Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > WinXP did not ask for Product code

WinXP did not ask for Product code

don

I had to reload my WinXP OEM disk onto my laptop today and was surprised
that during loading it never asked me to enter its product code - I then
preceded to upgrade it with WinXP service 2 and was surprised again when I
had no problems.... just wondering why since this was a complete reformat of
my hard disk

Gordon

"don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f4kekd$dpb$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I had to reload my WinXP OEM disk onto my laptop today and was surprised
>that during loading it never asked me to enter its product code - I then
>preceded to upgrade it with WinXP service 2 and was surprised again when I
>had no problems.... just wondering why since this was a complete reformat
>of my hard disk

Are you SURE that what you have is actually a Microsoft Windows XP CD and
not a Restore CD?

Daave

don wrote:
> I had to reload my WinXP OEM disk onto my laptop today and was
> surprised that during loading it never asked me to enter its product
> code - I then preceded to upgrade it with WinXP service 2 and was
> surprised again when I had no problems.... just wondering why since
> this was a complete reformat of my hard disk

This is common.

If you reinstall a "golden master" OEM copy of Windows XP (e.g., from a
royalty OEM such as Dell), there is no need to enter a product key
because of an anti-pirating feature called system-locked
preinstallation.

So if someone else got a hold of your disc, they wouldn't be able to use
it unless they have the same make, model, and configuration of computer
(and presumably the same type of XP license...Home or Pro) you have.

Jan

In article <f4kekd$dpb$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I had to reload my WinXP OEM disk onto my laptop today and was surprised
> that during loading it never asked me to enter its product code - I then
> preceded to upgrade it with WinXP service 2 and was surprised again when I
> had no problems.... just wondering why since this was a complete reformat of
> my hard disk

Same for my Dell laptop - formatted and reinstalled and no product key
or activation required.

PeeCee

"don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f4kekd$dpb$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I had to reload my WinXP OEM disk onto my laptop today and was surprised
>that during loading it never asked me to enter its product code - I then
>preceded to upgrade it with WinXP service 2 and was surprised again when I
>had no problems.... just wondering why since this was a complete reformat
>of my hard disk

Don

Perfectly normal behaviour for an XP OEM CD.
You will have noticed it did not require activation either.

During boot up that OEM CD checks to see if it is installing on a particular
brand / model of PC.
If it is not the install routine exits and 'will not' install.

There fore if it will only install on one particular brand / model
and
the manufacturer has bought licenses for 'every' machine it of that model it
ever made
then
the CD can be configured to automatically install a manufacturers key and
bypass activation
because
Microsoft is happy the CD can not be pirated.

Best
Paul.

Bucky Breeder

"don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:f4kekd$dpb$(E-Mail Removed):

> I had to reload my WinXP OEM disk onto my laptop today and was surprised
> that during loading it never asked me to enter its product code - I then
> preceded to upgrade it with WinXP service 2 and was surprised again when
> I had no problems.... just wondering why since this was a complete
> reformat of my hard disk

Same for my HP [*sucks*] Media Center, MCE 2005 box.
HP, I spit on you "speettttppphhh-tph-tph"!

But, it calls home and checks in, you just don't see it.

--

Stock tip: Corn-dog Flavored Popcicles

don

Very interesting, my laptop is a Dell 8600

"Daave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:466dc766$0$505$(E-Mail Removed)...
> don wrote:
>> I had to reload my WinXP OEM disk onto my laptop today and was
>> surprised that during loading it never asked me to enter its product
>> code - I then preceded to upgrade it with WinXP service 2 and was
>> surprised again when I had no problems.... just wondering why since
>> this was a complete reformat of my hard disk

> This is common.
>
> If you reinstall a "golden master" OEM copy of Windows XP (e.g., from a
> royalty OEM such as Dell), there is no need to enter a product key
> because of an anti-pirating feature called system-locked
> preinstallation.
>
> So if someone else got a hold of your disc, they wouldn't be able to use
> it unless they have the same make, model, and configuration of computer
> (and presumably the same type of XP license...Home or Pro) you have.

WhzzKdd

"don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f4krng$1je$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Very interesting, my laptop is a Dell 8600

We have dozens of Dell PCs and laptops at the office. All the WinXP setup
discs provided by Dell work that way. If you look at the files on the disk,
there's a folder called $OEM$ with the customized software from Dell.

These discs WILL install Windows on a non-Dell computer, but you will need a
key and activation.

Other Microsoft issued XP discs WILL install on a Dell computer, but again,
you will need a key and activation. For instance, some Dell desktops we had
were purchased with XP Home (small office, not networked). When they put in
a Windows Server, we updated the PCs to XP Pro using standard upgrade
packages.

Daave

WhzzKdd wrote:

> These discs WILL install Windows on a non-Dell computer, but you will
> need a key and activation.

Then I guess I was wrong when I said they wouldn't!

I'm surprised that these Dell disks will install on non-Dell computers.
I always thought that this was never the case. Live and learn.

Evan Platt

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 21:09:03 -0400, "don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Very interesting, my laptop is a Dell 8600

Ummm.. OK.