Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Safari on XP

Safari on XP

Nik Coughlin

Just download the Safari for XP beta from Apple.

Less than impressed:

http://nrkn.com/temp/safariXp.jpg

Where's all the text gone? In the screenshot I have what I assume to be the
file menu open.

AWESUM GUYS!

Dan

On Jun 11, 7:11 pm, "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Just download the Safari for XP beta from Apple.
>
> Less than impressed:
>
> http://nrkn.com/temp/safariXp.jpg
>
> Where's all the text gone? In the screenshot I have what I assume to be the
> file menu open.

I didn't have *that* problem, but I did experience the browser
crashing or hanging several times over a fairly brief trial of it. I
think they've still got a lot of bugs to work out.

--
Dan

none

Nik Coughlin wrote:
> Just download the Safari for XP beta from Apple.
>
> Less than impressed:
>
> AWESUM GUYS!

*awesome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softwar...ase_cycle#Beta

-=rjh=-

Dan wrote:
> On Jun 11, 7:11 pm, "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Just download the Safari for XP beta from Apple.
>>
>> Less than impressed:
>>
>> http://nrkn.com/temp/safariXp.jpg
>>
>> Where's all the text gone? In the screenshot I have what I assume to be the
>> file menu open.

> I didn't have *that* problem, but I did experience the browser
> crashing or hanging several times over a fairly brief trial of it. I
> think they've still got a lot of bugs to work out.

I found it unusable here:

Title bar doesn't behave like Windows titlebars do, hence unable to
shade Safari.

Can only resize using lower right corner of window. This is a problem as
the Safari window initialised at more than full screen.

When maximised Safari suppresses the taskbar if you have this set to
autohide.

In XP Tablet Edition, no TIP available for text input. In fact, pretty
well unusable on a tablet PC.

Opened 3 tabs, after about 5 minutes of use it froze.

Looked quite good while it lasted, though; not particularly quick but
worth a look. More choice is good. Maybe the Linux version will be better?

SAZ

In article <466dd690$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Just download the Safari for XP beta from Apple.
>
> Less than impressed:
>
> http://nrkn.com/temp/safariXp.jpg
>
> Where's all the text gone? In the screenshot I have what I assume to be the
> file menu open.
>
> AWESUM GUYS!

Works perfectly on my XP machine for over an hour now. So far, I like
it.

SEOwebMarket.com

On Jun 11, 6:11 pm, "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Just download the Safari for XP beta from Apple.
>
> Less than impressed

I figure a few windows users (ie. eBay bidders) are interested in the
twice-as-fast page load speed that Safari boasts over internet
explorer.

http://www.apple.com/safari/

The other big announcement today was 64-bit Mac OS X Leopard releasing
in October (that natively runs windows & vista) will have a new Finder
with a "Cover Flow" view of your files (like iTunes) and a new dock
with icon stacks.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/

WWDC 2007 Keynote Address
http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/d7625zs/event/

Brett
http://seowebmarket.com

Matt Probert

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 00:46:31 -0700, "SEOwebMarket.com"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Jun 11, 6:11 pm, "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Just download the Safari for XP beta from Apple.
>>
>> Less than impressed

>I figure a few windows users (ie. eBay bidders) are interested in the
>twice-as-fast page load speed that Safari boasts over internet
>explorer.

Didn't see any great improvements. But perhaps pages on my site are
fast rendering anyway?

Other than that, it comes across to me as "just another gui browser".
No need to change.

Matt

--
The Probert Encyclopaedia

Reliable, accountable, data for serious researchers

Understandable and usable information for students

http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com

Karl Groves

"Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:466dd690$(E-Mail Removed):

> Just download the Safari for XP beta from Apple.
>
> Less than impressed:
>
> http://nrkn.com/temp/safariXp.jpg
>
> Where's all the text gone? In the screenshot I have what I assume to
> be the file menu open.
>
> AWESUM GUYS!

I just downloaded it, but haven't installed it.
However, this is the second time I've heard someone comment on missing
text.
I'm beginning to think maybe I shouldn't bother until it is out of beta...

--
Karl Groves
http://www.karlcore.com/cms/id/domains-for-sale/

paul watt

"Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:466dd690$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just download the Safari for XP beta from Apple.
>
> Less than impressed:
>
> http://nrkn.com/temp/safariXp.jpg
>
> Where's all the text gone? In the screenshot I have what I assume to be
> the file menu open.
>
> AWESUM GUYS!

Just another Browser to test on. Call me lame, but I'm sticking with IE7

--
Paul Watt

http://www.paulwattdesigns.com

GreyWyvern

And lo, paul watt didst speak in alt.html,alt.www.webmaster,nz.comp:

[snip:Safari on windows]

> Just another Browser to test on. Call me lame,

You're lame. [1]

> but I'm sticking with IE7

As a designer, you would be wise to use a browser which supports the
latest and greatest web technologies and specifications, so you can learn
them well in advance of IE's slowly increasing support for them. Things
such as SVG, CSS3, and canvas, which are due to radically change the way
the web looks once IE catches up.

Sure you can wait until there is widespread browser support before
learning these things, but by then so many developers will be ahead of
you, you will need to play catch up.

I know how you feel. IE feels nice, and displays pages the way you think
they should be displayed. But its lack of support for new technologies
cripples it as a developer learning tool, if nothing else.

Grey

[1] Don't blame me, you asked for it.

--
The technical axiom that nothing is impossible sinisterly implies the
pitfall corollary that nothing is ridiculous.