Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Xp association with none-beaconed SSID

Xp association with none-beaconed SSID

=?Utf-8?B?TmljLkY=?=

Ok scenario;
Cisco 1120b access point with a guest network and ssid, and a private
none-beaconed ssid.

Problem;
WinXp is configured to associate only with Infrastructure networks, in the
preferred networks part of the wireless lan config, the private network SSID
is listed first, with the guest SSID second. On trying to connect to the wlan
private network, Xp ignores the order of the preferred networks and
immediately associates with the beaconed guest ssid. But what i need is the
pc to associate with the private ssid and then i use a vpn client to connect
- that is unless i am out of reach of the private ssid (a railway staion
etc..), when i can associate with a public hotspot.

Microsoft state that Xp follows the order of preferred networks in it's
selection of network to attach to, but in my case it simply doesn't and plums
for the beaconed ssid over the top of everything. The only way to associate
with the private ssid is to configure wep on the guest ssid, hence i then
can't associate with it.

Any suggestions?

Steve Riley [MSFT]

By design. http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;811427

Change your 1120b so that it will broadcast its SSID. Keeping it private
doesn't increase your security at all.

Steve Riley

news:(E-Mail Removed)...