Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > SATA HD shows up as removable drive in XP?!

SATA HD shows up as removable drive in XP?!

JoeBlo

I have a new SATA hd as my main boot drive. It shows up as a removable drive
in the system tray.

Not sure what to think of this, but I'd like to fix this.

The drive is a Western Digital 160 gig Caviar SE.
MB is an XFX 680i LT.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"JoeBlo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a new SATA hd as my main boot drive. It shows up as a removable drive
>in the system tray.
>
>Not sure what to think of this, but I'd like to fix this.
>
>The drive is a Western Digital 160 gig Caviar SE.
>MB is an XFX 680i LT.
>
>Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Odd for sure, try this
In Explorer, right click on C:\ drive, Properties, Hardware Tab,
Double click on your Drive, Policies.

See if it's set for quick removal, and if you can change it from
there.
--

Undercover cop who pulls gun during a road rage incident
learns about the second amendment.

Yorkshire Pete

On 09 Jun 2007 JoeBlo wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk

> I have a new SATA hd as my main boot drive. It shows up as a removable
> drive in the system tray.
>
> Not sure what to think of this, but I'd like to fix this.
>
> The drive is a Western Digital 160 gig Caviar SE.
> MB is an XFX 680i LT.
>
> Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Western Digital drives die so fast they are now considered removable just
like a floppy is.

--
D?
Yorkshire Pete

Fred

JoeBlo wrote:
> I have a new SATA hd as my main boot drive. It shows up as a
> removable drive in the system tray.
>
> Not sure what to think of this, but I'd like to fix this.
>
> The drive is a Western Digital 160 gig Caviar SE.
> MB is an XFX 680i LT.
>
> Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

I believe that's what happens when you use the NVIDIA drivers for the drive
controller.
Probably because it's part of the SATA spec that they are supposed to be
hot-swappable.
If it bothers you try changing to the Microsoft driver.
I don't think there will be a performance hit but it's easy enough to run
some benchmarks before and after to be sure.

old man

Its a design feature of your chipset, as sata is designed to be hot
swapable.
Since you cannot eject the o/s drive it doesnt really matter & there is
nothing to fix

"JoeBlo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a new SATA hd as my main boot drive. It shows up as a removable

drive
> in the system tray.
>
> Not sure what to think of this, but I'd like to fix this.
>
> The drive is a Western Digital 160 gig Caviar SE.
> MB is an XFX 680i LT.

Meat Plow

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 04:43:16 +0000, Yorkshire Pete wrote:

> On 09 Jun 2007 JoeBlo wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
>
>> I have a new SATA hd as my main boot drive. It shows up as a removable
>> drive in the system tray.
>>
>> Not sure what to think of this, but I'd like to fix this.
>>
>> The drive is a Western Digital 160 gig Caviar SE.
>> MB is an XFX 680i LT.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
>>

> Western Digital drives die so fast they are now considered removable just
> like a floppy is.

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAh!
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
#8 AUK Hate Machine Cog