Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Leica lens on Panasonic subcompact - any good?

Leica lens on Panasonic subcompact - any good?

m II

Bill Funk wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 13:43:50 +0100, Rob Morley <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, John
>> McWilliams
>> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

>>> BBBB But you forgot the apostrophe! It's one "lens'e", several "lens'es'".
>>>

>> Don't be silly - apostrophe's are only needed for some plurals.

> Like "it's", for example.

It is NOT used on plurals.

It's
"It's" is a contraction. It is short for "it is". It's not a way to
ascribe a property to some "it". Yes, I know that this would make sense
given that the general rule for forming a possessive is to tack on "'s":
fool's errand, brewer's yeast, horse's ass. "It's" is an exception to
this rule, and I honestly apologize on behalf of the infuriating English
language. I didn't invent this stupid rule, but it's hardwired into my
brain like gender of nouns to French speakers.

Examples:
It's a small world, after all. It's a small world, after all. It's
a small world, after all. It's a small world, after all.
You do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around, that's what
it's all about.

Its
"Its" is a possessive pronoun. Its interpretation is something like
"that which belongs to it", where "it" stands for some previously
defined object. In the previous sentence, the object being referred to
is the word "its", and the thing that belongs to it is its interpretation.

Examples:
He left it dead, and with its head he went galumphing back
Love rears its ugly head.

http://www.cgl.uwaterloo.ca/~csk/its.html

mike

m II

Les wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:20:08 -0700, "=\(8\)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Leica sets the specifications that Panasonic must follow in order to claim
>> it is a Leica lens. However, Leica does not make the lens Panasonic does.
>> Having owned both a FZ20 and I still own an FZ30 the lenses are very
>> impressive. The same is true for the FZ50, however for it the higher
>> resolution, small sensor and totally crappy noise reduction makes that
>> camera total junk. However, the Leica lenses are fantastic.

> As the owner of a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5, I disagree. I have been
> taking photos for 65 years on this camera has produced some of the
> best photos I have ever taken. It's not perfect and I hate the zoom
> control - but I have never owned a perfect camera. The lens is superb
> and having experienced the lens stabilisation, I will never buy a
> camera without it from now on.
>
> Have a look at the reviews rather than believe everything in this
> thread. This is a good starting point:
> www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Panasonic/
>
> Les

The noise issue seems to be a CONTINUOUS point of contention. Great
lens, sub par pictures.I have the FZ30 and I speak from personal use.

If you look at the list of pros and cons above you'll notice that the
pros are mostly concerned with the camera and the cons are mostly
concerned with the image, or more specifically the effect of noise and
Venus III noise reduction. This sums up the FZ50 perfectly; a fantastic
camera with a less than stellar sensor / processor, and way too many pixels.

And so what we have is a camera that stretches its sensor to almost
breaking point and compensates for the lack of sensitivity in anything
but the brightest conditions by using excessive noise reduction. The
FZ50 is an excellent 5 or 6MP camera, but a rather less impressive 10MP
camera.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pana...z50/page19.asp

John McWilliams

m II wrote:
> Bill Funk wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 13:43:50 +0100, Rob Morley <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, John
>>> McWilliams (E-Mail Removed) says...

>>> Don't be silly - apostrophe's are only needed for some plurals.

>> Like "it's", for example.

> It is NOT used on plurals.

> It's
> "It's" is a contraction. It is short for "it is". It's not a way to

Er, yes, thanks, all correct. However, I am sure the previous posters
were responding t.i.c. to a similar post of mine, which in turn, yada,
yada....

--
john mcwilliams

David J Taylor

m II wrote:
[]
> The noise issue seems to be a CONTINUOUS point of contention. Great
> lens, sub par pictures.I have the FZ30 and I speak from personal use.

With the earlier FZ5 and FZ20 (both 5MP cameras) noise is not a
significant problem in practice providing you keep the camera set to ISO
80 or 100. Using lower ISO rather than auto would help with your FZ30 as
well. Using the Digital Camera Noise Reduction function in programs like
Paint Shop Pro will also help.

I would not expect the noise to be even visible in normal use unless you
print at 8 x 10 inches or pixel-peep at 1:1 zoom.

David

Rob Morley

In article <dXmei.4551$tB5.4269@edtnps90>, m II
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Bill Funk wrote:
> > On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 13:43:50 +0100, Rob Morley <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, John
> >> McWilliams
> >> (E-Mail Removed) says...

> >> Don't be silly - apostrophe's are only needed for some plurals.

> > Like "it's", for example.

> It is NOT used on plurals.

I think maybe you need to recalibrate your irony meter.

John Turco

Rich wrote:

> On Jun 13, 12:12 am, "=\(8\)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<edited, for brevity>

> > You are so full of it Rich. I submit that any company that allows there
> > names to be slapped on another's products and has no say in the quality of
> > the products or the quality of the technology said company is responsible
> > for is not a company that makes a good product. Leica is simply not going to
> > let Panasonic of anyone else simply slap their name on a product unless it
> > meets or exceeds their quality and design requirements.

> Sure, which is why we see the same chromatic aberration from their P&S
> camera lenses(Panasonics) as everyone else's. Leica with Panasonic,
> Schneider on Kodaks, Zeiss on Sony's. It's the use of names for names
> sake, and has nothing to do with the actual quality or design of the
> lenses on those cheap cameras.

Hello, Rich:

Bingo! Slap a German name on >any< optical device, and it magically
becomes God's gift to photography.

That's what the marketers (or is it, marketeers?) seem to think, at
least. <g>

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

John Turco

dj_nme wrote:

<edited, for brevity>

> The difference between using colour/color as a reason why both "lens" &
> "lense" are correct is what's known as a "false arguement".
> The spelling "colour" is used by every native English speaking country,
> except for the USA, which uses the spelling "color".
> No native English speaking country uses the spelling "lense", it may be
> an attempt to make "cute" or "chibi" variation of the English spelling.
> It just isn't correct in any of the dictionaries which I own.
> Webster, Oxford and Macquarie all disagree with "lense".

<edited>

Hello, DJ:

Noah Webster (1758-1843), the famous American lexicographer, changed the
spelling of "colour" (and "humour," etc.), by the way.

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

John Turco

EOS wrote:

<edited, for brevity>

> You've got to be over 60. You think like my dad. EVERYTHING is made in
> China today- iPods, Macs, medical equipment and many cameras and
> lenses. When you build a new factory, the soil you build it on has
> very little to do with the quality of the products it will end up
> producing. Most high tech factories in China are new, well built and
> maintained and are manned with talented, hardworking people.

<edited>

Hello, EOS:

All very true...provided that they belong to Americans, Europeans,
Japanese or Koreans, that is. The "quality control" in China's >own<
factories, leaves a lot to be desired, from what I've seen of "no
name" Chinese merchandise.

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

John Turco

dj_nme wrote:

<heavily edited, for brevity>

> I was quite impressed with the Lumix FZ20 that a college purchased
> before he went on a world trip.

<edited>

Hello, DJ:

Hmmm. Are you sure that your "college" isn't a university, instead?

Ask "him," next chance you get! <g>

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

Frank ess