Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > virginmedia ftp

virginmedia ftp

gm4jnw@gmail.com

Just joined virginmedia and trying to ftp to website.
Have used various ftp clients throughout the years but this is the
first time I have had problems.

Followed the login details suggested by virginmedia and I get an
immediate disconnect, although it does resolve the ip address.

I emailed virginmedia and they didnt seem to grasp the problem they
just tell me to use explorer as the ftp client as its easier and
suggest

1. Connect to the Internet as normal.
2. Open Internet Explorer.
3. In the address bar type in the following:
ftp://your.username:(E-Mail Removed)
Replace your.username with your username and yourpassword with your
password.
4. Click 'Go' and you should be logged into your webspace.

I knew that anyway but tried it and also tried
ftp://ftp.upload.virgin.net/ in the hope that I would be prompted for
username and password but got the same immediate disconnection.

I thought it was maybe vista and tried my old computer with the same
problem.

Any ideas??

Its not a problem with username or password as I can login to my
account with virginmedia.

Gazwad

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)>, the pitiful-riffraff and large
huckle who likes unrestrained ivory rinses with flamingos, and whose
partner is a cathouse cutie with a big twisted taco, wrote in
<(E-Mail Removed). com>:
> Just joined virginmedia and trying to ftp to website.
> Have used various ftp clients throughout the years but this is the
> first time I have had problems.
>
> Followed the login details suggested by virginmedia and I get an
> immediate disconnect, although it does resolve the ip address.
>
> I emailed virginmedia and they didnt seem to grasp the problem they
> just tell me to use explorer as the ftp client as its easier and
> suggest
>
> 1. Connect to the Internet as normal.
> 2. Open Internet Explorer.
> 3. In the address bar type in the following:
> ftp://your.username:(E-Mail Removed)
> Replace your.username with your username and yourpassword with your
> password.
> 4. Click 'Go' and you should be logged into your webspace.
>
> I knew that anyway but tried it and also tried
> ftp://ftp.upload.virgin.net/ in the hope that I would be prompted for
> username and password but got the same immediate disconnection.
>
> I thought it was maybe vista and tried my old computer with the same
> problem.
>
> Any ideas??
>
> Its not a problem with username or password as I can login to my
> account with virginmedia.

http://www.virgin.net/helpme/freespace/ftp/2.html

Pay attention

is but a dream within a dream.

gm4jnw@gmail.com

Seen the help pages and get as far as the resolving ip then get this:

STATUS:> [09/06/2007 18:32:09] Getting listing ""...
STATUS:> [09/06/2007 18:32:09] Resolving host name
upload.virgin.net...
STATUS:> [09/06/2007 18:32:09] Host name upload.virgin.net resolved:
ip = 194.168.54.120.
STATUS:> [09/06/2007 18:32:09] Connecting to FTP server...
upload.virgin.net:21 (ip = 194.168.54.120)...
STATUS:> [09/06/2007 18:32:09] Socket connected. Waiting for welcome
message...
ERROR:> [09/06/2007 18:32:09] Control connection closed.

With my little knowlege it looks like the username and password is not
being accepted and yes Iam logged on with virginmedia.

Still confused and paying attention!!!

Mike Easter

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Seen the help pages

The help pages are a screenshot about using WSFTP_LE.

> With my little knowlege it looks like the username and password is not
> being accepted and yes Iam logged on with virginmedia.
>
> Still confused and paying attention!!!

You sed...

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I knew that anyway but tried it and also tried
> ftp://ftp.upload.virgin.net/ in the hope that I would be prompted for
> username and password but got the same immediate disconnection.

If you are going to use IE and prompts, you should addressline:

ftp://upload.virgin.net

not ftp.upload for the 4th/3rd level domainnames.

--
Mike Easter

gm4jnw@gmail.com

On 10 Jun, 14:40, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Seen the help pages

> The help pages are a screenshot about using WSFTP_LE.
>
> > With my little knowlege it looks like the username and password is not
> > being accepted and yes Iam logged on with virginmedia.

> > Still confused and paying attention!!!

> You sed...
>
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > I knew that anyway but tried it and also tried
> >ftp://ftp.upload.virgin.net/ in the hope that I would be prompted for
> > username and password but got the same immediate disconnection.

> If you are going to use IE and prompts, you should addressline:
>
> ftp://upload.virgin.net
>
> not ftp.upload for the 4th/3rd level domainnames.
>
> --
> Mike Easter

Sorry Mike just my typo yes used ftp://upload.virgin.net without
success and ftp://your.username:(E-Mail Removed) -
replacing of course with my username and password.
Stil I get: ERROR:> [09/06/2007 18:32:09] Control connection
closed.
- am starting to wonder if the webspace has been created!!
Have emailed support at virgin but they dont seem to reply with the
correct info, have asked them to test the webspace, maybe it will have
to go to second level support.

Mike Easter

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Sorry Mike just my typo yes used ftp://upload.virgin.net without
> success and ftp://your.username:(E-Mail Removed) -
> replacing of course with my username and password.
> Stil I get: ERROR:> [09/06/2007 18:32:09] Control connection
> closed.
> - am starting to wonder if the webspace has been created!!

? What happens if you check
http://freespace.virgin.net/your.username/index.htm ?

What happens if you try the user without the pass:

ftp://(E-Mail Removed)

.... and then enter the pass at the prompt?

> Have emailed support at virgin but they dont seem to reply with the
> correct info, have asked them to test the webspace, maybe it will have
> to go to second level support.

A lot of providertechs don't have that level of support in their
cookbook instructions.

--
Mike Easter

gm4jnw@gmail.com

On 10 Jun, 15:17, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Sorry Mike just my typo yes usedftp://upload.virgin.netwithout
> > success and ftp://your.username:(E-Mail Removed) -
> > replacing of course with my username and password.
> > Stil I get: ERROR:> [09/06/2007 18:32:09] Control connection
> > closed.
> > - am starting to wonder if the webspace has been created!!

> ? What happens if you checkhttp://freespace.virgin.net/your.username/index.htm ?
>
> What happens if you try the user without the pass:
>
> ftp://(E-Mail Removed)
>
> ... and then enter the pass at the prompt?
>
> > Have emailed support at virgin but they dont seem to reply with the
> > correct info, have asked them to test the webspace, maybe it will have
> > to go to second level support.

> A lot of providertechs don't have that level of support in their
> cookbook instructions.
>
> --
> Mike Easter

Dont get prompts Mike just get an instant disconnection but using an
ftp client if I miss out the password I get a popup box and if I put
in my password I get the disconnection - its a mistery - thinking
about the username and password they should be taken from a table that
is used for both login to account and webspace shouldnt they??
If there are 2 tables and one is set wrong then maybe thats the
problem.

If the techy had of tried it am sure he would have discovered this,
guess I'll have to wait for the reply next week.

gm4jnw@gmail.com

On 10 Jun, 15:17, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Sorry Mike just my typo yes usedftp://upload.virgin.netwithout
> > success and ftp://your.username:(E-Mail Removed) -
> > replacing of course with my username and password.
> > Stil I get: ERROR:> [09/06/2007 18:32:09] Control connection
> > closed.
> > - am starting to wonder if the webspace has been created!!

> ? What happens if you checkhttp://freespace.virgin.net/your.username/index.htm ?
>
> What happens if you try the user without the pass:
>
> ftp://(E-Mail Removed)
>
> ... and then enter the pass at the prompt?
>
> > Have emailed support at virgin but they dont seem to reply with the
> > correct info, have asked them to test the webspace, maybe it will have
> > to go to second level support.

> A lot of providertechs don't have that level of support in their
> cookbook instructions.
>
> --
> Mike Easter

Mike if I check http://freespace.virgin.net/les.norton/index.htm or
without the index.html I get
Sorry.We couldn't find the page you were looking for.

Mike Easter

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

Separate topic from your ftp problem.

Your headers show you are using googlegroups instead of an nntp
newsserver; and that your OS/browser is XP IE7. Why don't you
configure IE's OE as a newsreader and use virgin's newsserver^1
news.virgin.net instead of fumbling with GG's interface?

^1 http://www.virgin.net/helpme/newsgroups/general/2.html What are the
Server Settings?

>> ? What happens if you
>> check http://freespace.virgin.net/your.username/index.htm ?

What was the answer to my question there?

> Dont get prompts Mike just get an instant disconnection but using an
> ftp client if I miss out the password I get a popup box and if I put
> in my password I get the disconnection - its a mistery - thinking
> about the username and password they should be taken from a table that
> is used for both login to account and webspace shouldnt they??

You would think.

--
Mike Easter

les

news:466c0eec$0$97233$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> Separate topic from your ftp problem.
>
> Your headers show you are using googlegroups instead of an nntp
> newsserver; and that your OS/browser is XP IE7. Why don't you
> configure IE's OE as a newsreader and use virgin's newsserver^1
> news.virgin.net instead of fumbling with GG's interface?
>
> Mike Easter

Lazyness I guess Mike - I had an isp without newsgroups before - now
subscribed to news.virgin.net

Gosh, where are virginmedia's rants gone? Stuart Redmann C++ 4 10-03-2010 11:20 AM
virginmedia PWB Computer Support 7 05-10-2010 05:07 PM
VirginMedia to VOIP Stanley UK VOIP 4 11-17-2009 04:10 PM
Virginmedia - Broadband Ian Southall Computer Support 5 03-23-2008 08:43 PM
ref:No messages on Virginmedia games!!!!!! michael wiseman Computer Support 1 07-06-2007 03:31 PM

Advertisments