a fraction of what they'd get if they sell the brand. so
such a valuable brand is carefully kept by only allowing quality
products to carry its name, though they can be manufuctured anywhere.
The argument of the $3000 Leica lens is the most redicilous. it's like
saying that Canon doesnt make the Elph because they also make a $8000
1sd. And to the very bottom line- Panasonic "LUMIX" camera with Leica
lenses are perhaps the best compact camera. They do lack in low light
performance, but in almost any other benchmark they score higher than
most.
Grow up guys, you're too old to argue like children.

John McWilliams

Richard Polhill wrote:
> Allen wrote:
>> Irwin Peckinloomer wrote:
>>> In article <4670a4e5$0$8073$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>> (E-Mail Removed) says...

>>> If you took everybody who can't spell (or use a spell checker) off
>>> Usenet you'd lose 85% of the morons, and 75% of the posters.

>> To me, the issue isn't spelling in general, but in consistently
>> misspelling a word that is a vital part of the area of expertise of
>> the subject. Anyone can maker typos, but consistency is the issue
>> here. Let's say that a person who claims to be an expert in the
>> chemistry of combustion consistently spells "oxygen" as "oxagen".
>> Would you respect their postings?
>> Allen

> My word, the world is turning to my POV.
>
> No need for my regular diatribe on the subject of the use of the
> non-existent word "lense" in place of "lens".
>
> Saves my fingers and my blood pressure.

Crikey! Where is Floyd now?

But that's bloody-mindedness, not ignorance.

--
john mcwilliams

Remember: Opinions are like buttocks; only those which are well-formed
should be shown in public.

Frank ess

Allen wrote:
> Irwin Peckinloomer wrote:
>> In article <4670a4e5$0$8073$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>
>>> Not in regard to this specific issue, but why would anyone ever
>>> believe that a person who can't spell "lens" is much of an expert
>>> on lenses? Allen
>>>

>> If you took everybody who can't spell (or use a spell checker) off
>> Usenet you'd lose 85% of the morons, and 75% of the posters.

> To me, the issue isn't spelling in general, but in consistently
> misspelling a word that is a vital part of the area of expertise of
> the subject. Anyone can maker typos, but consistency is the issue
> here. Let's say that a person who claims to be an expert in the
> chemistry of combustion consistently spells "oxygen" as "oxagen".
> Would you respect their postings?
> Allen

Would you respect the opinion of a person whose world view doesn't
account for societies whose language includes "colour" and "behaviour"
as correct spellings for familiar phenomena?

How about someone who refers to "a person" and "their postings"?

You're correct, anyone can maker typos, but it takes a particularly
pretentious, narrow-minded, insecure kid to attack someone over a
customary spelling, and then commit a Skitt's Law-confirming error,
right here in front of gahd and everybody, so it will circulate in Net
Space for ever and ever.

Very sincerely,

--
Frank ess
íViva predisambiguatization!

Richard Polhill

Frank ess wrote:

> Allen wrote:
>> Irwin Peckinloomer wrote:
>>> In article <4670a4e5$0$8073$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>> (E-Mail Removed) says...

>>> If you took everybody who can't spell (or use a spell checker) off
>>> Usenet you'd lose 85% of the morons, and 75% of the posters.

>> To me, the issue isn't spelling in general, but in consistently
>> misspelling a word that is a vital part of the area of expertise of
>> the subject. Anyone can maker typos, but consistency is the issue
>> here. Let's say that a person who claims to be an expert in the
>> chemistry of combustion consistently spells "oxygen" as "oxagen".
>> Would you respect their postings?
>> Allen

> Would you respect the opinion of a person whose world view doesn't
> account for societies whose language includes "colour" and "behaviour"
> as correct spellings for familiar phenomena?

The words "colour", "color" are perfectly acceptable spellings. "Lense" is not.

> How about someone who refers to "a person" and "their postings"?

Sounds good to me. Why do you ask?

> You're correct, anyone can maker typos, but it takes a particularly
> pretentious, narrow-minded, insecure kid to attack someone over a
> customary spelling, and then commit a Skitt's Law-confirming error,
> right here in front of gahd and everybody, so it will circulate in Net
> Space for ever and ever.

To which "customary spelling" are you referring?