Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Burning a recovery partition

Burning a recovery partition

JF

I have a recovery partition on my hd. For some reason the F10 key (as listed
on manufacturers website) doesn't activate it when booting.

I have installed partition magic 8 which can let me see which files are on
them but not open them or move them to my C: drive for burning. Are there
any other progs out there that will let me move these files for burning?

Cheers

WhzzKdd

"JF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hj%ai.26446$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a recovery partition on my hd. For some reason the F10 key (as
>listed on manufacturers website) doesn't activate it when booting.
>
> I have installed partition magic 8 which can let me see which files are on
> them but not open them or move them to my C: drive for burning. Are there
> any other progs out there that will let me move these files for burning?
>
> Cheers

Why? You probably can't use what's on it anyway. Manufacturers who wish you
to backup the recovery software/data on the PC usually have an application
in Windows that's designed specifically to do that. Or they shipped the
discs you need with the PC - if you got discs, it's the same stuff that's on
the partition.

JF

news:%o%ai.40$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "JF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hj%ai.26446$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a recovery partition on my hd. For some reason the F10 key (as
>>listed on manufacturers website) doesn't activate it when booting.
>>
>> I have installed partition magic 8 which can let me see which files are
>> on them but not open them or move them to my C: drive for burning. Are
>> there any other progs out there that will let me move these files for
>> burning?
>>
>> Cheers
>>

> Why? You probably can't use what's on it anyway. Manufacturers who wish
> you to backup the recovery software/data on the PC usually have an
> application in Windows that's designed specifically to do that. Or they
> shipped the discs you need with the PC - if you got discs, it's the same
> stuff that's on the partition.

Didn't get discs with it, I didn't even know there was a recovery partition
until after it had crashed and I used a version of windows I got bundled
with another pc.

WhzzKdd

"JF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Ix%ai.10448$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
> news:%o%ai.40$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "JF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:hj%ai.26446$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have a recovery partition on my hd. For some reason the F10 key (as
>>>listed on manufacturers website) doesn't activate it when booting.
>>>
>>> I have installed partition magic 8 which can let me see which files are
>>> on them but not open them or move them to my C: drive for burning. Are
>>> there any other progs out there that will let me move these files for
>>> burning?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>

>> Why? You probably can't use what's on it anyway. Manufacturers who wish
>> you to backup the recovery software/data on the PC usually have an
>> application in Windows that's designed specifically to do that. Or they
>> shipped the discs you need with the PC - if you got discs, it's the same
>> stuff that's on the partition.
>>

> Didn't get discs with it, I didn't even know there was a recovery
> partition until after it had crashed and I used a version of windows I got
> bundled with another pc.

Well, perhaps it would have been prudent to read the documentation that
originally came with the PC. Those recovery partitions typically require
custom software to access them and reinstall your system to it's original
state. Just burning them off to a disc is usually a useless endeavor.

BTW, if your PC had the correct software to use that partition, it probably
went bye-bye when you reinstalled the system in a manner not planned upon by
the manufacturer. OR the software is part of a recovery routine embedded in
the system's hardware - accessed through a key press sequence during boot
much like accessing BIOS settings. Some manufacturers use that method for
diagnostics as well.

JF

news:aL%ai.44$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "JF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Ix%ai.10448$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
>> news:%o%ai.40$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "JF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:hj%ai.26446$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Why? You probably can't use what's on it anyway. Manufacturers who wish
>>> you to backup the recovery software/data on the PC usually have an
>>> application in Windows that's designed specifically to do that. Or they
>>> shipped the discs you need with the PC - if you got discs, it's the same
>>> stuff that's on the partition.
>>>

>> Didn't get discs with it, I didn't even know there was a recovery
>> partition until after it had crashed and I used a version of windows I
>> got bundled with another pc.
>>

> Well, perhaps it would have been prudent to read the documentation that
> originally came with the PC.

It was a computer I bought from a supermarket for my wife to use to do her
uni work on. The only docs that came with it were on how to set it up.

> BTW, if your PC had the correct software to use that partition, it
> probably went bye-bye when you reinstalled the system in a manner not
> planned upon by the manufacturer. OR the software is part of a recovery
> routine embedded in the system's hardware - accessed through a key press
> sequence during boot much like accessing BIOS settings. Some manufacturers
> use that method for diagnostics as well.

This seems to be the case

Thanks for your help anyway

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"JF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a recovery partition on my hd. For some reason the F10 key (as listed
>on manufacturers website) doesn't activate it when booting.
>
>I have installed partition magic 8 which can let me see which files are on
>them but not open them or move them to my C: drive for burning. Are there
>any other progs out there that will let me move these files for burning?
>
>Cheers

Got a warning.bmp in that recovery partition; that says protected by
PC Angel?

NTFS is keeping you from accessing the data, either use partition
magic to go NTFS > Fat32 (like I did) or use another OS to get around
NFTS.
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
http://www.knoppix.org/

--