Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Query:how to use windows api in my c source code?

Query:how to use windows api in my c source code?

Morris Dovey

Al Balmer wrote:
| On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 21:42:37 +0200 (CEST), Net Nanny
| <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
|
|| On 12 Jun 2007 at 22:56, CBFalconer wrote:
||| Try the references in my sig. below:
|| If you really intend the OP to see the list of references, put it
|| in the main body of your post - many people have their newsreaders
|| hide signatures.
|
| I never heard of that. Which newsreaders provide that option? Why
| would anyone want to use it?

It's done all the time, Al - In fact, I just set up a 'rule' on
Outhouse Express that deletes all of netnanny's sigs.

| For the intended purpose, the references are in the proper place.
| They do exceed the 4-line limit, of course.

BFD! In the context of all other problems in the world today, there
are surely more pressing needs than counting lines in sig files...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Richard Heathfield

Morris Dovey said:

> Al Balmer wrote:

<snip>

> | For the intended purpose, the references are in the proper place.
> | They do exceed the 4-line limit, of course.
>
> BFD! In the context of all other problems in the world today, there
> are surely more pressing needs than counting lines in sig files...

There are more pressing needs than using an int to receive getchar's
return value, too. But when someone is told that int is appropriate and
yet continues to use char over and /over/ and OVER, what does that tell
us about him?

Chuck has been told over and /over/ and OVER about his sig, and yet he
continues to violate the Usenet convention of four lines. Until he
fixes that, his criticisms of other people's netiquette violations have
little or no moral force.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

Default User

Net Nanny wrote:

> You know better than to breach basic netiquette with this over-long
> sig. You should cut it down, and omit the second sig.

You are aware that the "second sig" is added by his news service, over
which he has no control, right?

Brian

Al Balmer

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:33:56 -0500, "Morris Dovey" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Al Balmer wrote:
>| On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 21:42:37 +0200 (CEST), Net Nanny
>| <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>|| If you really intend the OP to see the list of references, put it
>|| in the main body of your post - many people have their newsreaders
>|| hide signatures.
>|
>| I never heard of that. Which newsreaders provide that option? Why
>| would anyone want to use it?
>
>It's done all the time, Al - In fact, I just set up a 'rule' on
>Outhouse Express that deletes all of netnanny's sigs.

I can do better - a rule that deletes his entire post

I'd be interested in how you get OE to edit a received post with a
rule. In Outlook non-express, it could be done by running a script, I
suppose, but I've never used OE.

>| For the intended purpose, the references are in the proper place.
>| They do exceed the 4-line limit, of course.
>
>BFD! In the context of all other problems in the world today, there
>are surely more pressing needs than counting lines in sig files...

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ

Al Balmer wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 21:42:37 +0200 (CEST), Net Nanny
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On 12 Jun 2007 at 22:56, CBFalconer wrote:
> >> Try the references in my sig. below:

> > If you really intend the OP to see the list of references, put it
> > in the main body of your post - many people have their newsreaders
> > hide signatures.

> I never heard of that. Which newsreaders provide that option? Why
> would anyone want to use it?

I could, after a fashion, by setting the .sig text color to the same as
the background (it's currently a shade of gray somewhat darker than the
background). The text would still be there, and I could drag across it
and see it.

> For the intended purpose, the references are in the proper place. They
> do exceed the 4-line limit, of course.

True. It's not an flagrant violation, but one all the same.

Brian

Morris Dovey

Richard Heathfield wrote:
| Morris Dovey said:
|
|| Al Balmer wrote:
| <snip>
||| For the intended purpose, the references are in the proper place.
||| They do exceed the 4-line limit, of course.
|| BFD! In the context of all other problems in the world today, there
|| are surely more pressing needs than counting lines in sig files...
|
| There are more pressing needs than using an int to receive getchar's
| return value, too. But when someone is told that int is appropriate
| and yet continues to use char over and /over/ and OVER, what does
| that tell us about him?
|
| Chuck has been told over and /over/ and OVER about his sig, and yet
| he continues to violate the Usenet convention of four lines. Until
| he fixes that, his criticisms of other people's netiquette
| violations have little or no moral force.

Agreed. <s>

Still, here in c.l.c it does seem (to me) more appropriate to focus on
C language/usage issues than to waste time beating up on CBF for
teranews' antisocial behavior.

If CBF reads this and likes the idea, I'm willing to host an orphan
page with his C links. That way he can shrink his sig to point to that
page.

BTW, I still have a Post-It with your initials on it stuck to the
front of a small book (ISBN 0-13-110163-3) that you once said you
wanted. If you don't want it, please let me know - else send your
mailing address!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Richard Heathfield

Morris Dovey said:

> Richard Heathfield wrote:

<snip>

> | Chuck has been told over and /over/ and OVER about his sig, and yet
> | he continues to violate the Usenet convention of four lines. Until
> | he fixes that, his criticisms of other people's netiquette
> | violations have little or no moral force.
>
> Agreed. <s>
>
> Still, here in c.l.c it does seem (to me) more appropriate to focus on
> C language/usage issues than to waste time beating up on CBF for
> teranews' antisocial behavior.

Oh, I can live with that. I'm talking about /his/ outsized sig block
data, not his ISP's additions.

> BTW, I still have a Post-It with your initials on it stuck to the
> front of a small book

Can't be my book, then.

--

Al Balmer wrote:
| On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:33:56 -0500, "Morris Dovey"
| <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|| It's done all the time, Al - In fact, I just set up a 'rule' on
|| Outhouse Express that deletes all of netnanny's sigs.
|
| I can do better - a rule that deletes his entire post
|
| I'd be interested in how you get OE to edit a received post with a
| rule. In Outlook non-express, it could be done by running a script,
| I suppose, but I've never used OE.

Well, it's not exactly "editing". If truth be told, it deleted all
headers /and/ the message text right along with the sig.

Never used OE? Excellent decision!
I'm inclined to believe that in its original form OE was a real-time
tectonic emulator with more fault lines than California put together.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Morris Dovey

Richard Heathfield wrote:
| Morris Dovey said:
|
|| BTW, I still have a Post-It with your initials on it stuck to the
|| front of a small book
|
| Can't be my book, then.

Of course not. That would be ISBN 0-672-31896-2, three volumes over.
These days it'd probably be considered an act of terrorism to attempt
sending anything that heavy by air.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Richard Bos

"Default User" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Net Nanny wrote:
>
> > You know better than to breach basic netiquette with this over-long
> > sig. You should cut it down, and omit the second sig.

> You are aware that the "second sig" is added by his news service, over
> which he has no control, right?

Yes, he does. He can get a real, non-violating news service.

But please don't follow up to Kenny, or to his nyms.

Richard