Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Portal through which Canadian can call U.S. toll-free number that is blocked to non-U.S. Callers

Portal through which Canadian can call U.S. toll-free number that is blocked to non-U.S. Callers

Martin

Hello,

I live in Canada and, on a daily basis, make several telephone calls, for
business purposes, to numbers in the U.S. (BTW, I'm not a telemarketer.)

Some of them are toll-free numbers that are blocked to callers from outside
the U.S. When I then Google the company for its local non-toll-free number,
I'm often unsuccessful, thus leaving me unable to make telephone contact
with the company that I'm calling.

Does anyone know of a portal/gateway/special number that I can call that
would then allow me to get through to companies with numbers blocked to
non-U.S. callers? In other words, the portal/gateway/special number would
place my call on an American, rather than Canadian, calling platform.

As always, thanks in advance.

Regards,

Martin

fpartida@gmail.com

On Jun 11, 5:41 pm, "Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I live in Canada and, on a daily basis, make several telephone calls, for
> business purposes, to numbers in the U.S. (BTW, I'm not a telemarketer.)
>
> Some of them are toll-free numbers that are blocked to callers from outside
> the U.S. When I then Google the company for its local non-toll-free number,
> I'm often unsuccessful, thus leaving me unable to make telephone contact
> with the company that I'm calling.
>
> Does anyone know of a portal/gateway/special number that I can call that
> would then allow me to get through to companies with numbers blocked to
> non-U.S. callers? In other words, the portal/gateway/special number would
> place my call on an American, rather than Canadian, calling platform.
>
> As always, thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
>
> Martin

I have wondered if it would be possible to use a VoIP phone in Canada
and have the provider assign a US area code. I am familiar with the
Packet8 business system here in California and it allows me to take my
phone and use it anywhere theres an internet connection. People that
call my number get routed directly tp my phone. I don't know if this
is true fpr all VoIP phone systems or only the ones using a Virtual
PBX system.

Martin

Hello,

As a matter of fact, I'm a customer of Vonage USA, and have a line and
number with an American area code.

Though I'm in Canada, the fact that I'm on the Vonage platform allows me to
call all numbers in the US, even those that are blocked to non-American
callers.

As far as the circuitry is concerned, so to speak, I'm calling from *within*
the States.

I don't know if it's being on Vonage (whether Vonage Canada or Vonage USA)
that allows me to call otherwise blocked numbers, or if it's due to my
American area code that allows me to call through to the party that I'm
calling.

The reason for my post is that I may be disconnecting Vonage, and will need
a substitute once I'm back on a Canadian calling platform.

As far as your post is concerned, Vonage Canada provides lines only with
Canadian area codes, though one can get an American, Canadian or overseas
virtual number. Equally, Vonage USA offers lines only with U.S. area codes
and virtual numbers that are American, Canadian or overseas.

Regards,

Martin

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
| On Jun 11, 5:41 pm, "Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
| > Hello,
| >
| > I live in Canada and, on a daily basis, make several telephone calls,
for
| > business purposes, to numbers in the U.S. (BTW, I'm not a telemarketer.)
| >
| > Some of them are toll-free numbers that are blocked to callers from
outside
| > the U.S. When I then Google the company for its local non-toll-free
number,
| > I'm often unsuccessful, thus leaving me unable to make telephone contact
| > with the company that I'm calling.
| >
| > Does anyone know of a portal/gateway/special number that I can call that
| > would then allow me to get through to companies with numbers blocked to
| > non-U.S. callers? In other words, the portal/gateway/special number
would
| > place my call on an American, rather than Canadian, calling platform.
| >
| > As always, thanks in advance.
| >
| > Regards,
| >
| > Martin
|
| I have wondered if it would be possible to use a VoIP phone in Canada
| and have the provider assign a US area code. I am familiar with the
| Packet8 business system here in California and it allows me to take my
| phone and use it anywhere theres an internet connection. People that
| call my number get routed directly tp my phone. I don't know if this
| is true fpr all VoIP phone systems or only the ones using a Virtual
| PBX system.

Evan Platt

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 18:36:44 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I have wondered if it would be possible to use a VoIP phone in Canada
>and have the provider assign a US area code. I am familiar with the
>Packet8 business system here in California and it allows me to take my
>phone and use it anywhere theres an internet connection. People that
>call my number get routed directly tp my phone. I don't know if this
>is true fpr all VoIP phone systems or only the ones using a Virtual
>PBX system.

I doubt it.

I have Packet8, and have a 510 area code number. I cannot call a local
radio stations 800 # (the recording says something about number not
available in my area) yet on my POTS line, same area code, I can call
fine.

Plato

Martin wrote:

> I live in Canada and, on a daily basis, make several telephone calls, for
> business purposes, to numbers in the U.S. (BTW, I'm not a telemarketer.)
>
> Some of them are toll-free numbers that are blocked to callers from outside
> the U.S. When I then Google the company for its local non-toll-free number,
> I'm often unsuccessful, thus leaving me unable to make telephone contact
> with the company that I'm calling.
>
> Does anyone know of a portal/gateway/special number that I can call that
> would then allow me to get through to companies with numbers blocked to
> non-U.S. callers? In other words, the portal/gateway/special number would
> place my call on an American, rather than Canadian, calling platform.

I dont know the answer, but yes, I have started to experience the same
even calling from the USA to "toll free" numbers. Seems like the phone
companies are limiting the real toll free numbers to some countries.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/