Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Lost Photos

Lost Photos

wally

I have been saving all my digital pictures to two secondary hard drives on
two seperate computers. I also had them on my Laptop. A few weeks ago I
deleted the files on my wireless laptop to free some sapce knowing that I
had them backed up in two more locations.

Today I went to access my folders with the photo files and they arent in
either location. Searched both computers and drives, nothing! No sign they
ever existed.

I have no idea how these files disappeared. We are so upset at losing photos
from three years and three memorable vacations.Will never be able to re
produce those memories!

Does anyone know if there is any chance of recovering these files? I have
read about recovering files but I dont want to spend a fortune on something
that may not suceed.

Anyone had experiences such as this?

Will keep my fingers crossed

TIA
Steve

Robert Coe

:
: Today I went to access my folders with the photo files and they arent in
: either location. Searched both computers and drives, nothing! No sign they
: ever existed.
:
: I have no idea how these files disappeared. We are so upset at losing photos
: from three years and three memorable vacations.Will never be able to re
: produce those memories!
:
:
: Does anyone know if there is any chance of recovering these files? I have
: read about recovering files but I dont want to spend a fortune on something
: that may not suceed.
:
:
: Anyone had experiences such as this?
:
: Will keep my fingers crossed

Was the replication based on the Windows "offline files" feature? If so, and
you delete a file from one computer, it will get deleted from the other
computer the next time you synchronize. If that's what happened, whether you
can get any of the images back may depend on what you've done on the computers
since. Deleting a file in Windows doesn't usually erase it; it just makes its
space available for reuse. If it hasn't been reused, there are utilities that
can sometimes recover the files. You should be able to get information about
them by Googling.

From now on, copy your files to a CD or DVD from time to time, whatever else
you do. Nobody knows how long a DVD will last, but their short-term
reliability is excellent. If you keep making copies of your valuable files, a
recent DVD can bail you out if the worst happens. And if you can arrange it,
put the primary copies of your files on a server that gets backed up
regularly, not on a laptop or local workstation.

Bob

Colin_D

wally wrote:
> I have been saving all my digital pictures to two secondary hard drives on
> two seperate computers. I also had them on my Laptop. A few weeks ago I
> deleted the files on my wireless laptop to free some sapce knowing that I
> had them backed up in two more locations.
>
> Today I went to access my folders with the photo files and they arent in
> either location. Searched both computers and drives, nothing! No sign they
> ever existed.
>
> I have no idea how these files disappeared. We are so upset at losing photos
> from three years and three memorable vacations.Will never be able to re
> produce those memories!
>

> Does anyone know if there is any chance of recovering these files? I have
> read about recovering files but I dont want to spend a fortune on something
> that may not suceed.
>

> Anyone had experiences such as this?
>
> Will keep my fingers crossed
>
> TIA
> Steve

Have a look in your Recycle bin. If they're in there you can restore
them. If not, and you haven't written to the drives since they
vanished, you may be able to recover them with a utility such as PC
Inspector File Recovery (not Smart Recovery), free off the net.

Colin D.