Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > HELP-Can't Connect

HELP-Can't Connect

=?Utf-8?B?NWh1bHNlcw==?=

I am trying to connect to the internet with a wireless pci card in my laptop
(win xp Pro). Have the icon in the right bottom toolbar which says I am
connected, but when I click on the Internet Explore icon, it cannot find the
server. What is happening here? I already went to Ezlan.net...didn't help
at all.

TIA

Lem

5hulses wrote:
> I am trying to connect to the internet with a wireless pci card in my laptop
> (win xp Pro). Have the icon in the right bottom toolbar which says I am
> connected, but when I click on the Internet Explore icon, it cannot find the
> server. What is happening here? I already went to Ezlan.net...didn't help
> at all.
>
> TIA

Windows' wireless network messages are quite misleading. You are
probably NOT connected because of one or more security measures
(encryption password, MAC address filter, etc.) or you are connected to
someone else's network that is not connected to the Internet.

Are you attempting to connect to your own network? If so, try
temporarily disabling all wireless security on your router and then try
connecting. If that works, re-enable encryption on your router and then
on your laptop.

If you are attempting to connect to someone else's network, ask them for
assistance.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

=?Utf-8?B?NWh1bHNlcw==?=

Mine is the only one that I can connect to.. I've already tried to disable &
then reable my connection, but that seems not to work either. Any other
suggestions?

"Lem" wrote:

> 5hulses wrote:
> > I am trying to connect to the internet with a wireless pci card in my laptop
> > (win xp Pro). Have the icon in the right bottom toolbar which says I am
> > connected, but when I click on the Internet Explore icon, it cannot find the
> > server. What is happening here? I already went to Ezlan.net...didn't help
> > at all.
> >
> > TIA

> Windows' wireless network messages are quite misleading. You are
> probably NOT connected because of one or more security measures
> (encryption password, MAC address filter, etc.) or you are connected to
> someone else's network that is not connected to the Internet.
>
> Are you attempting to connect to your own network? If so, try
> temporarily disabling all wireless security on your router and then try
> connecting. If that works, re-enable encryption on your router and then
> on your laptop.
>
> If you are attempting to connect to someone else's network, ask them for
> assistance.
>
> --
> Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

Lem

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you've "tried to disable &
then reable my connection." What steps did you take to do this?

What I meant was that you should go into your router's configuration
utility and disable the security settings (encryption, MAC filter, etc)
there.

Have you ever been able to connect to your wireless network from this
laptop? If so, what happened just before you stopped being able to do so?

5hulses wrote:
> Mine is the only one that I can connect to.. I've already tried to disable &
> then reable my connection, but that seems not to work either. Any other
> suggestions?
>
> "Lem" wrote:
>
>> 5hulses wrote:
>>> I am trying to connect to the internet with a wireless pci card in my laptop
>>> (win xp Pro). Have the icon in the right bottom toolbar which says I am
>>> connected, but when I click on the Internet Explore icon, it cannot find the
>>> server. What is happening here? I already went to Ezlan.net...didn't help
>>> at all.
>>>
>>> TIA

>> Windows' wireless network messages are quite misleading. You are
>> probably NOT connected because of one or more security measures
>> (encryption password, MAC address filter, etc.) or you are connected to
>> someone else's network that is not connected to the Internet.
>>
>> Are you attempting to connect to your own network? If so, try
>> temporarily disabling all wireless security on your router and then try
>> connecting. If that works, re-enable encryption on your router and then
>> on your laptop.
>>
>> If you are attempting to connect to someone else's network, ask them for
>> assistance.
>>
>> --
>> Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking
>>
>> To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.

Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

=?Utf-8?B?NWh1bHNlcw==?=

Lem,

It did work with no problems 2 months ago..have't used the laptop since
then....what I mean was that I tried to repair the connection, but it still
says I'm connected..haven't looked at my router yet though.

"Lem" wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you've "tried to disable &
> then reable my connection." What steps did you take to do this?
>
> What I meant was that you should go into your router's configuration
> utility and disable the security settings (encryption, MAC filter, etc)
> there.
>
> Have you ever been able to connect to your wireless network from this
> laptop? If so, what happened just before you stopped being able to do so?
>
> 5hulses wrote:
> > Mine is the only one that I can connect to.. I've already tried to disable &
> > then reable my connection, but that seems not to work either. Any other
> > suggestions?

> >> Windows' wireless network messages are quite misleading. You are
> >> probably NOT connected because of one or more security measures
> >> (encryption password, MAC address filter, etc.) or you are connected to
> >> someone else's network that is not connected to the Internet.
> >>
> >> Are you attempting to connect to your own network? If so, try
> >> temporarily disabling all wireless security on your router and then try
> >> connecting. If that works, re-enable encryption on your router and then
> >> on your laptop.
> >>
> >> If you are attempting to connect to someone else's network, ask them for
> >> assistance.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking
> >>
> >> To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer
> >>

> --
> Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

=?Utf-8?B?NWh1bHNlcw==?=

Lem, just tried to ping & got a "Reguest time out"..what does that mean?

"Lem" wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you've "tried to disable &
> then reable my connection." What steps did you take to do this?
>
> What I meant was that you should go into your router's configuration
> utility and disable the security settings (encryption, MAC filter, etc)
> there.
>
> Have you ever been able to connect to your wireless network from this
> laptop? If so, what happened just before you stopped being able to do so?
>
> 5hulses wrote:
> > Mine is the only one that I can connect to.. I've already tried to disable &
> > then reable my connection, but that seems not to work either. Any other
> > suggestions?

> >> Windows' wireless network messages are quite misleading. You are
> >> probably NOT connected because of one or more security measures
> >> (encryption password, MAC address filter, etc.) or you are connected to
> >> someone else's network that is not connected to the Internet.
> >>
> >> Are you attempting to connect to your own network? If so, try
> >> temporarily disabling all wireless security on your router and then try
> >> connecting. If that works, re-enable encryption on your router and then
> >> on your laptop.
> >>
> >> If you are attempting to connect to someone else's network, ask them for
> >> assistance.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking
> >>
> >> To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer
> >>

> --
> Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

Barb Bowman

power your laptop off.
unplug the router and plug it back in.
wait 60 seconds

power on the laptop

are you still having an issue?

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 08:22:01 -0700, 5hulses
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mine is the only one that I can connect to.. I've already tried to disable &
>then reable my connection, but that seems not to work either. Any other
>suggestions?
>
>"Lem" wrote:
>
>> 5hulses wrote:
>> > I am trying to connect to the internet with a wireless pci card in my laptop
>> > (win xp Pro). Have the icon in the right bottom toolbar which says I am
>> > connected, but when I click on the Internet Explore icon, it cannot find the
>> > server. What is happening here? I already went to Ezlan.net...didn't help
>> > at all.
>> >
>> > TIA

>> Windows' wireless network messages are quite misleading. You are
>> probably NOT connected because of one or more security measures
>> (encryption password, MAC address filter, etc.) or you are connected to
>> someone else's network that is not connected to the Internet.
>>
>> Are you attempting to connect to your own network? If so, try
>> temporarily disabling all wireless security on your router and then try
>> connecting. If that works, re-enable encryption on your router and then
>> on your laptop.
>>
>> If you are attempting to connect to someone else's network, ask them for
>> assistance.
>>
>> --
>> Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking
>>
>> To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

Lem

You just tried to ping what? Regardless, it means that you're not
connected to your router. What almost certainly has happened, given
your description, is that after failing to connect to the router, and
therefore failing to get an IP address from the router's DHCP server,
Windows has automatically assigned an APIPA address (196.254.x.y) to
your laptop's wifi adapter and then reported it to be "connected."

Did you try Barb Bowman's suggestion to power cycle your router?

ato_zee@hotmail.com

On 11-Jun-2007, Lem <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You just tried to ping what? Regardless, it means that you're not
> connected to your router.

Google for the command ipconfig /all, follow the instructions
and post the result here. My guess is that it will show a
complete mess.
You need to have values for your PC's IP Address,
your router which is your route to the outside world,
your DNS server (which may be the same as your router),
it is how web and mail addresses get resolved to
IP addresses. There should also be a subnet mask.
If any of these are incorrect, or missing, things ain't
going to work very well, if at all.
Other points
There are two default IP address ranges
10.0.0.0 to 10.0.0.255 and
192.168.0.0 to 192.168.0.255
all devices should be in one or the
other set, they don't mix very well.
Also turn off your firewall, and router/adapter
security, while debugging the problem.
Beyond that you get into PC management
and error logs. What network services are running,
any exclamation marks against network
devices, what do the logs show.

=?Utf-8?B?NWh1bHNlcw==?=

Powewring off laptop & unpluging router did NOT work....same thing!