Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Partitioning

Partitioning

Andy Petro

What are the advantages of partitioning a C drive.

WhzzKdd

"Andy Petro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:466c98da$0$16378$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> What are the advantages of partitioning a C drive.

My favorite reason: Data can be stored separately from OS and apps. If the
system crashes, the data doesn't go bye-bye when the OS is reinstalled.

There are some difficulties in doing that with some programs which have
their data stored in places that I don't like - Outlook Express data and
Windows Address Book information come immediately to mind. But that can be
fixed too.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Andy Petro wrote:
> What are the advantages of partitioning a C drive.

One of the advantages is, you can have the hard drive work if you
partition it. If you don't, it no workee. I know it's kind of confusing,
but you MUST partition a hard drive for it to work, even if it's only
one partition. Multiple partitions are for different reasons.
Personally, I never use more than one, but that's for my own reasons.

WhzzKdd

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Andy Petro wrote:
>> What are the advantages of partitioning a C drive.

> One of the advantages is, you can have the hard drive work if you
> partition it. If you don't, it no workee. I know it's kind of confusing,
> but you MUST partition a hard drive for it to work, even if it's only one
> partition. Multiple partitions are for different reasons. Personally, I
> never use more than one, but that's for my own reasons.

LOL! You have an excellent point. Kinda like formatting. If you don't do it,
it don't work so good.

richard

On Jun 10, 8:35 pm, Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Andy Petro wrote:
> > What are the advantages of partitioning a C drive.

> One of the advantages is, you can have the hard drive work if you
> partition it. If you don't, it no workee. I know it's kind of confusing,
> but you MUST partition a hard drive for it to work, even if it's only
> one partition. Multiple partitions are for different reasons.
> Personally, I never use more than one, but that's for my own reasons.

Good. I hope one of these days you have a major crash and lose all of
your hard work forever.
Years ago when a gigabyte hard drive was only the drawing board, I was
learning how to partition and do so with every drive I get.
Nothing but the OS goes on the C:drive except for some basic programs
that won't let you put it anywhere else.
Even then, I put the source program on another partition so I'll have
it later if needed.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

richard wrote:
> On Jun 10, 8:35 pm, Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Andy Petro wrote:
>>
>>>What are the advantages of partitioning a C drive.

>>One of the advantages is, you can have the hard drive work if you
>>partition it. If you don't, it no workee. I know it's kind of confusing,
>>but you MUST partition a hard drive for it to work, even if it's only
>>one partition. Multiple partitions are for different reasons.
>>Personally, I never use more than one, but that's for my own reasons.

> Good. I hope one of these days you have a major crash and lose all of
> your hard work forever.
> Years ago when a gigabyte hard drive was only the drawing board, I was
> learning how to partition and do so with every drive I get.
> Nothing but the OS goes on the C:drive except for some basic programs
> that won't let you put it anywhere else.
> Even then, I put the source program on another partition so I'll have
> it later if needed.

Don't be so moody, Dicky boy. If you'll look back over the years, you'll
notice I wasn't one of the ones piling onto you. You seem to bring it on
yourself, openly inviting others to flame your ass all to hell. I've
done okay with the way I partition for the last couple of decades or so,
I probably won't change in the next few days.

WhzzKdd

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> richard wrote:

>>>One of the advantages is, you can have the hard drive work if you
>>>partition it. If you don't, it no workee. I know it's kind of confusing,
>>>but you MUST partition a hard drive for it to work, even if it's only
>>>one partition. Multiple partitions are for different reasons.
>>>Personally, I never use more than one, but that's for my own reasons.

>> Good. I hope one of these days you have a major crash and lose all of
>> your hard work forever.
>> Years ago when a gigabyte hard drive was only the drawing board, I was
>> learning how to partition and do so with every drive I get.
>> Nothing but the OS goes on the C:drive except for some basic programs
>> that won't let you put it anywhere else.
>> Even then, I put the source program on another partition so I'll have
>> it later if needed.

> Don't be so moody, Dicky boy. If you'll look back over the years, you'll
> notice I wasn't one of the ones piling onto you. You seem to bring it on
> yourself, openly inviting others to flame your ass all to hell. I've done
> okay with the way I partition for the last couple of decades or so, I
> probably won't change in the next few days.

LOL! He definately goes looking for trouble...

Dan C

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 21:28:06 -0400, Andy Petro wrote:

> What are the advantages of partitioning a C drive.

I don't know! What's a "C drive"???

WhzzKdd

"Dan C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 21:28:06 -0400, Andy Petro wrote:
>
>> What are the advantages of partitioning a C drive.

> I don't know! What's a "C drive"???

A poorly executed swing with a 9 iron?

Dan C

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 11:29:38 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:

>>> What are the advantages of partitioning a C drive.

>> I don't know! What's a "C drive"???

> A poorly executed swing with a 9 iron?

No. You don't "drive" with a 9 iron.

Application "partitioning" BobRoyAce ASP .Net 2 01-24-2005 09:24 PM
Re: partitioning Sartan Dragonbane MCSE 0 04-30-2004 05:29 AM
Re: partitioning Kendal Emery MCSE 2 04-29-2004 09:32 PM
Re: partitioning billyw MCSE 9 04-29-2004 08:29 PM
partitioning no one MCSE 0 04-29-2004 07:02 PM

Advertisments