Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Leica lens on Panasonic subcompact - any good?

Leica lens on Panasonic subcompact - any good?

notbob

On 2007-06-12, =( <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> camera. The Leica name carries a lot of weight in photography circles.

How about the camera? Is it made of metal or is just another heap of
plastic that'll crack the first time it's dropped?

nb

if

notbob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2007-06-12, =( <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> camera. The Leica name carries a lot of weight in photography circles.

> How about the camera? Is it made of metal or is just another heap of
> plastic that'll crack the first time it's dropped?

Mine is metal. It's quite heavy for it's size, the same weight as my old
Olympus MyuII yet only half the size. However it doesn't look very
dustproof or waterproof due to all the buttons and little holes, it really
needs to be kept in a case but they don't supply one in the box, which I
thought was very cheapskate: my old Olympus came with a leather case even
though its capsule design means it didn't really need one.

Rich

On Jun 12, 1:38 pm, Sammy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Many years ago we saw Nikon rebrand Nikkormat lenses as Nikkor. It
> diluted some of the brand value of Nikon but in the end all was ok.
>
> Now some Panasonic subcompact digital cameras have Leica lenses. (I've
> only just noticed but maybe they have done it for a long time.)
>
> http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l..._10/index.html
>
> I can't think Leitz would want to have its name on something which was
> very average. Is this baby a Leica lens generally better than the
> lenses on similar cameras?

Those Leica lenses are as "Leica" as the lens in an old Kodak.
The biggest con in cheap cameras is namedropping German lens design
companies, that have next to ZERO to do with the lens their name is
stamped on.

=\(8\)

"notbob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> On 2007-06-12, =( <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> camera. The Leica name carries a lot of weight in photography circles.

> How about the camera? Is it made of metal or is just another heap of
> plastic that'll crack the first time it's dropped?
>
> nb

What's the difference between a crack in the plastic and a dent in the
metal. In the end the result is the same. You case is damaged and the guts
maybe as well. People that think plastic cased cameras are cheap are just
idiots. I can you are unaware of it we have plastic now that can stop
bullets. Besides you drop just about any camera and you have most likely
trashed it. Of course there are some rare miracles but not many.

=(

=\(8\)

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Jun 12, 1:38 pm, Sammy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Many years ago we saw Nikon rebrand Nikkormat lenses as Nikkor. It
>> diluted some of the brand value of Nikon but in the end all was ok.
>>
>> Now some Panasonic subcompact digital cameras have Leica lenses. (I've
>> only just noticed but maybe they have done it for a long time.)
>>
>> http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l..._10/index.html
>>
>> I can't think Leitz would want to have its name on something which was
>> very average. Is this baby a Leica lens generally better than the
>> lenses on similar cameras?

> Those Leica lenses are as "Leica" as the lens in an old Kodak.
> The biggest con in cheap cameras is namedropping German lens design
> companies, that have next to ZERO to do with the lens their name is
> stamped on.

You are so full of it Rich. I submit that any company that allows there
names to be slapped on another's products and has no say in the quality of
the products or the quality of the technology said company is responsible
for is not a company that makes a good product. Leica is simply not going to
let Panasonic of anyone else simply slap their name on a product unless it
meets or exceeds their quality and design requirements. To do so is the
fastest way to trash a company. Those that do are already trash.

=(

David J Taylor

Sammy wrote:
> Many years ago we saw Nikon rebrand Nikkormat lenses as Nikkor. It
> diluted some of the brand value of Nikon but in the end all was ok.
>
> Now some Panasonic subcompact digital cameras have Leica lenses.
> (I've only just noticed but maybe they have done it for a long time.)
>
> http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l..._10/leica.html
> http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l..._10/index.html
>
> I can't think Leitz would want to have its name on something which was
> very average. Is this baby a Leica lens generally better than the
> lenses on similar cameras?

Yes, they do appear to be better than their Canon equivalents. We have
the slightly larger Panasonic FZ5 and FZ20 and have no hesitation in
recommending them.

David

Akiralx

"Sammy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Many years ago we saw Nikon rebrand Nikkormat lenses as Nikkor. It
> diluted some of the brand value of Nikon but in the end all was ok.
>
> Now some Panasonic subcompact digital cameras have Leica lenses. (I've
> only just noticed but maybe they have done it for a long time.)
>
> http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l..._10/leica.html
> http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l..._10/index.html
>
> I can't think Leitz would want to have its name on something which was
> very average. Is this baby a Leica lens generally better than the
> lenses on similar cameras?

I have the Panasonic LX2 and FX01, both with Leica lenses. Most reviewers
seem to find the lenses excellent, though neither camera performs well in
low light/high ISO.

Stan Beck

Yes, you didn't notice my little " "

The Panasonic is a nice little camera - I have one. Not as good as my Nikon
D200, but not bad. In the deal, Panasonic uses Nikon lenses, and Leica buys
the case and electronics from Panasonic - both win without having to invest
millions in new manufacturing.

--
The smaller the fine print, the less you will like what it says.

Stan Beck > From New Orleans to Brandon MS
To reply, remove 101 from address.
***

"=(" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:466f24c5$0$14128$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Stan Beck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> An interesting note is that some of Leica compact cameras are almost
>> identical to Panasonic, because that is what they are, with some minor
>> spec changes for Leica. Is it not curious that Panasonic would allow
>> it's cameras to be sold with the Leica name on it?
>>
>> It's an OEM partnership.
>>
>> --
>> The smaller the fine print, the less you will like what it says.
>>
>> Stan Beck > From New Orleans to Brandon MS
>> To reply, remove 101 from address.
>> ***
>>
>> "if" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> According to the blurb on the box, "Leica DC lenses are manufactured
>>> using measurement instruments and quality assurance systems that have
>>> been certified by Leica Camera AG based on the company's quality
>>> standards". I would have thought the lenses were also designed by Leica,
>>> though it doesn't actually state this so I don't know for sure.
>>>
>>> I've certainly no complaints about the lens quality, it's just a shame
>>> they chose to team up with a second-tier sensor manufacturer.

> Actually not it is not surprising that Panasonic would do that. Especially
> if they want to use the Leica name which gives them a much more salable
> camera. The Leica name carries a lot of weight in photography circles.
>
> =(

Stan Beck

Or a crack in the lens - I can't wait for metal lenses.

--
The smaller the fine print, the less you will like what it says.

Stan Beck > From New Orleans to Brandon MS
To reply, remove 101 from address.
***

"=(" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:466f6e19$0$14122$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "notbob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> On 2007-06-12, =( <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> camera. The Leica name carries a lot of weight in photography circles.

>> How about the camera? Is it made of metal or is just another heap of
>> plastic that'll crack the first time it's dropped?
>>
>> nb

> What's the difference between a crack in the plastic and a dent in the
> metal. In the end the result is the same. You case is damaged and the guts
> maybe as well. People that think plastic cased cameras are cheap are just
> idiots. I can you are unaware of it we have plastic now that can stop
> bullets. Besides you drop just about any camera and you have most likely
> trashed it. Of course there are some rare miracles but not many.
>
> =(

Sammy

On 12 Jun 2007, Frank Arthur <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Sammy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Many years ago we saw Nikon rebrand Nikkormat lenses as >
>>Nikkor.

> Please provide EVIDENCE that Nikon ever "rebranded" Nikkormat
> lenses. I think you are full of crap and fabricate as you write.
>

>> It diluted some of the brand value of Nikon but in the end all was
>> ok.
>>
>> Now some Panasonic subcompact digital cameras have Leica lenses.
>> (I've only just noticed but maybe they have done it for a long
>> time.)
>>
>> http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l..._10/leica.html
>> http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l..._10/index.html
>>
>> I can't think Leitz would want to have its name on something which
>> was very average. Is this baby a Leica lens generally better than
>> the lenses on similar cameras?

Frank, by rebrand I mean that Nikon changed the brand bame of their
entry level cameras and lenses. The old brand name in the 1970s of
Nikkormat was replaced by the Nikon brand.

The Nikkormat EL2 became the Nikon FE.

Check it out.

Apologies accepted.