Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Leica lens on Panasonic subcompact - any good?

Leica lens on Panasonic subcompact - any good?

Rob Morley

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, John Bean
> On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 20:56:27 +0100, Rob Morley
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >In article <46772db9$0$22425$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
> >01.iinet.net.au>, dj_nme
> >(E-Mail Removed) says...
> >
> >> So, it makes me really wonder where that weird spelling variation came from.
> >>

> >Nouns that ends in 's' are plural, but the plural of 'lens' is 'lenses',
> >so the singular of 'lenses' must be 'lense'. Obvious really.

> I wonder why nobody calls a bus a "buse" then, or a boss a
> bosse, or a...

Because 'bu' and 'bo' end in vowels, but 'len' ends with a consonant -
didn't they teach you anything in school?

Rob Morley

In article <C29EC943.85D6%(E-Mail Removed)>, Unspam
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> > Richard Polhill wrote:
> >
> >> No need for my regular diatribe on the subject of the use of the
> >> non-existent word "lense" in place of "lens".

> > You're not even involved in this thread but had to post this usual crap?
> >
> > Who cares if some spell it wrong?
> >
> > You had it right when you said "No need"

> We must have standards.

That's the sort of rigid thinking that discourages originality and
creativity in kids these days - they should be encouraged to communicate
their ideas however it suits them (even if people can't figure out what
they mean because the spelling and grammar are 'original' and
'creative').

Roger

"Rob Morley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> In article <C29EC943.85D6%(E-Mail Removed)>, Unspam
> (E-Mail Removed) says...

>> > You're not even involved in this thread but had to post this usual
>> > crap?
>> >
>> > Who cares if some spell it wrong?
>> >
>> > You had it right when you said "No need"

>> We must have standards.
>>

> That's the sort of rigid thinking that discourages originality and
> creativity in kids these days - they should be encouraged to communicate
> their ideas however it suits them (even if people can't figure out what
> they mean because the spelling and grammar are 'original' and
> 'creative').

However, lense is a word that has a meaning already, thus:

a. trans. To make lean; to macerate. b. intr. To become lean.

a1000 in Napier OE. Glosses 32/1156 Macero..ic hlŠnsie. c1175 Lamb. Hom. 147
Mon lense his fleis hwenne he him efe lutel to etene and lesse to drinke.
c1200 Trin. Coll. Hom. 207 Mannes lichame ihalsne [Lamb. MS. lense] iwis,
enne me hine pined mid hunger and mid urste.

Hence lensing vbl. n., macerating.

c1175 Lamb. Hom. 147 Ac he munege us an oer rode to berene et is inemned
Carnis maceratio fleises lensing. c1200 Trin. Coll. Hom. 207 An oer
[rode]..at is cleped Carnis maceracio at is lichames hlensing.

Rob Morley

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Roger
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> However, lense is a word that has a meaning already, thus:
>
> a. trans. To make lean; to macerate. b. intr. To become lean.
>
> a1000 in Napier OE. Glosses 32/1156 Macero..ic hlŠnsie. c1175 Lamb. Hom.. 147
> Mon lense his fleis hwenne he him efe lutel to etene and lesse to drinke.
> c1200 Trin. Coll. Hom. 207 Mannes lichame ihalsne [Lamb. MS. lense] iwis,
> enne me hine pined mid hunger and mid urste.
>
> Hence lensing vbl. n., macerating.
>
> c1175 Lamb. Hom. 147 Ac he munege us an oer rode to berene et is inemned
> Carnis maceratio fleises lensing. c1200 Trin. Coll. Hom. 207 An oer
> [rode]..at is cleped Carnis maceracio at is lichames hlensing.

I can just about handle Gawain or the Canterbury Tales, but that stuff's
a bit too obscure.

Bill Funk

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 13:43:50 +0100, Rob Morley <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, John
>McWilliams
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Rob Morley wrote:
>> > In article <46772db9$0$22425$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
>> > 01.iinet.net.au>, dj_nme
>> > (E-Mail Removed) says...

>> > Nouns that ends in 's' are plural, but the plural of 'lens' is 'lenses',
>> > so the singular of 'lenses' must be 'lense'. Obvious really.

>> BBBB But you forgot the apostrophe! It's one "lens'e", several "lens'es'".
>>

>Don't be silly - apostrophe's are only needed for some plurals.

Like "it's", for example.

Bill Clinton agreed Monday to help Hillary
campaign in Iowa. He's had a lot of success
there before. This time his task is to warn
Iowans about the dangers of the John Edwards
health care plan and not about the presence
of a pool table in their community.

dj_nme

Arthur Seltzer wrote:
> dj_nme wrote:

<snip crap about "lense" Vs "lens">

>> The "Leica" lenses on the Panasonic compacts are manufactured in Japan
>> (unless some-one has a Lumix with "Made in X" stamped on the bottom to
>> prove me wrong) by Panasonic under licence from Leica.
>> Assuming that you feel that you can trust Panasonic to stick closely
>> to the designs licenced to them, then the lenses should be just as
>> good as anything that could be produced in the Solms factory.

> Whether the lens is truly made by Leica, made to Leica's specs by
> Panasonic, or simply a Panasonic lens with Leica's licensed name is
> something not worth spending too much concern on. Panasonic makes some
> very respectable optics and is well regarded in the professional
> broadcast market for their video cameras. At the other extreme, I own
> one of the most basic Panasonic camcorders with a Panasonic lens and the
> optical quality exceeds expectation. Finally, on a fixed lens camera
> with a small format lens, the difference between a Panasonic lens and a
> Leica lens is quite likely immeasurable.

I was quite impressed with the Lumix FZ20 that a college purchased
before he went on a world trip.
As far as I'm aware, the "Leica" version of this camera (and other
Panasonic digicams) is identical besides some cosmetic differences and
(of course) the (coveted) red badge on the front.

> If you want more control over
> lens quality, move up to a true SLR and choose from a wide selection of
> lenses. If the Lumix style camera is what you are looking for, know that
> it has been well reviewed, buy, and enjoy.

I wholeheartedly agree, most of the Lumix range look quite useful and
versatile.
I didn't buy one because I'd just bought Pentax ist-DS, to use my
K-mount lenses on.
Not because I didn't like it (or wasn't impressed), but because buying
(yet) another digicam would mean that it would probably just mostly sit
on a shelf, rather than being used (to take pictures) as it should be.

John Bean

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 13:43:51 +0100, Rob Morley
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, John Bean
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 20:56:27 +0100, Rob Morley
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >In article <46772db9$0$22425$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
>> >01.iinet.net.au>, dj_nme
>> >(E-Mail Removed) says...

>> >Nouns that ends in 's' are plural, but the plural of 'lens' is 'lenses',
>> >so the singular of 'lenses' must be 'lense'. Obvious really.

>> I wonder why nobody calls a bus a "buse" then, or a boss a
>> bosse, or a...
>>

>Because 'bu' and 'bo' end in vowels, but 'len' ends with a consonant -
>didn't they teach you anything in school?

I had bad vowel troubles when I was young. I think it was my
vowels anyway...

Ok then, since you moved the goalposts... why isn't the
"Marine Corps" called the "Marine Corpse"?

Is either spelling acceptable? I mean who cares whether
something is misspelled, nobody dies... Oops.

Ok, so the wordplay was a little dark and in bad taste but
it proves a point. It often *does* matter that words are
spelled correcly. Spelling counts.

--
John Bean

Rob Morley

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, John Bean
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> I had bad vowel troubles when I was young. I think it was my
> vowels anyway...

Diarrhoea can cause vowel problems.

> Ok then, since you moved the goalposts... why isn't the
> "Marine Corps" called the "Marine Corpse"?
>
> Is either spelling acceptable? I mean who cares whether
> something is misspelled, nobody dies... Oops.

Hehe.

> Ok, so the wordplay was a little dark and in bad taste

Jolly good.

> but
> it proves a point. It often *does* matter that words are
> spelled correcly. Spelling counts.

I always thought integers count.

Butt, joking a side, your rite of coarse.

Allen

Rob Morley wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, John Bean
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>> I had bad vowel troubles when I was young. I think it was my
>> vowels anyway...

> Diarrhoea can cause vowel problems.
>> Ok then, since you moved the goalposts... why isn't the
>> "Marine Corps" called the "Marine Corpse"?
>>
>> Is either spelling acceptable? I mean who cares whether
>> something is misspelled, nobody dies... Oops.

> Hehe.
>> Ok, so the wordplay was a little dark and in bad taste

> Jolly good.
>
>> but
>> it proves a point. It often *does* matter that words are
>> spelled correcly. Spelling counts.
>>

> I always thought integers count.
>
> Butt, joking a side, your rite of coarse.

Just for kicks, I ran your last line (a good one, by the way) through
Babelfish, translating it from English to French
and then back to English, with this result:

Join, while joking a side, your rite of crude.

When I entered you response with correct spelling, I got the follwing:

But, juking on side, you are right, naturally.

Other than "joking aside", it gave much better results.

I rest our cases.

Allen

John McWilliams

Allen wrote:
> Rob Morley wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, John Bean

>> Butt, joking a side, your rite of coarse.

> Just for kicks, I ran your last line (a good one, by the way) through
> Babelfish, translating it from English to French
> and then back to English, with this result:
>
> Join, while joking a side, your rite of crude.
>
> When I entered you response with correct spelling, I got the follwing:
>
> But, juking on side, you are right, naturally.
>
> Other than "joking aside", it gave much better results.
>
> I rest our cases.

And, well done, Sirs, well done!

There is far too much juking on the side (and frontally) in this here NG!

--
john mcwilliams