Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Security question

Wireless Security question

Jefferis NoSpamme

My daughter has a roommate and was told by her that she cannot have wireless
because of security concerns:

> Joan has a cable modem, so Josh bought me a wireless router to replace her
> standard one so that I could have access to the internet. Joan left me a
> note (before she went on her cruise) that she couldnt have wireless b/c she
> works from home sometimes and for security purposes. But, she works on a lap
> top that doesnt have wireless installed. Now doesnt it work that if you dont
> have wireless then you are just connected through the router to the cable
> modem. Dont you actually have to have wireless capabilities or is it that
> b/c the router is sending off wireless signals that it makes the whole
> network insecure?

There would be two machines, my daughter's wireless laptop and her
roommate's ethernet connected laptop - both to a wireless router to cable
modem. Question is, because of wireless signal, can the ethernet laptop be
compromised?

I know you can get into a wireless router but if security is turned on can
you breach the wireless wall and get over to the other computer via the
ethernet on the router hub

Thanks
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jefferis Peterson, Pres.
Web Design and Marketing
http://www.PetersonSales.com

peter

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101379.asp
The article is netgear related but it does explain how to setup security on your
wireless/wired router so that only you have access.Or in your daughters case so
that only her and her roommates computer has access to the router and its
connections.
peter
"Jefferis NoSpamme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BDDDDE8E.B12E%(E-Mail Removed)...
> My daughter has a roommate and was told by her that she cannot have wireless
> because of security concerns:
>

>> Joan has a cable modem, so Josh bought me a wireless router to replace her
>> standard one so that I could have access to the internet. Joan left me a
>> note (before she went on her cruise) that she couldnt have wireless b/c she
>> works from home sometimes and for security purposes. But, she works on a lap
>> top that doesnt have wireless installed. Now doesnt it work that if you dont
>> have wireless then you are just connected through the router to the cable
>> modem. Dont you actually have to have wireless capabilities or is it that
>> b/c the router is sending off wireless signals that it makes the whole
>> network insecure?

> There would be two machines, my daughter's wireless laptop and her
> roommate's ethernet connected laptop - both to a wireless router to cable
> modem. Question is, because of wireless signal, can the ethernet laptop be
> compromised?
>
> I know you can get into a wireless router but if security is turned on can
> you breach the wireless wall and get over to the other computer via the
> ethernet on the router hub
>

> Thanks
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Jefferis Peterson, Pres.
> Web Design and Marketing
> http://www.PetersonSales.com

Jack

Hi

Quote: "I know you can get into a wireless router but if security is turned
on can
you breach the wireless wall and get over to the other computer via the
Ethernet on the router hub".

If the Wireless security is bridged, Yes it is possible (depending on how
the sharing between the two computers are configured)

However millions of people use Wireless. With right setting and some
knowledge and care it is Not such a "Terrible Problem".

May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Jefferis NoSpamme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BDDDDE8E.B12E%(E-Mail Removed)...
> My daughter has a roommate and was told by her that she cannot have

wireless
> because of security concerns:
>

> > Joan has a cable modem, so Josh bought me a wireless router to replace

her
> > standard one so that I could have access to the internet. Joan left me a
> > note (before she went on her cruise) that she couldnt have wireless b/c

she
> > works from home sometimes and for security purposes. But, she works on a

lap
> > top that doesnt have wireless installed. Now doesnt it work that if you

dont
> > have wireless then you are just connected through the router to the

cable
> > modem. Dont you actually have to have wireless capabilities or is it

that
> > b/c the router is sending off wireless signals that it makes the whole
> > network insecure?

> There would be two machines, my daughter's wireless laptop and her
> roommate's ethernet connected laptop - both to a wireless router to cable
> modem. Question is, because of wireless signal, can the ethernet laptop be
> compromised?
>
> I know you can get into a wireless router but if security is turned on can
> you breach the wireless wall and get over to the other computer via the
> ethernet on the router hub
>

> Thanks
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Jefferis Peterson, Pres.
> Web Design and Marketing
> http://www.PetersonSales.com

Jefferis NoSpamme

Thanks guys!
Jeff

On 12/9/04 7:11 PM, in article 1R5ud.37885$6f6.30821@edtnps89, "peter"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101379.asp
> The article is netgear related but it does explain how to setup security on
> your
> wireless/wired router so that only you have access.Or in your daughters case
> so

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jefferis Peterson, Pres.
Web Design and Marketing
http://www.PetersonSales.com

Couple 'o thoughts:

Perhaps there's more to Joan's concerns than the OP is aware. "She works
from home". Is there some requirement with her employer that precludes a
wireless environment? Who's paying for the internet connection? Why can't
the daughter use a wired connection?

No offense to the parties involved, but the nature of the question seems to
demonstrate a lack of security savvy. Why open up that can of worms if it's
not necessary? Particularly if it involves someone's livelihood.

Pete

"Jefferis NoSpamme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BDDE9A6F.B5C5%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks guys!
> Jeff
>

> On 12/9/04 7:11 PM, in article 1R5ud.37885$6f6.30821@edtnps89, "peter"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101379.asp
> > The article is netgear related but it does explain how to setup security

on
> > your
> > wireless/wired router so that only you have access.Or in your daughters

case
> > so

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Jefferis Peterson, Pres.
> Web Design and Marketing
> http://www.PetersonSales.com

Jefferis NoSpamme

My daughter's roommate has the cable connection in her room, so the router
would have to go there. I don't know about the security requirement from the
employer, so that question is being asked. The apartment is rented so they
just can't knock holes in the wall to run Ethernet cable.
The rest is up to my daughter
I provided her with the solutions and security options. You are right, my
daughter's boyfriend can take care of the setup, but the problem may be the
roommate's lack of savvy: "I don't understand it at all so we'd better not
do it."
They both pay for the cable for TV. My daughter has dial up now, so I think
she'd pay for the cable modem too 50/50 if allowed to use it.
Jeff