Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Update SP1 before installing SP2?

Update SP1 before installing SP2?

Terry Pinnell

At http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/s...hattoknow.mspx I read
"Before you install SP2, get your version of Windows completely
up-to-date with the latest performance and security updates. Go to the
Microsoft Update, click Express Install, and then install all high
priority updates listed."

Is that absolutely essential please? Because I'm in a sort of Catch 22
situation here.

On my wife's new PC which we ordered without an OS, I've run her old
XP SP1 CD, successfully installing a raw version of XP Home SP1. But
before proceeding with adding her broadband and all the many other
applications she had running on her old PC under XP SP2, I want to get
back to the familiar look of her old desktop etc. To do that I used
the File & Transfer Wizard. But the new PC doesn't recognise the
settings I've copied across, i.e. the wizard won't run on the new PC.
I'm *guessing* this is because it's on SP1 and the settings were saved
on SP2. So I've downloaded the full 266 MB SP2 update EXE (on my own
PC), copied it across to the new PC, and am now hesitating about
running it.

Any advice urgently appreciated please.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Terry Pinnell wrote:
> At http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/s...hattoknow.mspx I read
> "Before you install SP2, get your version of Windows completely
> up-to-date with the latest performance and security updates. Go to the
> Microsoft Update, click Express Install, and then install all high
> priority updates listed."
>
> Is that absolutely essential please? Because I'm in a sort of Catch 22
> situation here.
>
> On my wife's new PC which we ordered without an OS, I've run her old
> XP SP1 CD, successfully installing a raw version of XP Home SP1. But
> before proceeding with adding her broadband and all the many other
> applications she had running on her old PC under XP SP2, I want to get
> back to the familiar look of her old desktop etc. To do that I used
> the File & Transfer Wizard. But the new PC doesn't recognise the
> settings I've copied across, i.e. the wizard won't run on the new PC.
> I'm *guessing* this is because it's on SP1 and the settings were saved
> on SP2. So I've downloaded the full 266 MB SP2 update EXE (on my own
> PC), copied it across to the new PC, and am now hesitating about
> running it.

Run it

Streaming

"Terry Pinnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> At http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/s...hattoknow.mspx I read
> "Before you install SP2, get your version of Windows completely
> up-to-date with the latest performance and security updates. Go to the
> Microsoft Update, click Express Install, and then install all high
> priority updates listed."

Of course it's essential, just relative to the following where you
"want to get back to the familiar look of old desktop" and you
then say "new PC won't recognise the settings" - though no detail?
So it could be anything from graphics drivers, to patches, to simply
you want settings that are only available under SP2 but the PC
has to be patched with all high priority updates before SP2 is
installed. And the MS site guides you on all of that.
And doing as instructed is the safest option as once it is ready
then windows update will auto detect it is and download and
install SP2 to a setup that the scan deems is prepared, rather
than you doing it fingers crossed from a download.

> Is that absolutely essential please? Because I'm in a sort of Catch 22
> situation here.
>
> On my wife's new PC which we ordered without an OS, I've run her old
> XP SP1 CD, successfully installing a raw version of XP Home SP1. But
> before proceeding with adding her broadband and all the many other
> applications she had running on her old PC under XP SP2, I want to get
> back to the familiar look of her old desktop etc. To do that I used
> the File & Transfer Wizard. But the new PC doesn't recognise the
> settings I've copied across, i.e. the wizard won't run on the new PC.
> I'm *guessing* this is because it's on SP1 and the settings were saved
> on SP2. So I've downloaded the full 266 MB SP2 update EXE (on my own
> PC), copied it across to the new PC, and am now hesitating about
> running it.
>
> Any advice urgently appreciated please.
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Streaming wrote:

> Of course it's essential, just relative to the following where you
> "want to get back to the familiar look of old desktop" and you
> then say "new PC won't recognise the settings" - though no detail?
> So it could be anything from graphics drivers, to patches, to simply
> you want settings that are only available under SP2 but the PC
> has to be patched with all high priority updates before SP2 is
> installed. And the MS site guides you on all of that.
> And doing as instructed is the safest option as once it is ready
> then windows update will auto detect it is and download and
> install SP2 to a setup that the scan deems is prepared, rather
> than you doing it fingers crossed from a download.

All service packs are cumlative. No need to **** around with SP1 before
installing SP2.

Steve Wolstenholme

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 13:01:02 +0100, Terry Pinnell
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>So I've downloaded the full 266 MB SP2 update EXE (on my own
>PC), copied it across to the new PC, and am now hesitating about
>running it.
>
>Any advice urgently appreciated please.

I've run SP2 on six different PC's with no problems other that it
takes a long time.

Steve

--
Steve Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software Ltd

http://www.easynn.com

Poprivet

Terry Pinnell wrote:
> At http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/s...hattoknow.mspx I read
> "Before you install SP2, get your version of Windows completely
> up-to-date with the latest performance and security updates. Go to the
> Microsoft Update, click Express Install, and then install all high
> priority updates listed."

Short answer: Just install SP2; forget the rest.

NOT necessary to install all that before installing SP2. SP2 includes ALL
of the SP1 and ALL of the hotfixes since SP1 up to SP2.

AFTER you install SP2, then let the rest of the updates install.

> Is that absolutely essential please? Because I'm in a sort of Catch 22
> situation here.

No, it's not essential. SP2 however is very important, so install SP2 and
THEN get the rest of hte hotfixes.

HTH
Pop`

> On my wife's new PC which we ordered without an OS, I've run her old
> XP SP1 CD, successfully installing a raw version of XP Home SP1. But
> before proceeding with adding her broadband and all the many other
> applications she had running on her old PC under XP SP2, I want to get
> back to the familiar look of her old desktop etc. To do that I used
> the File & Transfer Wizard. But the new PC doesn't recognise the
> settings I've copied across, i.e. the wizard won't run on the new PC.
> I'm *guessing* this is because it's on SP1 and the settings were saved
> on SP2. So I've downloaded the full 266 MB SP2 update EXE (on my own
> PC), copied it across to the new PC, and am now hesitating about
> running it.
>
> Any advice urgently appreciated please.

WhzzKdd

"Terry Pinnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> At http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/s...hattoknow.mspx I read
>
> I used
> the File & Transfer Wizard. But the new PC doesn't recognise the
> settings I've copied across, i.e. the wizard won't run on the new PC.
> I'm *guessing* this is because it's on SP1 and the settings were saved
> on SP2.

I believe you are correct. And it may not be just the SP2, but there is a
later update for FAST that allows compatibility between 32 bit and 64 bit
Windows. If that was installed, you'll have to have it back on the PC before
you can access the data. BUT try the SP2 FAST first before adding that
latest update.

Terry Pinnell

"WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:

>"Terry Pinnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> At http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/s...hattoknow.mspx I read
>>
>> I used
>> the File & Transfer Wizard. But the new PC doesn't recognise the
>> settings I've copied across, i.e. the wizard won't run on the new PC.
>> I'm *guessing* this is because it's on SP1 and the settings were saved
>> on SP2.

>I believe you are correct. And it may not be just the SP2, but there is a
>later update for FAST that allows compatibility between 32 bit and 64 bit
>Windows. If that was installed, you'll have to have it back on the PC before
>you can access the data. BUT try the SP2 FAST first before adding that
>latest update.

Thanks for the various helpful follow-ups.

WhzzKdd: as you may have seen from my reply just now to Alias, I had
no joy with FAST (thanks for the acronym!) and am keen to get to the
bottom of why. Not sure I grasp this 32/64 distinction. Didn't even
know there *was* a '64 bit Windows'. When would I encounter that, or
want it? In this case, I used her 4-year old XP Home CD, then used the
266 MB SP2 WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe (which I downloaded on my
own PC).

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Terry Pinnell

Terry Pinnell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
>
>>"Terry Pinnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> At http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/s...hattoknow.mspx I read
>>>
>>> I used
>>> the File & Transfer Wizard. But the new PC doesn't recognise the
>>> settings I've copied across, i.e. the wizard won't run on the new PC.
>>> I'm *guessing* this is because it's on SP1 and the settings were saved
>>> on SP2.

>>I believe you are correct. And it may not be just the SP2, but there is a
>>later update for FAST that allows compatibility between 32 bit and 64 bit
>>Windows. If that was installed, you'll have to have it back on the PC before
>>you can access the data. BUT try the SP2 FAST first before adding that
>>latest update.

>Thanks for the various helpful follow-ups.
>
>WhzzKdd: as you may have seen from my reply just now to Alias, I had
>no joy with FAST (thanks for the acronym!) and am keen to get to the
>bottom of why. Not sure I grasp this 32/64 distinction. Didn't even
>know there *was* a '64 bit Windows'. When would I encounter that, or
>want it? In this case, I used her 4-year old XP Home CD, then used the
>266 MB SP2 WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe (which I downloaded on my
>own PC).

For clarification, guess I should paste this here from my cross-post:
---------
Alias <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Streaming wrote:
>> "Terry Pinnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> At http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/s...hattoknow.mspx I read
>>> "Before you install SP2, get your version of Windows completely
>>> up-to-date with the latest performance and security updates.

>False. Install the SP2 first and then get the updates. I've done it on
>dozens of computers with outstanding results. Even though this is from
>an MS site, SP2 includes all the updates from the release of SP1 to the
>release of SP2 so I don't understand their guidance.
>

> Go to the
>>> Microsoft Update, click Express Install, and then install all high
>>> priority updates listed."

>You should *never* use Express Install unless you want WGA/N, IE7 and
>other flawed crap.
>
>Alias

Thanks, that proved sound advice. A little after posting I came across
a non-MS thread that effectively said the same, i.e. SP2 already
includes all SP1 updates. So I'm glad I ignored the MS article!

I also agree entirely with you about Custom v Express. Although in
this instance the only exception we made was to exclude IE7. (Last
time WU inadvertently installed it on her PC, it gave a variety of
problems, and no apparent benefits over IE6.)

So all that SP2 upgrade part of the exercise went OK. But it didn't
fix the issue that I mentioned at the outset. When run on the new PC
the Wizard refused to recognise the compressed files it had made on
the old PC. (Something like "Location contains no valid files...").

I tried this using both an external HD and a 1 GB memory stick. I
tried Files & Settings and then just on the Settings Only option. No
joy with any of these.

I'm pressing on manually now (just cracked the Outlook Express bit,
for example), but for future reference and academic interest can
anyone suggest why this failed please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Ron Martell

Terry Pinnell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>At http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/s...hattoknow.mspx I read
>"Before you install SP2, get your version of Windows completely
>up-to-date with the latest performance and security updates. Go to the
>Microsoft Update, click Express Install, and then install all high
>priority updates listed."

That paragraph contradicts everything that I have ever been told about
Service Pack 2 by Microsoft, and I would suggest that you disregard
it.

>Is that absolutely essential please? Because I'm in a sort of Catch 22
>situation here.
>
>On my wife's new PC which we ordered without an OS, I've run her old
>XP SP1 CD, successfully installing a raw version of XP Home SP1. But
>before proceeding with adding her broadband and all the many other
>applications she had running on her old PC under XP SP2, I want to get
>back to the familiar look of her old desktop etc. To do that I used
>the File & Transfer Wizard. But the new PC doesn't recognise the
>settings I've copied across, i.e. the wizard won't run on the new PC.
>I'm *guessing* this is because it's on SP1 and the settings were saved
>on SP2. So I've downloaded the full 266 MB SP2 update EXE (on my own
>PC), copied it across to the new PC, and am now hesitating about
>running it.
>
>Any advice urgently appreciated please.

If you have the complete SP2 download then I suggest you just install
that. SP2 is a complete package and includes all critical updates
from the original release of Windows XP up to the date of SP2.

Of course once you have installed SP2 then you still need to go to
Windows update because there are a tremendous number of updates that
are post-SP2 which you also need to get installed.

And before you install SP2 you might want to look at the following web
site:
Service Pack Installation Checklist

Good luck
Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada