Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > WordPad problem

WordPad problem

dh@.

On 13 Jun 2007 06:11:58 GMT, thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>dh@. wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
><SNIP>
>
>> What does a person have
>> to do to get WordPad to open WordPad files?

>Why do you think there are about 200,000 NotePad and WordPad and
>Word replacements, almost all of which are smaller, faster,
>better (many are also free), and which don't get you in this
>kind of mess with a product made by a company which purposely
>makes a new version of a major program incompatible with the
>previous one thereby forcing everyone to buy the new version?

I didn't know they did that nasty crap, and in fact use WordPad
specifically trying to avoid such problems since it seems like
every PC should be able to deal with WordPad and NotePad.

>Unless you are doing serious DTP or pre-print or printing fancy
>stuff at home for whatever reasons, you should always use txt
>and txt only.

That's what I do when I'm only keeping up with plain text.

>Every computer on Earth can read it, it's 20-50
>times smaller than the doc format, it's faster and it never
>causes any trouble.
>
>I strongly recommend you try NoteTab Light, it's free and you
>will not believe what it can do.
>
>http://www.notetab.com
>
>BTW, if you rename your files to whatever01.txt (etc) and open
>them in Notepad (unless they're too big, in which case just DL
>the above mentioned program) you should be able to extract the
>text. It'll be a hassle but that's the price.
>
>95% of a doc format file has nothing to do with the word
>content. But Word does like to include snippets of sentences you
>*thought* you deleted,

I never use Word, and never have used it.

>your name (even if you had no intention
>of having it there), and other more or less interesting things.
>Great product.

I'm just trying to get WordPad to open WordPad documents,
and still have hopes that someone can tell me how to do it.

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk

On 20 Jun, 21:01, dh@. wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 13:07:54 -0700, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >On Jun 12, 2:18 am, dh@. wrote:
> >> I made some WordPad documents using Windows 98 and WordPad. Then I
> >> loaded them into another computer that uses Windows xp version 5.1. They
> >> appeared to load okay, but when I try to open them I get the message:

> >> Can not load Word for Windows 6.0 files.

> >> What's up with that? Do later versions of WordPad not recognise things
> >> done using earlier versions, or what?

> >Windows XP is Windows NT v5.1 (the 5.1 is mentioned in
> >start..run..msinfo32)

> >There is no such thing as your term.

> Which term it that?

I didn't want to repeat it

you wrote 'windows xp version 5.1' <-- and that's wrong !!

There's NT 5.1.
NT 5.0 is win 2k
NT 5.1 is Win xp
NT 5.2 is 2k3

But NT 5.1 is not a version of XP. It is XP.

Nevertheless, somebody that KNOWINGLY writes what you also write you
wrote "word for windows 6.0" <-- that's really dumb. Somebody that
writes that is really beyond reason. I don't think you'll see out of
your tunnel. You don't have an organised mind. You mix things up and
it means nothing to you.

infact, you also write
"Word for Windows 6.0" . Now that's misleading, but I don't mind
repeating it 'cos the damage has already been done. In the days of
windows 3.1, secretaries were buying a dummy or idiot guide to
wordperfect 5.2 I think it was an idiot guide. It was yellow, not
blue. The book was titled something like. "WordPerfect for Windows
5.2" But it was worse than that, 'cos it was for windows 3.1. It
caused a whole load of secretaries to think they were learning windows
5.2 and wordperfect 3.1. I thought that misleading terminology was
in the past, and even then, it was with wordperfect, not word.
It's Word 6 or 95 or 7 or 97 or 2000 or 2003. And which versions of
windows they work on is another matter. I think 2003 requires win xp
sp2 or something.. Word 2000 will work in windows 98. They aren't
stuck in a windows version, unless that particular version of office
has an issue.

> >Anyhow, something screwed up. Try to repeat the problem if you're
> >interested finding what the problem was, the root of it. But to just
> >solve your problem. You have a file you want to open.

> >If you don't have Ms Word, try Word Viewer.
> >It's free and should open anything from word, wordpad, whatever. Just
> >as Word would.
> >http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...d=95E24C87-873...

> >Like Word, it can open documents saved in earlier versions of Word.

> >You can then click edit..select all, and Copy,paste. The text into
> >your word processor e.g. wordpad.

> It still seems that there must be some way of getting WordPad to
> open WordPad documents...

If this is just some odd issue, then your idea just doesn't follow..

I'm willing to bet that wordpad does open wordpad documents, across
windows versions.

For example. THere was once an ugly as hell, greedy, ram eating
programming IDE called jbuilder.. for writing java programs. (this
was before better ones like IDEA, or the more generic, Eclipse).

I found that when putting the files onto a disk, it may have been an
iomega zip disk, or may have been a floppy disk. I can't remember. But
it was a disk. And transferring the files to another computer. The
files screwed up. When opening the jbuilder project, all the package
names were displayed in capital letters, and the program wouldn't
run. The only option within jbuilder was to rewrite bits of the
code..
Somebody else had had exactly the same problem, years ago and asked in
a forum. He had had no reply. I emailed him and asked him if he had
found an answer. He said yes "transfer them over the network" that
works. Lo and behold, that worked.

This wasn't a standard issue. Almost nobody else had run into it. It
wasn't an issue of - well, jbuilder should be able to do it. Because
computers aren't like that. With standard problems, there are standard
convenient solutions or fixes. With non-standard problems, the
workarounds may not be convenient, things aren't so well documented.

moving data from one comp to another is a standard procedure. That
doesn't mean that any problem that occurs with that is a standard
problem.

But don't try to define this as a standard problem. Wordpad does open
wordpad documents. But something ODD is happening along the way,
during the procedure, that is causing a problem.

You could do investigations to find out why. i.e. what is happening.

Or you could just use a workaround.

If people here can reproduce the problem, then they may be able to
solve it.
The basis of solving a problem is reproducing it. (That's why
intermittent problems are a nuisance). Maybe somebody has win98 or
has it on a virtual machine and is willing to look into it. Or give it
a try.. But it may work for them.

You have to realise that alot of things go on with computers. Problems
are caused by very low level things. They aren't obvious. They have
to be solved. Troubleshooting has to be done. In many cases, people
have done it before, seen the problem,. and can save you the
trouble. Posting to a newsgroup improves the chance of getting help
that way. I think you're looking at this wrongly.

Use the workaround.

and/or try to look into what is happening. And remember, if people
can't reproduce your problem then there isn't much they can do to
troubleshoot it on their own machine.

i'd just consider the workaround as a solution. There are enough
problems. And there are interesting things to look into!

If you can be bothered you could look at the file in a hex editor on a
system that can read it. And on one that can't. Maybe copy wordpad.exe
from one machine to another.

But the way you're going about this isn't getting anywhere. It's
almost as bad as somebody I knew who stood for 5 minutes by a door and
whined "why is the door open", and that wasn't the first time they'd
whined about it.

Ben Myers

dh@.> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 13 Jun 2007 06:11:58 GMT, thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >dh@. wrote in
> >news:(E-Mail Removed) :
> >
> ><SNIP>
> >
> >> What does a person have
> >> to do to get WordPad to open WordPad files?

> >Why do you think there are about 200,000 NotePad and WordPad and
> >Word replacements, almost all of which are smaller, faster,
> >better (many are also free), and which don't get you in this
> >kind of mess with a product made by a company which purposely
> >makes a new version of a major program incompatible with the
> >previous one thereby forcing everyone to buy the new version?

> I didn't know they did that nasty crap, and in fact use WordPad
> specifically trying to avoid such problems since it seems like
> every PC should be able to deal with WordPad and NotePad.
>
> >Unless you are doing serious DTP or pre-print or printing fancy
> >stuff at home for whatever reasons, you should always use txt
> >and txt only.

> That's what I do when I'm only keeping up with plain text.
>
> >Every computer on Earth can read it, it's 20-50
> >times smaller than the doc format, it's faster and it never
> >causes any trouble.
> >
> >I strongly recommend you try NoteTab Light, it's free and you
> >will not believe what it can do.
> >
> >http://www.notetab.com
> >
> >BTW, if you rename your files to whatever01.txt (etc) and open
> >them in Notepad (unless they're too big, in which case just DL
> >the above mentioned program) you should be able to extract the
> >text. It'll be a hassle but that's the price.
> >
> >95% of a doc format file has nothing to do with the word
> >content. But Word does like to include snippets of sentences you
> >*thought* you deleted,

> I never use Word, and never have used it.
>
> >your name (even if you had no intention
> >of having it there), and other more or less interesting things.
> >Great product.

> I'm just trying to get WordPad to open WordPad documents,
> and still have hopes that someone can tell me how to do it.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883090

Ben