Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Router Troubles :(

Router Troubles :(

Joe Boland

Hey guys,

I'm currently running a home network with 3 PC's and my X-Box...the
problem is that the router will restart at random intervals, which is
extremely annoying if I'm in the middle of a game, a large download, or
a TS (or CS )session.

I've gone over my config time and time again, and I've even tried
resetting my router to factory defaults, but to no avail. I tried
calling D-Link, and the furthest I got there was talking to some guy who
kept telling me to ping localhost as every second troubleshooting step.

I've looked through message boards online, through their wonderful
knowledge (or lack of) base, and have found nothing.

When I connect a single PC (or even two with ICS), there's no
interruption to my connection or anything...nor does there seem to be
any problem connecting to other computers with interruption if the
router isn't connected to the internet.

It's a D-Link DI-614+, if that helps any.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Kurt

This will happen if there is an IP address conflict (especially if there is
another unit with the same address as the router). What happens is when the
arp cache expires, you arp for the ip address. whichever unit replys first
is the winner until next time. Do an ipconfig on all of your computers and
make sure all three (and the router) have a unique address.

"Joe Boland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0nYyd.783$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey guys,
>
> I'm currently running a home network with 3 PC's and my X-Box...the
> problem is that the router will restart at random intervals, which is
> extremely annoying if I'm in the middle of a game, a large download, or
> a TS (or CS )session.
>
> I've gone over my config time and time again, and I've even tried
> resetting my router to factory defaults, but to no avail. I tried
> calling D-Link, and the furthest I got there was talking to some guy who
> kept telling me to ping localhost as every second troubleshooting step.
>
> I've looked through message boards online, through their wonderful
> knowledge (or lack of) base, and have found nothing.
>
> When I connect a single PC (or even two with ICS), there's no
> interruption to my connection or anything...nor does there seem to be
> any problem connecting to other computers with interruption if the
> router isn't connected to the internet.
>
> It's a D-Link DI-614+, if that helps any.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Joe

Joe Boland

Well, I'm very meticulous about setting my addresses differently. My
computer is 0.2, my brother's is 0.3, my mom's is 0.4, my aunt's is 0.5,
and my X-Box is 0.10...

Kurt wrote:
> This will happen if there is an IP address conflict (especially if there is
> another unit with the same address as the router). What happens is when the
> arp cache expires, you arp for the ip address. whichever unit replys first
> is the winner until next time. Do an ipconfig on all of your computers and
> make sure all three (and the router) have a unique address.
>
> "Joe Boland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:0nYyd.783$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Hey guys,
>>
>>I'm currently running a home network with 3 PC's and my X-Box...the
>>problem is that the router will restart at random intervals, which is
>>extremely annoying if I'm in the middle of a game, a large download, or
>>a TS (or CS )session.
>>
>>I've gone over my config time and time again, and I've even tried
>>resetting my router to factory defaults, but to no avail. I tried
>>calling D-Link, and the furthest I got there was talking to some guy who
>>kept telling me to ping localhost as every second troubleshooting step.
>>
>>I've looked through message boards online, through their wonderful
>>knowledge (or lack of) base, and have found nothing.
>>
>>When I connect a single PC (or even two with ICS), there's no
>>interruption to my connection or anything...nor does there seem to be
>>any problem connecting to other computers with interruption if the
>>router isn't connected to the internet.
>>
>>It's a D-Link DI-614+, if that helps any.
>>
>>Thanks in advance,
>>
>>Joe

DarkWind

1. Replace your cables
2. Flash the Router BIOS
3. Replace the Router

"Joe Boland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0nYyd.783$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey guys,
>
> I'm currently running a home network with 3 PC's and my X-Box...the
> problem is that the router will restart at random intervals, which is
> extremely annoying if I'm in the middle of a game, a large download, or
> a TS (or CS )session.
>
> I've gone over my config time and time again, and I've even tried
> resetting my router to factory defaults, but to no avail. I tried
> calling D-Link, and the furthest I got there was talking to some guy who
> kept telling me to ping localhost as every second troubleshooting step.
>
> I've looked through message boards online, through their wonderful
> knowledge (or lack of) base, and have found nothing.
>
> When I connect a single PC (or even two with ICS), there's no
> interruption to my connection or anything...nor does there seem to be
> any problem connecting to other computers with interruption if the
> router isn't connected to the internet.
>
> It's a D-Link DI-614+, if that helps any.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Joe

Cisco 2621 Router Flash Troubles RG Cisco 1 06-09-2010 03:54 AM
Troubles installing a new router. bonzo53215 Hardware 4 07-27-2006 03:59 AM
Router Troubles Pix Computer Support 7 02-09-2006 06:49 AM
Troubles with Cisco 2620 Router? stephen-yam Cisco 0 10-28-2005 03:43 AM
IE 6 Troubles ... Maybe Cable Router Too? Sens Fan Trapped In Ohio Computer Support 1 07-06-2003 04:04 PM

Advertisments