Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > How do I overwrite existing web.config with a new one?

How do I overwrite existing web.config with a new one?

Andy

I thought I could RDP to the web server, open the web.config, make the
change, and save it.

But this causes IIS to hang, and it never recovers - I have to create
a new website in IIS!

Should I be copying the existing web.config, changing it, and then
copying the new version over the old version?

Any help appreciated, it is driving me nuts!

John Timney \(MVP\)

If you change web.config, IIS should recognise a change has occurred and
restart, loading the new values. I always issue an iisreset after I change
web.config - perhasp that will help you solve your issue.

Regards

John Timney (MVP)
http://www.johntimney.com
http://www.johntimney.com/blog

"Andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I thought I could RDP to the web server, open the web.config, make the
> change, and save it.
>
> But this causes IIS to hang, and it never recovers - I have to create
> a new website in IIS!
>
> Should I be copying the existing web.config, changing it, and then
> copying the new version over the old version?
>
> Any help appreciated, it is driving me nuts!

Andy

On 12 Jun, 09:33, "John Timney \(MVP\)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> If you change web.config, IIS should recognise a change has occurred and
> restart, loading the new values. I always issue an iisreset after I change
> web.config - perhasp that will help you solve your issue.
>
> Regards
>
> John Timney (MVP)http://www.johntimney.comhttp://www.johntimney.com/blog

How does an IIS Reset compare with a full restart of IIS? Does it do
anything differently?

> "Andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>
> >I thought I could RDP to the web server, open the web.config, make the
> > change, and save it.

> > But this causes IIS to hang, and it never recovers - I have to create
> > a new website in IIS!

> > Should I be copying the existing web.config, changing it, and then
> > copying the new version over the old version?

> > Any help appreciated, it is driving me nuts!

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> How does an IIS Reset compare with a full restart of IIS?

Running iisreset.exe from the command-line (IIS reset) executes a full stop/restart of IIS.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
foros de asp.net, en espańol : http://asp.net.do/foros/
======================================
"Andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On 12 Jun, 09:33, "John Timney \(MVP\)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> If you change web.config, IIS should recognise a change has occurred and
>> restart, loading the new values. I always issue an iisreset after I change
>> web.config - perhasp that will help you solve your issue.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> John Timney (MVP)http://www.johntimney.comhttp://www.johntimney.com/blog

> How does an IIS Reset compare with a full restart of IIS? Does it do
> anything differently?
>
>> "Andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>
>> >I thought I could RDP to the web server, open the web.config, make the
>> > change, and save it.

>> > But this causes IIS to hang, and it never recovers - I have to create
>> > a new website in IIS!

>> > Should I be copying the existing web.config, changing it, and then
>> > copying the new version over the old version?

>> > Any help appreciated, it is driving me nuts!

Mythran

"Andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I thought I could RDP to the web server, open the web.config, make the
> change, and save it.
>
> But this causes IIS to hang, and it never recovers - I have to create
> a new website in IIS!
>
> Should I be copying the existing web.config, changing it, and then
> copying the new version over the old version?
>
> Any help appreciated, it is driving me nuts!

If IIS hangs after a web.config change, something is wrong. IIS should not
hang, but instead it should signal a JIT recompile the next time someone
accesses a page for that application/application pool.

HTH,
Mythran

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=F6ran_Andersson?=

Andy wrote:
> I thought I could RDP to the web server, open the web.config, make the
> change, and save it.

Waht did you use to edit the file? Notepad works fine, but if you use an
editor that lockes the file while editing, this might possible mess up IIS.

> But this causes IIS to hang, and it never recovers - I have to create
> a new website in IIS!

Was it IIS or the web site that did hang?

> Should I be copying the existing web.config, changing it, and then
> copying the new version over the old version?

That would solve the problem if it is the editor that is causing it.

--
Göran Andersson
_____