Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Does this sound like a good camera/camcorder

Does this sound like a good camera/camcorder

Jack Ruby

(I don't know much about this stuff, but with the description
provided, does this sound like a good camera/camcorder? The picture is
here: http://www.hammacher.com/publish/z74123.asp

The Shirtpocket Camcorder.

This is the compact digital camcorder that is slightly larger than a
deck of playing cards, yet its screen opens and pivots up to 270 to
provide the same viewing screen used in larger, bulkier camcorders.
The 5 megapixel camcorder can take video and pictures, and can capture
up to two hours of 720 x 480 resolution video footage at 30 fps, and
its 2 1/2" LTPS LCD color screen can display still images up to 4032 x
3024 resolution using its built-in image enhancement firmware. Motion
stabilization technology ensures image stability while shooting
videos, and the camcorder has 8X digital zoom capability. It has 32 MB
of built-in memory; an SD card slot supports up to 1 GB of additional
memory (card not included). It has a USB port that allows you to
download video or pictures to a computer. A rechargeable Li-Ion
battery provides two hours of operation for high-resolution video
capture; the battery requires four hours to fully recharge. Includes
remote control. 4 3/4" H x 1" W x 2 1/2" D. (4 3/4 oz.)

Item 74123 ................... $299.95
Available for Immediate Shipment.

Paul Heslop

Jack Ruby wrote:

> (I don't know much about this stuff, but with the description
> provided, does this sound like a good camera/camcorder? The picture is
> here: http:/
>
> The Shirtpocket Camcorder.

This is the second time someone has posted about this thing in the
last couple of days. It seems to me like the thing is a toy, neither
one thing nor the other and usually the manufacturer of such kit is
one of those companies that churn out all sorts of cheap goods. I
don't see any note of the maker of the camera, so it would be hard to
find out just what people really think about it.

Be aware that digital zoom is not the same as optical zoom. Here's a
little page with an explanation of the two

http://tinyurl.com/2a8d98

--
Paul (Please dont take a picture)
Stop and Look

ASAAR

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 19:11:17 GMT, Paul Heslop wrote:

> This is the second time someone has posted about this thing in the
> last couple of days. It seems to me like the thing is a toy, neither
> one thing nor the other and usually the manufacturer of such kit is
> one of those companies that churn out all sorts of cheap goods. I
> don't see any note of the maker of the camera, so it would be hard to
> find out just what people really think about it.

The actual page describing it is here :

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/741...omo=new_items#

The ad copy is riddled with either errors or questionable
statements. It says that the thing is a 5mp camcorder, but its
720x480 video resolution is closer to 0.5mp. The much higher
resolution 1080i is only 2mp. It doesn't state the LCD screen's
resolution, but assuming that it's one of the so-called high res.
LCDs that claim 200k+ pixels (actually about 70k tricolor pixels),
it's not very likely to be adequate to display the still images that
are supposedly 4032x3024, or 12mp. I've yet to see a digital
camcorder that has a second sensor used just for still images, and a
0.5mp video sensor might be able to fake a high resolution 12mp
still image, but it's going to be little better than an image
created by a low res cell phone camera. The ad also says:

> It has 32 MB of built-in memory; an SD card slot supports
> up to 1 GB of additional memory (card not included).

Not 2GB, let alone the higher capacities that SDHC cards allow?
There's no indication that video is stored on anything but the SD
card, and if so, that must be some amazingly high compression that
allows up to 2 hours of video per GB. Or maybe that's just the
battery life, and you need to replace the 1GB SD cards every 15
minutes.

There's also no indication that the Li-Ion battery can be replaced
by a fresh one when it runs down, which is pretty limiting, since
although it claims to be able to record up to two hours per charge,
it'll be out of service for the next four hours, which is how long
it takes to recharge its battery. This videocam really does appear
to be an overpriced toy. Once again, Jack Ruby gets shot down.

Jack Ruby

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 15:47:48 -0400, ASAAR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 19:11:17 GMT, Paul Heslop wrote:
>
>> This is the second time someone has posted about this thing in the
>> last couple of days. It seems to me like the thing is a toy, neither
>> one thing nor the other and usually the manufacturer of such kit is
>> one of those companies that churn out all sorts of cheap goods. I
>> don't see any note of the maker of the camera, so it would be hard to
>> find out just what people really think about it.

> The actual page describing it is here :
>
> http://www.hammacher.com/publish/741...omo=new_items#
>
> The ad copy is riddled with either errors or questionable
>statements. It says that the thing is a 5mp camcorder, but its
>720x480 video resolution is closer to 0.5mp. The much higher
>resolution 1080i is only 2mp. It doesn't state the LCD screen's
>resolution, but assuming that it's one of the so-called high res.
>LCDs that claim 200k+ pixels (actually about 70k tricolor pixels),
>it's not very likely to be adequate to display the still images that
>are supposedly 4032x3024, or 12mp. I've yet to see a digital
>camcorder that has a second sensor used just for still images, and a
>0.5mp video sensor might be able to fake a high resolution 12mp
>still image, but it's going to be little better than an image
>created by a low res cell phone camera. The ad also says:
>
>> It has 32 MB of built-in memory; an SD card slot supports
>> up to 1 GB of additional memory (card not included).

> Not 2GB, let alone the higher capacities that SDHC cards allow?
>There's no indication that video is stored on anything but the SD
>card, and if so, that must be some amazingly high compression that
>allows up to 2 hours of video per GB. Or maybe that's just the
>battery life, and you need to replace the 1GB SD cards every 15
>minutes.
>
> There's also no indication that the Li-Ion battery can be replaced
>by a fresh one when it runs down, which is pretty limiting, since
>although it claims to be able to record up to two hours per charge,
>it'll be out of service for the next four hours, which is how long
>it takes to recharge its battery. This videocam really does appear
>to be an overpriced toy. Once again, Jack Ruby gets shot down.

I appreciate your candor. Could you possibly recommend something that
would be small, about the same size and around $300 as I cannot afford
much more at this point?

Thanks,
Jack

Paul Heslop

ASAAR wrote:

This videocam really does appear
> to be an overpriced toy. Once again, Jack Ruby gets shot down.

:O) Pretty much the way I saw it, though i bow to your superior
technical knowledge. For sheer tackiness I think I'd go for this one

http://tinyurl.com/2c8bcv

--

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 17:02:28 -0400, Jack Ruby wrote:

> I appreciate your candor. Could you possibly recommend something that
> would be small, about the same size and around $300 as I cannot afford
> much more at this point?

There are others here far more knowledgeable about videocams, such
as "(E-Mail Removed) (Dave Martindale)", Paul Rubin, David Chien and
David Ruether, who posted this three days ago :

> Copies of my 16,000+ photo-video-audio Usenet NG
> posts from 1995 until the present are now up on my
> website at -
> -- www.donferrario.com/ruether/articles.html
> in three sections, at -
> -- http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/t..._contents.html
> (slow-loading with dial-up service)
> -- http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/t...-contents2.htm
> -- www.donferrario.com/ruether/MORE-POSTS.htm
> Additional posts will be added occasionally in the future
> as they collect...

I also posted just the other day B&H's link to 24 videocams using
flash RAM for storage, most of which sell for between $300 and $800.
B&H is a good place to browse videocams because they sell *many*
more models, and provide a lot of information about the in the
"Features" and "Specifications" tabs. You can sort them by price,
which would make it easy to evaluate the nearly 40 videocams that
sell for $300 or less, while not being tempted by the even greater
number of videocams and kits that range from $1000 to over $7000.
Here are two of B&H's links :

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/3results..._SD%2FMMC+Card

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=&cltp=&clsgr=

If you have problems due to the length of these links, just go to
bhphotovideo.com and navigate your way to the videocams.

Paul Heslop

ASAAR wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 17:02:28 -0400, Jack Ruby wrote:
>
> > I appreciate your candor. Could you possibly recommend something that
> > would be small, about the same size and around $300 as I cannot afford
> > much more at this point?

> There are others here far more knowledgeable about videocams, such
> as "(E-Mail Removed) (Dave Martindale)", Paul Rubin, David Chien and
> David Ruether, who posted this three days ago :

How come you can see Jack's reply but I can't?

--

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 02:55:12 GMT, Paul Heslop wrote:

> :O) Pretty much the way I saw it, though i bow to your superior
> technical knowledge. For sheer tackiness I think I'd go for this one
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2c8bcv

I think I'd pass on that one even though it uses two AA batteries.
At least that's my story for the newsgroup. If I saw one in
Rite-Aid for that price though, I might not be able to resist the
impulse purchase urge.

ASAAR

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 03:14:07 GMT, Paul Heslop wrote:

> How come you can see Jack's reply but I can't?

Can't say for sure. There are some posters that I'm never able to
download that don't seem to be a problem for others. Jack posts
using supernews, but so do I, although indirectly, through APN.
Have you enabled any newsgroup filtering? I've occasionally found
old filters trapping more than what was originally intended.

Paul Heslop

ASAAR wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 02:55:12 GMT, Paul Heslop wrote:
>
> > :O) Pretty much the way I saw it, though i bow to your superior
> > technical knowledge. For sheer tackiness I think I'd go for this one
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/2c8bcv

> I think I'd pass on that one even though it uses two AA batteries.
> At least that's my story for the newsgroup. If I saw one in
> Rite-Aid for that price though, I might not be able to resist the
> impulse purchase urge.

:O))