Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Home Networking, Printer sharing, Never worked, Internet OK

Home Networking, Printer sharing, Never worked, Internet OK

MEG

OK I've tried for 3 months now and have not been able to get home
network up. I never had one so I'm not sure what to look for. I
have 2 computers working through a router to DSL and they both work
the Internet fine. On my computer (Lets call it # 1) I'm connected
ethernet into the router. I can see the router in "My Network" (says
2700HG-D Gateway), My shared docs, but that is it. #2 is wireless to
the router and when I click on "My Network" on that one all I get is
the wireless connector & several disabled type connections. I have
run the automatic home network program in XP 25 times now & it never
reports a problem (#1 says something about a "Rhine II" being
disconnected but I'm thinking that has to do with a ethernet but, I
thought I was connected ethernet, but I'm working to the internet).
I've disabled all or some of the firewalls at one time or another;
Windows and McAffee on both computers. The really strange thing is
I can see the other computer in McAffee. Probably some stupid little
thing I'm overlooking but I'll check out any reasonable idea. #1 is
a Dell running XP Home and #2 is HP running XP home the router and
modem is called '2Wire' and I've gone over the options there but I
really don't know what to look for. Like I say, everyghing is workng
fine, I just can't see the other computer & would really like to be
able to share printers. thanks for any suggestions.

PeeCee

"MEG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> OK I've tried for 3 months now and have not been able to get home
> network up. I never had one so I'm not sure what to look for. I
> have 2 computers working through a router to DSL and they both work
> the Internet fine. On my computer (Lets call it # 1) I'm connected
> ethernet into the router. I can see the router in "My Network" (says
> 2700HG-D Gateway), My shared docs, but that is it. #2 is wireless to
> the router and when I click on "My Network" on that one all I get is
> the wireless connector & several disabled type connections. I have
> run the automatic home network program in XP 25 times now & it never
> reports a problem (#1 says something about a "Rhine II" being
> disconnected but I'm thinking that has to do with a ethernet but, I
> thought I was connected ethernet, but I'm working to the internet).
> I've disabled all or some of the firewalls at one time or another;
> Windows and McAffee on both computers. The really strange thing is
> I can see the other computer in McAffee. Probably some stupid little
> thing I'm overlooking but I'll check out any reasonable idea. #1 is
> a Dell running XP Home and #2 is HP running XP home the router and
> modem is called '2Wire' and I've gone over the options there but I
> really don't know what to look for. Like I say, everyghing is workng
> fine, I just can't see the other computer & would really like to be
> able to share printers. thanks for any suggestions.

Meg

This sort of problem is often caused by Firewalls, try disabling 'all' of
the firewalls at once.
The other 'gotcha' is to make sure both computers are on the same WorkGroup.

Best
Paul.

MEG

On Jun 11, 2:54 pm, "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "MEG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>

> > OK I've tried for 3 months now and have not been able to get home
> > network up. I never had one so I'm not sure what to look for. I
> > have 2 computers working through a router to DSL and they both work
> > the Internet fine. On my computer (Lets call it # 1) I'm connected
> > ethernet into the router. I can see the router in "My Network" (says
> > 2700HG-D Gateway), My shared docs, but that is it. #2 is wireless to
> > the router and when I click on "My Network" on that one all I get is
> > the wireless connector & several disabled type connections. I have
> > run the automatic home network program in XP 25 times now & it never
> > reports a problem (#1 says something about a "Rhine II" being
> > disconnected but I'm thinking that has to do with a ethernet but, I
> > thought I was connected ethernet, but I'm working to the internet).
> > I've disabled all or some of the firewalls at one time or another;
> > Windows and McAffee on both computers. The really strange thing is
> > I can see the other computer in McAffee. Probably some stupid little
> > thing I'm overlooking but I'll check out any reasonable idea. #1 is
> > a Dell running XP Home and #2 is HP running XP home the router and
> > modem is called '2Wire' and I've gone over the options there but I
> > really don't know what to look for. Like I say, everyghing is workng
> > fine, I just can't see the other computer & would really like to be
> > able to share printers. thanks for any suggestions.

> Meg
>
> This sort of problem is often caused by Firewalls, try disabling 'all' of
> the firewalls at once.
> The other 'gotcha' is to make sure both computers are on the same WorkGroup.
>
> Best
> Paul.

Yeah, tried that several times. Funny I can ping the other computer,
I would think that meant there was a connection.

WhzzKdd

"MEG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Jun 11, 2:54 pm, "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "MEG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>

>> > OK I've tried for 3 months now and have not been able to get home
>> > network up. I never had one so I'm not sure what to look for. I
>> > have 2 computers working through a router to DSL and they both work
>> > the Internet fine. On my computer (Lets call it # 1) I'm connected
>> > ethernet into the router. I can see the router in "My Network" (says
>> > 2700HG-D Gateway), My shared docs, but that is it. #2 is wireless to
>> > the router and when I click on "My Network" on that one all I get is
>> > the wireless connector & several disabled type connections. I have
>> > run the automatic home network program in XP 25 times now & it never
>> > reports a problem (#1 says something about a "Rhine II" being
>> > disconnected but I'm thinking that has to do with a ethernet but, I
>> > thought I was connected ethernet, but I'm working to the internet).
>> > I've disabled all or some of the firewalls at one time or another;
>> > Windows and McAffee on both computers. The really strange thing is
>> > I can see the other computer in McAffee. Probably some stupid little
>> > thing I'm overlooking but I'll check out any reasonable idea. #1 is
>> > a Dell running XP Home and #2 is HP running XP home the router and
>> > modem is called '2Wire' and I've gone over the options there but I
>> > really don't know what to look for. Like I say, everyghing is workng
>> > fine, I just can't see the other computer & would really like to be
>> > able to share printers. thanks for any suggestions.

>> Meg
>>
>> This sort of problem is often caused by Firewalls, try disabling 'all' of
>> the firewalls at once.
>> The other 'gotcha' is to make sure both computers are on the same
>> WorkGroup.
>>
>> Best
>> Paul.

> Yeah, tried that several times. Funny I can ping the other computer,
> I would think that meant there was a connection.

Call your local neighborhood teenage geek over - they'll have you going in
no time <g>

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

MEG wrote:
> On Jun 11, 2:54 pm, "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"MEG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) groups.com...
>>

>>>OK I've tried for 3 months now and have not been able to get home
>>>network up. I never had one so I'm not sure what to look for. I
>>>have 2 computers working through a router to DSL and they both work
>>>the Internet fine. On my computer (Lets call it # 1) I'm connected
>>>ethernet into the router. I can see the router in "My Network" (says
>>>2700HG-D Gateway), My shared docs, but that is it. #2 is wireless to
>>>the router and when I click on "My Network" on that one all I get is
>>>the wireless connector & several disabled type connections. I have
>>>run the automatic home network program in XP 25 times now & it never
>>>reports a problem (#1 says something about a "Rhine II" being
>>>disconnected but I'm thinking that has to do with a ethernet but, I
>>>thought I was connected ethernet, but I'm working to the internet).
>>>I've disabled all or some of the firewalls at one time or another;
>>>Windows and McAffee on both computers. The really strange thing is
>>>I can see the other computer in McAffee. Probably some stupid little
>>>thing I'm overlooking but I'll check out any reasonable idea. #1 is
>>>a Dell running XP Home and #2 is HP running XP home the router and
>>>modem is called '2Wire' and I've gone over the options there but I
>>>really don't know what to look for. Like I say, everyghing is workng
>>>fine, I just can't see the other computer & would really like to be
>>>able to share printers. thanks for any suggestions.

>>Meg
>>
>>This sort of problem is often caused by Firewalls, try disabling 'all' of
>>the firewalls at once.
>>The other 'gotcha' is to make sure both computers are on the same WorkGroup.
>>
>>Best
>>Paul.

> Yeah, tried that several times. Funny I can ping the other computer,
> I would think that meant there was a connection.

Have you "shared" any drives or folders? Also recreate any profiles with
exactly the same user names and passwords on both machines.

MEG

On Jun 11, 5:46 pm, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
> "MEG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>

> > On Jun 11, 2:54 pm, "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> "MEG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >>news:(E-Mail Removed) groups.com...

> >> Meg

> >> This sort of problem is often caused by Firewalls, try disabling 'all' of
> >> the firewalls at once.
> >> The other 'gotcha' is to make sure both computers are on the same
> >> WorkGroup.

> >> Best
> >> Paul.

> > Yeah, tried that several times. Funny I can ping the other computer,
> > I would think that meant there was a connection.

> Call your local neighborhood teenage geek over - they'll have you going in
> no time <g>

I've been thinking about something along that line.

MEG

On Jun 11, 5:52 pm, Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> MEG wrote:
> > On Jun 11, 2:54 pm, "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >>"MEG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >>news:(E-Mail Removed) groups.com...

> >>Meg

> >>This sort of problem is often caused by Firewalls, try disabling 'all' of
> >>the firewalls at once.
> >>The other 'gotcha' is to make sure both computers are on the same WorkGroup.

> >>Best
> >>Paul.

> > Yeah, tried that several times. Funny I can ping the other computer,
> > I would think that meant there was a connection.

> Have you "shared" any drives or folders? Also recreate any profiles with
> exactly the same user names and passwords on both machines.

I've shared a bunch on this computer I'll double check the other
one. I'm not sure what you mean 'profiles'. I've made the network
setup disk from one computer and transfered it to the other a dozen
times. Thanks for the thought however.

WhzzKdd

"MEG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> On Jun 11, 5:46 pm, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
>> "MEG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

>> > Yeah, tried that several times. Funny I can ping the other computer,
>> > I would think that meant there was a connection.

>> Call your local neighborhood teenage geek over - they'll have you going
>> in
>> no time <g>

> I've been thinking about something along that line.

And most will work for pizza

why?

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 23:50:40 -0000, MEG wrote:

>On Jun 11, 2:54 pm, "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "MEG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>

>> > OK I've tried for 3 months now and have not been able to get home

I have always wondered why there are so many posts saying these things
are so difficult.

>> > network up. I never had one so I'm not sure what to look for. I
>> > have 2 computers working through a router to DSL and they both work
>> > the Internet fine. On my computer (Lets call it # 1) I'm connected
>> > ethernet into the router. I can see the router in "My Network" (says
>> > 2700HG-D Gateway), My shared docs, but that is it. #2 is wireless to
>> > the router and when I click on "My Network" on that one all I get is
>> > the wireless connector & several disabled type connections. I have

Less story and what disables type connections. The Ethernet network
adapter card is usually very easy to identify.

>> > run the automatic home network program in XP 25 times now & it never

Never used then and IIRC several posters say it either works or more
often doesn't

>> > reports a problem (#1 says something about a "Rhine II" being

It is, IIRC that's the Ethernet chipset built in on some motherboards.
You motherboard manual or specs should say that.

Checking www.google.com it is,
VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter 3.54.0.439

>> > disconnected but I'm thinking that has to do with a ethernet but, I
>> > thought I was connected ethernet, but I'm working to the internet).

Ethernet is the LAN technology. With the router you mentioned it's how
you get your LAN connection to your PCs and the WAN connection through
the router to your ISP, hence internet.

This should be the (usually) enabled Local Area Connection in Network
Connections.

>> > I've disabled all or some of the firewalls at one time or another;
>> > Windows and McAffee on both computers. The really strange thing is
>> > I can see the other computer in McAffee. Probably some stupid little
>> > thing I'm overlooking but I'll check out any reasonable idea. #1 is

For file / print sharing once it's working you will likely find an allow
F/P (or local NetBIOS) traffic option in the firewalls.

>> > a Dell running XP Home and #2 is HP running XP home the router and
>> > modem is called '2Wire' and I've gone over the options there but I

BT in the UK use modems with 2Wire names.

>> > really don't know what to look for. Like I say, everyghing is workng

Only thing that needed changed for our place is disable wireless and
make sure the name/password is set.

>> > fine, I just can't see the other computer & would really like to be
>> > able to share printers. thanks for any suggestions.

>> Meg
>>
>> This sort of problem is often caused by Firewalls, try disabling 'all' of
>> the firewalls at once.
>> The other 'gotcha' is to make sure both computers are on the same WorkGroup.
>>
>> Best
>> Paul.

>Yeah, tried that several times. Funny I can ping the other computer,
>I would think that meant there was a connection.

So what did you ping the machine name or it's IP address? There is a big
difference.

F/P sharing is really odd, many times connecting to a share as
\\IPaddress\c$ will work and the \\computername\creadshare doesn't

It will eventually.

As mentioned same workgroup and same username/password on both PCs as
well.

Me

MEG

> > network up. I never had one so I'm not sure what to look for. I
>> have 2 computers working through a router to DSL and they both work
>> the Internet fine. On my computer (Lets call it # 1) I'm connected
>> ethernet into the router. I can see the router in "My Network" (says
>> 2700HG-D Gateway), My shared docs, but that is it. #2 is wireless to
>> the router and when I click on "My Network" on that one all I get is
>> the wireless connector & several disabled type connections. I have

> Less story and what disables type connections. The Ethernet network
> adapter card is usually very easy to identify.

I don't know what you are trying to say there. I don't have an
adapter card, it is probably on the motherboard, I just plugged it in.

>> run the automatic home network program in XP 25 times now & it never

> Never used then and IIRC several posters say it either works or more
> often doesn't

So, got a link to instructions on how to do it without the Automatic?

>> reports a problem (#1 says something about a "Rhine II" being

> It is, IIRC that's the Ethernet chipset built in on some motherboards.
> You motherboard manual or specs should say that.

So, should I be using it? when I do the setup it says the Rhine II is
disconnected yet I have a cable in the only connection on the back of
the computer. I just choose "ignore" because it makes no damn
sense.

> Checking www.google.comit is,
> VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter 3.54.0.439

Yeah, I looked it up to but according to the computer the cable is
disconnected.

>> disconnected but I'm thinking that has to do with a ethernet but, I
>> thought I was connected ethernet, but I'm working to the internet).

> Ethernet is the LAN technology. With the router you mentioned it's how
> you get your LAN connection to your PCs and the WAN connection through
> the router to your ISP, hence internet.

OK, I got that part.

> This should be the (usually) enabled Local Area Connection in Network
> Connections.

>> I've disabled all or some of the firewalls at one time or another;
>> Windows and McAffee on both computers. The really strange thing is
>> I can see the other computer in McAffee. Probably some stupid little
>> thing I'm overlooking but I'll check out any reasonable idea.

> For file / print sharing once it's working you will likely find an allow
> F/P (or local NetBIOS) traffic option in the firewalls.

found that in McAffee already

>> a Dell running XP Home and #2 is HP running XP home the router and
>> modem is called '2Wire' and I've gone over the options there but I

> BT in the UK use modems with 2Wire names.

>> really don't know what to look for. Like I say, everything is working

0> Only thing that needed changed for our place is disable wireless
and
> make sure the name/password is set.

I use the wireless for the other computer, I don't see why that would
be a problem

>> fine, I just can't see the other computer & would really like to be
>> able to share printers. thanks for any suggestions.

>> This sort of problem is often caused by Firewalls, try disabling 'all' of
>> the firewalls at once.
>> The other 'gotcha' is to make sure both computers are on the same WorkGroup.

Yes, they are both on the same named workgroup, yes, yes, yes.

>>Yeah, tried that several times. Funny I can ping the other computer,
>>I would think that meant there was a connection.

> So what did you ping the machine name or it's IP address? There is a big
> difference.

Good thought but I pinged the computer by name

> F/P sharing is really odd, many times connecting to a share as
> \\IPaddress\c$ will work and the \\computername\creadshare doesn't
> It will eventually.

I haven't tried that. So I just put in the names on that auto setup
or you indicated it probably doesn't work so just what would I change
or do different?

> As mentioned same workgroup and same username/password on both PCs as
> well.

OK Me, the work group is HOME on both computers, always has been. It
defaults to MSHOME so I have to change it every time. I haven't seen
or had need of a password necessary anywhere.