Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > WinXP did not ask for Product code

WinXP did not ask for Product code

WhzzKdd

"Daave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:466e04b2$0$491$(E-Mail Removed)...
> WhzzKdd wrote:
>
>> These discs WILL install Windows on a non-Dell computer, but you will
>> need a key and activation.

> Then I guess I was wrong when I said they wouldn't!
>
> I'm surprised that these Dell disks will install on non-Dell computers.
> I always thought that this was never the case. Live and learn.

Until I slipstreamed my own SP2 disc, I used the SP2 disc from the office
Dell at home. As long as I had a legal key, activation went fine.

I imagine other OEM products may have different results though, so you may
still be correct. Especially for "system recovery" type of discs - obviously
tied to specific brands and models.

don

Suppose I used virtual software on my laptop like VMware6, would this WinXP
OEM disk still install with no activation/product code required? I ask this
because I would like to practive networking between two WinXP systems but I
don't want to have to go buy another WinXP disk

"Daave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:466dc766$0$505$(E-Mail Removed)...
> don wrote:
>> I had to reload my WinXP OEM disk onto my laptop today and was
>> surprised that during loading it never asked me to enter its product
>> code - I then preceded to upgrade it with WinXP service 2 and was
>> surprised again when I had no problems.... just wondering why since
>> this was a complete reformat of my hard disk

> This is common.
>
> If you reinstall a "golden master" OEM copy of Windows XP (e.g., from a
> royalty OEM such as Dell), there is no need to enter a product key
> because of an anti-pirating feature called system-locked
> preinstallation.
>
> So if someone else got a hold of your disc, they wouldn't be able to use
> it unless they have the same make, model, and configuration of computer
> (and presumably the same type of XP license...Home or Pro) you have.

Ron Martell

"don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I had to reload my WinXP OEM disk onto my laptop today and was surprised
>that during loading it never asked me to enter its product code - I then
>preceded to upgrade it with WinXP service 2 and was surprised again when I
>had no problems.... just wondering why since this was a complete reformat of
>my hard disk

Pretty much all of the larger OEMs are now using the SLP (BIOS Locked)
procedure with their OEM Windows XP installations. These versions are
self-activating if they are installed on a computer with a motherboard
BIOS from that specific OEM but are not usable on a computer with a
motherboard BIOS from any other source.

This does expedite legitimate reinstalls but it causes serious
complications if it is ever necessary or desirable to replace a
motherboard and one cannot be obtained from the original OEM.

Hope this explains the situation.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 200
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

don

Would I be able to use this disk to install another copy of WINXP on a
virtual disk created by VMWare on this same hard drive?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

"don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Would I be able to use this disk to install another copy of WINXP on a
>virtual disk created by VMWare on this same hard drive?

Never tried it so I can't say for certain, but as I believe that
VMWare emulates a standard set of hardware components rather than the
actual hardware in the machine there may be issues.

And a second install of the same license generally contravenes the
provisions of the license where it says "..install a single copy on a
single computer.." or words to that effect.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 200
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
Syberfix Remote Computer Repair

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

don

Ya, but it is still the same machine and the license is for any Dell
Inspiron 8600

"Ron Martell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Would I be able to use this disk to install another copy of WINXP on a
>>virtual disk created by VMWare on this same hard drive?
>>

> Never tried it so I can't say for certain, but as I believe that
> VMWare emulates a standard set of hardware components rather than the
> actual hardware in the machine there may be issues.
>
> And a second install of the same license generally contravenes the
> provisions of the license where it says "..install a single copy on a
> single computer.." or words to that effect.
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP (1997 - 200
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
> Syberfix Remote Computer Repair
>
> "Anyone who thinks that they are too small to make a difference
> has never been in bed with a mosquito."

Leythos

In article <f4mntv$29i$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Ya, but it is still the same machine and the license is for any Dell
> Inspiron 8600

And if you read the licensing it clearly does not allow for multiple
virtual installations on the same computer.

--

Leythos
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

WhzzKdd

"don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f4l6rc$6qs$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Suppose I used virtual software on my laptop like VMware6, would this
> WinXP OEM disk still install with no activation/product code required? I
> ask this because I would like to practive networking between two WinXP
> systems but I don't want to have to go buy another WinXP disk

It didn't for me - I have MS Virtual PC on my Dell laptop, and the Dell
install disk still needed a code and activation. My presumption there is
that the hardware is masked by the virtual enviroment.