Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Porting to win64, problems

Porting to win64, problems

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

Hi...

One of our guys is trying to port the tanuki java service wrapper to win64
so we can try it with the 64-bit jvm and he's running into a lot of quirks.

The latest one is that the wrapper calls GetModuleFileName(NULL, szPath,
512) early on in initialization and on the 64-bit os, this function returns
just "c" - not the whole path of the executing program. It doesn't like the
incomplete result and bails.

I googled around a little bit but couldn't find any reference to the fact
that GetModuleFileName() doesn't seem to work in the 64-bit os. Any clues as
to what's going on?

Thanks
Mark

Theo

Since you're programming with Java, wouldn't you be in
better company if you went to the Sun Java Developer's web
site and posed your question there?

I would venture to guess there are many more Java
programmers hanging out there than there are here,
especially since this is not a forum geared toward any
programming.

Mark wrote:
> Hi...
>
> One of our guys is trying to port the tanuki java service wrapper to win64
> so we can try it with the 64-bit jvm and he's running into a lot of quirks.
>
> The latest one is that the wrapper calls GetModuleFileName(NULL, szPath,
> 512) early on in initialization and on the 64-bit os, this function returns
> just "c" - not the whole path of the executing program. It doesn't like the
> incomplete result and bails.
>
> I googled around a little bit but couldn't find any reference to the fact
> that GetModuleFileName() doesn't seem to work in the 64-bit os. Any clues as
> to what's going on?
>
> Thanks
> Mark

Theo

If you're trying to develop a web application, Sun has not
released a version of Java that has browser support in the
64-bit environment. The 32-bit Java works with all browsers
in x64.

Here's a link to a Tanuki forum site:
http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org/do...roduction.html

Theo wrote:
> Since you're programming with Java, wouldn't you be in better company if
> you went to the Sun Java Developer's web site and posed your question
> there?
>
> I would venture to guess there are many more Java programmers hanging
> out there than there are here, especially since this is not a forum
> geared toward any programming.
>

> Mark wrote:
>> Hi...
>>
>> One of our guys is trying to port the tanuki java service wrapper to
>> win64 so we can try it with the 64-bit jvm and he's running into a lot
>> of quirks.
>>
>> The latest one is that the wrapper calls GetModuleFileName(NULL,
>> szPath, 512) early on in initialization and on the 64-bit os, this
>> function returns just "c" - not the whole path of the executing
>> program. It doesn't like the incomplete result and bails.
>>
>> I googled around a little bit but couldn't find any reference to the
>> fact that GetModuleFileName() doesn't seem to work in the 64-bit os.
>> Any clues as to what's going on?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Mark

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

Hi Theo...

Tanuki runs java programs as windows services, but it is not written in Java
itself. It's written in C. The guys over there haven't tried to port it to
Windows 64-bit yet, so there wasn't a lot of useful info there.

I was looking for a Microsoft group for programming on the 64-bit os, but
didn't see any other group specifically mentioning that.

Thanks
Mark

"Theo" wrote:

> If you're trying to develop a web application, Sun has not
> released a version of Java that has browser support in the
> 64-bit environment. The 32-bit Java works with all browsers
> in x64.
>
> Here's a link to a Tanuki forum site:
> http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org/do...roduction.html
>
> Theo wrote:
> > Since you're programming with Java, wouldn't you be in better company if
> > you went to the Sun Java Developer's web site and posed your question
> > there?
> >
> > I would venture to guess there are many more Java programmers hanging
> > out there than there are here, especially since this is not a forum
> > geared toward any programming.
> >

> > Mark wrote:
> >> Hi...
> >>
> >> One of our guys is trying to port the tanuki java service wrapper to
> >> win64 so we can try it with the 64-bit jvm and he's running into a lot
> >> of quirks.
> >>
> >> The latest one is that the wrapper calls GetModuleFileName(NULL,
> >> szPath, 512) early on in initialization and on the 64-bit os, this
> >> function returns just "c" - not the whole path of the executing
> >> program. It doesn't like the incomplete result and bails.
> >>
> >> I googled around a little bit but couldn't find any reference to the
> >> fact that GetModuleFileName() doesn't seem to work in the 64-bit os.
> >> Any clues as to what's going on?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Mark

Tony Sperling

I don't think there are any. It doesn't change the programming much, any
developer group will probably have assistance for you.

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...