Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Hiding my identity from Word document files

Reply
Thread Tools

Hiding my identity from Word document files

 
 
Jim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-12-2007
Is there a security utility which can help me with the following?

I need to write some letters for someone else as if the letters were
written only by the other person. I use my PC to write the leter and
will email the other person a Word DOC file to use on their PC. We both
use Word 2003 on WinXP.

However I do not want the DOC file I send to show that I have been
involved in any way at all.

(a) I do not want data in File > Properties.
(b) I do not want to have my default margins, font, etc.
(c) I don't want the document file to have other data which has from
elsewhere on my PC (perhaps temp data).

----

Until now I have been sending them unformatted text but this means the
other person has to paste it into Word and then lay it all out and put
in all the formatting for empahsis.

Is there some software which will strip out the identifiers in a Word
DOC file to anonymise it?

Do I need to use some Word function to have two different sets of
default layout? (See b above.)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Sebastian G.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-12-2007
Jim wrote:


> Is there some software which will strip out the identifiers in a Word
> DOC file to anonymise it?



Yes.

No, I'm not gonna search the link at <https://www.microsoft.com/downloads>
for you.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Walter Roberson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-12-2007
In article <Xns994DAD68935935D4AM2@127.0.0.1>, Jim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I need to write some letters for someone else as if the letters were
>written only by the other person.


>Until now I have been sending them unformatted text but this means the
>other person has to paste it into Word and then lay it all out and put
>in all the formatting for empahsis.


Perhaps if you save the file as RTF type? That's a text-only format,
so you could edit it to review that no trace of you is left in.

I don't use Word much; in what little I've done, I think I found that
the page size information was not preserved in the RTF file, which
required that the page size be changed on the imported file -- but that's
trivial compared to the import work they have had to use before.
 
Reply With Quote
 
HenryD9
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-12-2007
Simply have the other person cut your text and paste it into a fresh word
document on their computer??

"Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns994DAD68935935D4AM2@127.0.0.1...
> Is there a security utility which can help me with the following?
>
> I need to write some letters for someone else as if the letters were
> written only by the other person. I use my PC to write the leter and
> will email the other person a Word DOC file to use on their PC. We both
> use Word 2003 on WinXP.
>
> However I do not want the DOC file I send to show that I have been
> involved in any way at all.
>
> (a) I do not want data in File > Properties.
> (b) I do not want to have my default margins, font, etc.
> (c) I don't want the document file to have other data which has from
> elsewhere on my PC (perhaps temp data).
>
> ----
>
> Until now I have been sending them unformatted text but this means the
> other person has to paste it into Word and then lay it all out and put
> in all the formatting for empahsis.
>
> Is there some software which will strip out the identifiers in a Word
> DOC file to anonymise it?
>
> Do I need to use some Word function to have two different sets of
> default layout? (See b above.)


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-12-2007
On 12 Jun 2007, Walter Roberson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article Jim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>I need to write some letters for someone else as if the letters
>>were written only by the other person.
>>
>>Until now I have been sending them unformatted text but this means
>>the other person has to paste it into Word and then lay it all out
>>and put in all the formatting for empahsis.

>
>
> Perhaps if you save the file as RTF type? That's a text-only
> format, so you could edit it to review that no trace of you is left
> in.
>
> I don't use Word much; in what little I've done, I think I found
> that the page size information was not preserved in the RTF file,
> which required that the page size be changed on the imported file
> -- but that's trivial compared to the import work they have had to
> use before.


I tried RTF but I hear implementations are not consistent. For my needs
there is not quite enough formatting in the RTF which I get from my RTF
editor, Crypt Edit.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-12-2007
On 12 Jun 2007, HenryD9 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Simply have the other person cut your text and paste it into a
> fresh word document on their computer??
>
> "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns994DAD68935935D4AM2@127.0.0.1...
>> Is there a security utility which can help me with the following?
>>
>> I need to write some letters for someone else as if the letters
>> were written only by the other person. I use my PC to write the
>> leter and will email the other person a Word DOC file to use on
>> their PC. We both use Word 2003 on WinXP.
>>
>> However I do not want the DOC file I send to show that I have been
>> involved in any way at all.
>>
>> (a) I do not want data in File > Properties.
>> (b) I do not want to have my default margins, font, etc.
>> (c) I don't want the document file to have other data which has
>> from elsewhere on my PC (perhaps temp data).
>>
>> ----
>>
>> Until now I have been sending them unformatted text but this means
>> the other person has to paste it into Word and then lay it all out
>> and put in all the formatting for empahsis.
>>
>> Is there some software which will strip out the identifiers in a
>> Word DOC file to anonymise it?
>>
>> Do I need to use some Word function to have two different sets of
>> default layout? (See b above.)

>
>



Often cut and paste in Windows can preserve formatting.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-12-2007
On 12 Jun 2007, Sebastian G. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Jim wrote:
>
>
>> Is there some software which will strip out the identifiers in a
>> Word DOC file to anonymise it?

>
>
> Yes.
>
> No, I'm not gonna search the link at
> <https://www.microsoft.com/downloads> for you.


Good job you don't want to as there is nothing there. Heh!
 
Reply With Quote
 
Arthur T.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-12-2007
In Message-ID:<Xns994DAD68935935D4AM2@127.0.0.1>,
Jim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>However I do not want the DOC file I send to show that I have been
>involved in any way at all.
>
>(a) I do not want data in File > Properties.
>(b) I do not want to have my default margins, font, etc.
>(c) I don't want the document file to have other data which has from
>elsewhere on my PC (perhaps temp data).


Start by installing the M$ Remove Hidden Data add-in:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

However, this doesn't remove everything. The Statistics tab
of File Properties isn't affected. Also, of course, it won't
affect margins. However, you could set up a template with your
recipient's margins, etc.

Henry's suggestion is probably best: Have the recipient
copy-and-paste the whole document into a new one. This should be
done in conjunction with the RHD tool (before or after), as this
technique doesn't get rid of hidden text or some other things
you'd think it would. Note that formatting information *will*
stay with the text, so you must have the paragraph style, font,
and so on of your recipient.

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" intergate "dot" com
Looking for a z/OS (IBM mainframe) systems programmer position
 
Reply With Quote
 
Anders
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-12-2007
Jim skrev:
> Is there a security utility which can help me with the following?
>
> I need to write some letters for someone else as if the letters were
> written only by the other person. I use my PC to write the leter and
> will email the other person a Word DOC file to use on their PC. We both
> use Word 2003 on WinXP.
>
> However I do not want the DOC file I send to show that I have been
> involved in any way at all.
>
> (a) I do not want data in File > Properties.
> (b) I do not want to have my default margins, font, etc.
> (c) I don't want the document file to have other data which has from
> elsewhere on my PC (perhaps temp data).
>
> ----
>
> Until now I have been sending them unformatted text but this means the
> other person has to paste it into Word and then lay it all out and put
> in all the formatting for empahsis.
>
> Is there some software which will strip out the identifiers in a Word
> DOC file to anonymise it?
>
> Do I need to use some Word function to have two different sets of
> default layout? (See b above.)


If you have the extra space, and if there is a lot of letters you have
to writhe for him.
Why don't you just create a new user in his name?
It would probably save both you and him a lot of extra work.
Just a thought.
/Anders
 
Reply With Quote
 
Colin B.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-12-2007
In alt.computer.security Jim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 12 Jun 2007, Sebastian G. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Jim wrote:
>>
>>
>>> Is there some software which will strip out the identifiers in a
>>> Word DOC file to anonymise it?

>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> No, I'm not gonna search the link at
>> <https://www.microsoft.com/downloads> for you.

>
> Good job you don't want to as there is nothing there. Heh!


There is for me. If this is too difficult for you, you're in trouble.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Script for Hiding/Un-Hiding Text On Click Ste Javascript 41 08-01-2007 02:35 PM
HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.Name AND Context.User.Identity.Name; nalbayo ASP .Net 2 11-11-2005 11:12 PM
Hiding identity on OE? cd69 Computer Support 15 05-30-2005 03:46 AM
Hiding Gridlines of a word document Shreyas Madwanna ASP .Net 0 01-21-2004 03:04 PM
Difference between HttpContext.Current.User.Identity and identity Impersonation Giovanni Bassi ASP .Net 0 10-20-2003 02:25 PM



Advertisments