Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > hello

hello

Blinky the Shark

DemoDisk wrote:

> "Blinky the Shark" wrote...
>
>> I'm always amazed by the number of people who can't write (and how

> well
>> can they even read, if they think the above example (the misguided

> email
>> is English?) are drawn to this, a written medium. I don't play the
>> violin -- so I don't drag one out to the street corner and saw away at

> it
>> in public.

> They might pay you to stop...
>
> Oh what the heck, sharks don't play the violin anyway.

Some exceptional ones have. But if I tell you their names I have to eat
you. Anyway, we're actually deeply embedded in music. Shirley, you've
heard of Motshark.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Blinky the Shark

Mara wrote:
> On 10 Jun 2007 18:23:38 GMT, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Mara wrote:

><snip>
>
>>><rant>
>>>
>>> That's just one of the problems with NTL. Like most google-gropers,
>>> etc., they don't seem to make any sense. Even when they use proper
>>> grammar, they *still* don't make any sense, and frankly, I resent
>>> the time I waste trying just to decipher the posts. How are people
>>> this (insert ignorant, lazy, what have you here) going to understand
>>> the answers they're given if they can't write a comprehensive
>>> question?
>>>
>>> This is devolution in action.
>>>
>>></rant>

>>I'm always amazed by the number of people who can't write (and how
>>well can they even read, if they think the above example (the
>>misguided email is English?) are drawn to this, a written medium. I
>>don't play the violin -- so I don't drag one out to the street corner
>>and saw away at it in public.

> I'm with ya. Just look at how many pages there are online about usenet
> etiquette, and yet almost every newbie totally ignores them. Even
> after they arrive here and make fools out of themselves, they *still*
> ignore them. That's why google groupers and ntlers are "famous."

Newbs will pretty much by nature not know about the conventions; but
yes, even after they're SHOWN them by those who are willing to explain
them or via links, as you say they *still* don't get it.

> I like this page:

This is in my "clues" Firefox bookmark folder for them:

http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/unice.htm

> http://www.dur.ac.uk/its/services/usenet/guidelines/
>
> and the Usenet guidelines here:
>
> http://tgos.org/newbie/rules.html

I will look at those two and probably add them to my bookmarks.

> But this one's still my favorite:
>
> http://www.dickgaughan.co.uk/usenet/guide/guide.html

I've used that one, too, and had it bookmarked but started my bookmarks
over from scratch a few months ago and hadn't readded it. Thanks!

>>Q. What's the difference between bagpipes and a lawn mower? A. You
>>can tune a lawnmower.

> But you can't tuna fish.
>
> I know. <GROAN>

If it's not a groaner, it's not worth passing along.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Dan C

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 02:33:18 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

>> Oh what the heck, sharks don't play the violin anyway.

> Some exceptional ones have. But if I tell you their names I have to eat
> you. Anyway, we're actually deeply embedded in music. Shirley, you've
> heard of Motshark.

Yes, love that Motshark.

Another of my favs is that Choppin guy.

Mara

On 11 Jun 2007 02:40:07 GMT, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mara wrote:

<snip>
>> I'm with ya. Just look at how many pages there are online about usenet
>> etiquette, and yet almost every newbie totally ignores them. Even
>> after they arrive here and make fools out of themselves, they *still*
>> ignore them. That's why google groupers and ntlers are "famous."

>Newbs will pretty much by nature not know about the conventions; but
>yes, even after they're SHOWN them by those who are willing to explain
>them or via links, as you say they *still* don't get it.
>
>> I like this page:

>This is in my "clues" Firefox bookmark folder for them:
>
>http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/unice.htm

Nice. I particularly liked the "misusenet" link.

>> http://www.dur.ac.uk/its/services/usenet/guidelines/
>>
>> and the Usenet guidelines here:
>>
>> http://tgos.org/newbie/rules.html

>I will look at those two and probably add them to my bookmarks.
>
>> But this one's still my favorite:
>>
>> http://www.dickgaughan.co.uk/usenet/guide/guide.html

>I've used that one, too, and had it bookmarked but started my bookmarks
>over from scratch a few months ago and hadn't readded it. Thanks!

YW. I really ought to weed out my bookmarks, but haven't had time or a good way
to do it. I still have bookmarks from over 10 years ago.

>>>Q. What's the difference between bagpipes and a lawn mower? A. You
>>>can tune a lawnmower.

>> But you can't tuna fish.
>>
>> I know. <GROAN>

>If it's not a groaner, it's not worth passing along.

LOL

--
Naeser's Law: You can make it foolproof, but you can't make it damnfoolproof.

William Poaster

It was on, or about, Mon, 11 Jun 2007 02:40:07 +0000, that as I was
halfway through a large jam doughnut, Blinky the Shark wrote:

<snip>
> If it's not a groaner, it's not worth passing along.

Ah, the old groaner...err...wait a minute wasn't that Bing Crosby...

--
Using X-No-Archive suggests the post is of little value &
not worth archiving. Anyone marking *all* their posts

Evan Platt

On 11 Jun 2007 02:33:18 GMT, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Some exceptional ones have. But if I tell you their names I have to eat
>you. Anyway, we're actually deeply embedded in music. Shirley, you've
>heard of Motshark.

Hey was that you in Saturday Night Live?

"Candygram....

Plumber....."

Blinky the Shark

Evan Platt wrote:
> On 11 Jun 2007 02:33:18 GMT, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Some exceptional ones have. But if I tell you their names I have to eat
>>you. Anyway, we're actually deeply embedded in music. Shirley, you've
>>heard of Motshark.

> Hey was that you in Saturday Night Live?
>
> "Candygram....

"Girl Scout cookies..."

http://blinkynet.net/stuff/incoming.jpg

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

DemoDisk

"William Poaster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)704.eu...
> It was on, or about, Mon, 11 Jun 2007 02:40:07 +0000, that as I was
> halfway through a large jam doughnut, Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > If it's not a groaner, it's not worth passing along.

> Ah, the old groaner...err...wait a minute wasn't that Bing Crosby...

Crooner. Though he may have groaned before passing.