Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Modify Permission

Modify Permission

Marin Kostov

Modify Permission

Hi! I am studying for the 70-290 exam. I am using MS Press Readiness Review
Suite, among with several other sources.

Yesterday when scrolling through the questions of the MeasureUpís practice
tests, I found something very, very confusing.

Situation:

We have for example 1 folder. The folder has 2 subfolders. I am a member of
the Gamers group. The group has Modify NTFS permission, assigned to the
parent folder. Can I delete a file in the subfolder? The explanation states,
that I canít, since the the Modify permission does not include the Delete
Subfolders and Files permission.

Interesting! But he Modify Permission DOES include the Delete permission.
The Delete Subfolders and Files is included only in the Full Control
permission.

Next, when reading the book, I found a scenario, involving the Modify
Permission. And the answer was:

The NTFS Modify permission allows Managers to delete files.

So letís take a look at Help and Support center:

Modify Permission consists of:

Traverse Folder/Execute File

List Folder/Read Data

Read Attributes

Read Extended Attributes

Create Files/Write Data

Create Folders/Append Data

Write Attributes

Write Extended Attributes

Read Permissions

And

Delete Subfolders and Files - Allows or denies deleting subfolders and
files, even if the Delete permission has not been granted on the subfolder
or file. (Applies to folders.)

Delete - Allows or denies deleting the file or folder. If you do not have
Delete permission on a file or folder, you can still delete it if you have
been granted Delete Subfolders and Files on the parent folder.

So please if someone could explain what is wrong and what is right.

Kurt

Why not set it up and give it a try?

....kurt

news:(E-Mail Removed)...